Thread: Give me a break

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Give me a break

Please tell me no one has ever bought these to save weight

crankbrothers Egg Beater 11 Pedals - Free Shipping at REI.com

mtbr member
    I believe Ben Franklin said:"A fool and his money are easily parted".
    (I am OLD and "don't get out much", BUT I am willing to bet SOMEONE out there has bought some of those pedals. A "TRUE/REAL weight weenie would scrimp and save and get a 3rd job to get a pair.......just saying......
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

Maromero
    Are these the ones??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Give me a break-eggbeaters-11.jpg  

ups and downs
    Heck no that would be crazy. Instead I have a pair of 2Ti pedals that were on sale for $250/pr and a $54/pr of Ward Industries Ti spindles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Give me a break-2012_0912new0001.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Plays with tools
    The sad part is they fall apart just as fast as the $80 pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

... and if we just ...

doccorage you are nuts!. You have them? The 2Ti's are even crazy at that price. couldn't imagine showing my friends at the trail my new pedals then telling them how much I paid. I think they would ride off without me. But I would have a lighter bike.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    The sad part is they fall apart just as fast as the $80 pedals.
    I keep hearing that but I have 3 pairs of the 2Ti's on 3 bikes and have never had a failure in the 5 years I've owned these, and never had a failure in the 3 pairs of Eggbeater SL's before that.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I keep hearing that but I have 3 pairs of the 2Ti's on 3 bikes and have never had a failure in the 5 years I've owned these, and never had a failure in the 3 pairs of Eggbeater SL's before that.
    I had problems with two of the estoy

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    I had problems with two of the estoy
    Say what?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Say what?
    OK, couldn't type on the cellphone, sorry for the confusion generated
    Now, back on topic, I had problems with two of the early EB versions, both on the spindle, on both CB took care of replacing them with new pedals, no question asked. After that I've had 2Ti and 4Ti with no problems at all for about 4 years.
    I didn't pay full price for them, I got them for $300 on e-bay and I didn't loose weight by changing them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Give me a break-eggbeaters-tuned.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have the original 4ti pedals. Riding home the entire pedal body came off the spindle. I think Eggs and Crank Brothers in general make decent products but they will fail, usually in a huge way.

but to myfun, you're in the wrong place if you want to complain about people spending way too much money to save only a few grams. Those pedals are actually a pretty good deal compared to some of the other things you'll see in here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I have the original 4ti pedals. Riding home the entire pedal body came off the spindle. I think Eggs and Crank Brothers in general make decent products but they will fail, usually in a huge way.

but to myfun, you're in the wrong place if you want to complain about people spending way too much money to save only a few grams. Those pedals are actually a pretty good deal compared to some of the other things you'll see in here.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've spent quite a few dollars myself getting my bike down in weight over the years. I just never noticed the price of those pedals vs the weight savings. I'll admit, my comments come from envy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    New CB11 pedals sell for $260 or$280 on a well known auction site.

Never pay retail...

mtbr member
    May 2007

I must say

You sound familiar.
    And yes I have the 4Tis.
    They look quite at home on my S-Works.
    Sorry you can't afford them.
    LS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Give me a break-juno-awards_1980_027_martinshort%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Crazy-expensive $$$ per gram compared to lighter tires. Crazy-cheap $$$ per gram compared to bespoke carbon fibre chain rings. I bought a pair of the Ti Candys, used. They were scuffed and cheap, so they looked as if I'd already owned them for a few months. So far, nobody has asked me why my pedals aren't in showroom condition.

But yeah, these things are pricey!

p.s. I fit helps you rationalize buying them, pedals are rotational weight just like wheels. As are your shoes!