Compulsive Bike Builder

Great service from USE, Easton, Kenda, Answer

Wow, a lot of bike parts have been breaking on me over the last few months. Life with lightweight parts as an amateur mechanic. I sat down to write about one item and came up with several. We get horror stories about lightweight parts and vendors on this board as well as good stories, too. These all fall under the "good stories" list.

I use a USE (pun intended) seatpost on my roadbike. The "alien" head had gotten to where it had to be tightened way past what the installation guide called for and was still coming loose. After a few friendly emails back and forth with USE, I received a complete new upper set of blocks, screws, washers, etc. for free. Very nice and it fixed the problem.

Similar experience with Easton, courtesy of their US distributor, Veltec. My EC70 had "stripped" out the interlocking teeth. A few friendly emails resulted in a free upper set of hardware for my post.

My Kenda Kaliente rear tire had developed a scary looking bulge. I removed it and discovered a separated casing in one spot. I contacted Kenda via email and sent along some pics. Jim at Kenda is very friendly, exhanged a bunch of emails with me, and is replacing the tire and throwing in a few tubes.

I bought a Manitou Minute 3 used from the mtbr board. The first time I twisted the damping dial it broke off. I dropped it off at a LBS and asked them to see what the local Answer rep would do. For $10 shipping Answer replaced the whole damping assembly.

I could have contributed to these problems I suppose, but I don't think so. I just avoid angry rants and threats and say that while I may have contributed to the problem, I dont think so. Most vendors seem very happy to help out.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

newbie boobie.

... and if we just ...

It's good to know that not every company is going to say "your fault, deal with it". I like companies that stand behind their product. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    Wow, a lot of bike parts have been breaking on me over the last few months. Life with lightweight parts as an amateur mechanic. I sat down to write about one item and came up with several. We get horror stories about lightweight parts and vendors on this board as well as good stories, too. These all fall under the "good stories" list.

I use a USE (pun intended) seatpost on my roadbike. The "alien" head had gotten to where it had to be tightened way past what the installation guide called for and was still coming loose. After a few friendly emails back and forth with USE, I received a complete new upper set of blocks, screws, washers, etc. for free. Very nice and it fixed the problem.

Similar experience with Easton, courtesy of their US distributor, Veltec. My EC70 had "stripped" out the interlocking teeth. A few friendly emails resulted in a free upper set of hardware for my post.

My Kenda Kaliente rear tire had developed a scary looking bulge. I removed it and discovered a separated casing in one spot. I contacted Kenda via email and sent along some pics. Jim at Kenda is very friendly, exhanged a bunch of emails with me, and is replacing the tire and throwing in a few tubes.

I bought a Manitou Minute 3 used from the mtbr board. The first time I twisted the damping dial it broke off. I dropped it off at a LBS and asked them to see what the local Answer rep would do. For $10 shipping Answer replaced the whole damping assembly.

I could have contributed to these problems I suppose, but I don't think so. I just avoid angry rants and threats and say that while I may have contributed to the problem, I dont think so. Most vendors seem very happy to help out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What email addy did you use for USE? Been trying to get ahold of those guys for a year to get a replacement part. Sent them a couple of emails and no responce.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How do you contact USE?

I've been trying to get ahold of USE for a while for replacement parts. They don't respond to the e-mail addresses they list. Do you have a contact?