mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. Good Crankset weight?

I have a question, I'm looking to get a new lighter crankset and was wondering what is a good weight? I've seen whole set's weighing sub-800g and then 900+g. I don't need the absolute lightest but I'm currently running: Crankset - Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline (this came stock on my FSR XC Pro). I know it's not the lightest so any suggestions on possible lighter replacements, that aren't XTR expensive? Thanks a lot.

banned

around 600-630g

the 03 XT are 627g. you could also get a 03 LX crankset and replace the steel granny chainring and steel chainring bolts and you are the same weight as XT but at a lower price.

light arms typically weigh around 400-420g. most weight can be saved with rings and bolts anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Is it hard....

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    the 03 XT are 627g. you could also get a 03 LX crankset and replace the steel granny chainring and steel chainring bolts and you are the same weight as XT but at a lower price.

light arms typically weigh around 400-420g. most weight can be saved with rings and bolts anyway.
    To replace the steel chainring? I'm sorry I'm relatively new to MTBing, but where would I get the replacement chainring @ the lbs, internet, or,,,,? As far as the bolts what would you recommend using instead Alum or Ti? Also would I need a new BB? Thanks again!

MaL*size=

No good

the problem with shimano is the bottom bracket.

Its very stiff and strong and cheap, but really heavy. And shimano hollow cranksets are the best but you have to use a heavy octalink bottom bracket.

The new type of crankset are heavy too because of the integrated bb that is made of steel, not alu.

So square taper or isis are the best systems by the moment in lightness. Maybe the new truvativ stylo team have alu integrated axle...

What about a carbon power arms with scandium integrated axle and ceramic bearings??

good luck