Not a Barry supporter.

Grips and Front derailler question

OK, my Sugar is about 27 lbs. I just bought some Sugino rings to lighten up from my RF. I also just bought some Maxxis Minotaurs to lighten up from the wire beaded NanoRaptors. I'm getting super light tubes next paycheck. I'm thinking I can get this bike down to around 25 lbs. Not 'super light' like some bikes here but a helluva difference from my Id which is 30lbs.

So who makes foam grips? Are they comfortable enough for several 24 hour races this year? Should I switch the XT F. Der. from my Id with the LX one on the Sugar now? Or should I just save the money and run my current grips and get a lighter BB than the XT (square taper) I have now? I don't really have the money to spend on a FSA ti or anything like that, like I would like. Or the other thing I could do is switch out my Bontrager flat bars (yes Bontrager sucks big time and I hate the bar but...) for a set of EA70 bars or carbon flat bars.

What do you professional 'weight weenies' think?

Thanks
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Moderator Moderator

Grips,yes, FD, no

The foam grips are perfectly comfortable, in my opinion. You basically will have to try them, grip choice is very subjective and I know some people who hate them.

Front derailleur aren't worth messing with. You'll save at most 20 grams or so, which isn't worth the effort or the cost unless there's nothing left to change. Your XT (depending on year) is probably the same weight or heavier than your LX anyway. So leave the FD alone for now.

If you're set on square tape, D8 has some nice light bottom brackets for cheap - They're around 170 grams, which will save you 60-70 over your XT - if he's still selling them. Check http://home.ca.inter.net/~kroberge/partsale.html - as I recall, they were $50. You may be able to find something at cambria or other sites for cheap as well, square taper is no longer popular.

Now that you've done all the rubber bits of your bike (tires, tubes, grips) saving weight starts to get expensive and/or involve making tradeoffs. To really tell you what to buy, you'd need to post a complete list of parts, but I can tell you right now that there aren't a whole lot of other cheap ways to save weight.

But...
    -Replace your rim strips with fiberglass packing tape. Saves ~30g. $3 for a roll of tape.
    -Cut off extra seatpost length. Saves 0-100g, depending on length. Don't cut too short! Free.
    -Remove bar ends. If you've got them, and you don't like them. Saves ~100g. Free.
    -Whip out the dremel tool or some files and sandpaper. Scary! Saves as much as you're willing to file off. Free. Not for the faint of heart or technically unsavvy folks. If in doubt, don't do it!
    -Remove granny gear. If you're a big stud and don't need it. Saves ~30-50g. Free.

Hope that helps!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

skip the tubes!

Skip the ultra light tubes and get a Stan's Tubeless kit. It can't weigh any more than some ultra light tubes and you won't get pinch flats. I use this stuff and ride along at 27 psi ( I weigh 160#) with no problem. The extra traction helps on the climbs and corners and on rough surfaces you actually have less rolling resistance.

Sublime Absurdity
    I get my foam grips from www.foamtubing.com - ~5$ a pair.
    I personally find foam to be way more comfortable than hard rubber.
    Unless you keep your hands in the exact same spot on the bar in all conditions, I would recommend against getting the contoured kind.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Lactic Acid is my friend.

forget the foam grip

I've had them in the past and thought they were the greatest. Then I tried road grip tape. Man, what a difference. They are super comfortable and abosrbed sweat, and if you have larger hands, they are larger. They cost a lot less than foam grips (one package for $12 gets you enough for 3 pairs of grips) and they are as light.

I would think also, that they would be preferred in enduraces-type races.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Thanks for the info Walt. I'm not that much of a weight weenie. I think 25 lbs. will be light enough. Below that, and I'm afraid the bike will start to feel 'flimsy.' Not a good feeling for racing.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    I get my foam grips from www.foamtubing.com - ~5$ a pair.
    I personally find foam to be way more comfortable than hard rubber.
    Unless you keep your hands in the exact same spot on the bar in all conditions, I would recommend against getting the contoured kind.
    Thanks for the link...
    I was curious which grips you prefer? I was looking at the CE Foam Grips Extra Firm or the CE Foam Grips No Contour. Have you tried either of these?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Sublime Absurdity
    I have been using the contoured grips for a month or so now. I am thinking about trying out the road grip tape because the foam grips don't want to stay put. I put them on with an air compressor and no hairspray (I like to swap bars for different conditions and stuff - plus the smell of aquanet would make me remember the the heavy metal chick I used to date when I was 18 - ick). I position them on the bar a little outbound from the shifters, and they always end up shoved up tight by the end of the ride. I was just going to buy the non contoured ones, but the other night I went out in a serious downpour and one of the grips started spinning super loose. Beleive me that a spinning grip is bad news. I was riding on wet ice without my studded tires and the spinning grip kept me from giving the bar the body english necessary to deal with the ridges in the ice - went down hard three times in a row and then had to walk through all the icy sections.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream