mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Grease or no grease

Its been a while since I've wrenched on bikes and I just picked up some Al crank fixing bolts which I'll be threading into a Ti bottom bracket. I also got some Al brake posts with which I'll be securing the brake arms with Ti bolts. Should I use grease or Ti prep in either of these applications?
    Thanks.Grease or no grease-0714131448-00.jpgGrease or no grease-0714131449-00.jpgGrease or no grease-0714131518-00.jpg

ups and downs
    Ti prep anti=seize for sure - which could be an issue for a situation where a thread locking compound might normally be used. And it may affect the torque reading on the crank bolts, as it has a lube base, so be careful with tightening the crank bolts.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Grease or no grease

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Ti prep anti=seize for sure - which could be an issue for a situation where a thread locking compound might normally be used. And it may affect the torque reading on the crank bolts, as it has a lube base, so be careful with tightening the crank bolts.
    I thought loctite was antiseize too? Couldn't you just use some blue loctite and solve all your problems?

From the loctite website: "It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration."

mtbr member
    Ti-prep for Ti.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the responses! I used Blue Locktite #243 on the Al brake stud threads into the frame and fork as per Extralite instructions and Copper anti seize on the Ti connections. The Locktite I found in a Auto parts store and I can't remember where I got the Copper anti seize, most likely the same place.
    I saved 38 grams over the original steel bits at a cost of $1.96 per g.
    Thanks to Fairwheel Bikes for including these hard to find parts in there Extralite order.

ups and downs
    No guarantee that Loctite will prevent galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals, with fasteners of the same metal and conventional water generated corrosion it can help with. Ti anti-seize has the conductive copper paste in it to "short circuit" the interface between dissimilar metals.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada