mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Getting a lighter seat

I love my wtb volt race seat that came stock on my tallboy ltc. it fits me perfectly and I can ride for hours. I want to save some weight but I dont really want to experiment by buying an expensive lightweight seat that is not comfortable. Does anyone have suggestions on how to select a seat that has a high chance of fitting properly?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    I love my wtb volt race seat that came stock on my tallboy ltc. it fits me perfectly and I can ride for hours. I want to save some weight but I dont really want to experiment by buying an expensive lightweight seat that is not comfortable. Does anyone have suggestions on how to select a seat that has a high chance of fitting properly?
    Buy one used off ebay at a good price, you can always resell it for what you basically paid for it.

mtbr member
    Finding the right saddle is a real crapshoot, and I have several of them in my basement that haven't worked out. You can't go by shape, and sometimes if the shape is a good fit, the padding could feel weird. Even worse - a recommendaion from someone else is meaningless because your fit needs are unique.

My only 1 good bit of advice: if you find a saddle you love, buy a 2nd one in case they stop making them!

Scottz makes a good point about selling the ones that don't work out for you, 'cause as I mentioned they can accumulate.

On a semi-related note - I did a review of a carbon saddle a while back, and you aren't going to get much lighter than that. There's a comfort price to be paid if you're in the saddle a lot (like on a stretch of road), but I don't notice anything when I'm in and out of the saddle on singletrack. All that said, as I mentioned above, my "review" of a saddle still won't help you with the actual fit:
    Review: eBay Full Carbon Saddle (SD-005)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bought a Selle Italia SLR XC Saddle (170gr) that was a 'demo' off ebay. $66 shipped to door. Could not tell it from new. Admittedly it does have a emblem on it that says "demo".
    Admittedly I have not used it yet with midwest winters. But, at least I did not pay $100 or whatever new price is. If it does not work out for me, I will just resell it. I do wear top quality bike shorts

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just built a 21lb 29er so I love to save weight as much as the next guy, but truth be told I switched back to a heavier seat just for comfort's sake.

Here's the trouble, when saving weight, seats are often the worst place to really compromise. Comfort will keep you in the saddle longer, pedal harder, etc...

I would vote for Selle SL, or SLR, but the heavier SL is comfy.

Please note: your advantage would be mostly psychological if you lost 100g on the bikes weight with a lighter seat.
    I would rather a heavy comfy seat and a really nice light set of wheels than the other way around. Again, a seat is a bad place to compromise.
    My 2c, if it's just the seat you intend to switch and the bike is not race worthy, pedal harder more often and keep the seat you love, find a different place to worry about a few grams. When you reach a personal cycling milestone, reward your bike with something shiny, and use that warm fuzzy for motivation to develop more cycling milestones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You're looking at this the wrong way. Comfort and performance are for guys with 30lb bikes. What really counts is how your bike performs when it's hanging from a scale. Chuck that seat and don't look back.

mtbr member
    This seem like a good compromise of comfort and weight. I'm considering this as a saddle option. What does everyone think? Anyone riding one?

Fizik Antares 00 Carbon Braided Saddle - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    This seem like a good compromise of comfort and weight. I'm considering this as a saddle option. What does everyone think? Anyone riding one?

Fizik Antares 00 Carbon Braided Saddle - Competitive Cyclist
    Ouch...$320. That's a lot of $ per gram for me. It better be comfortable....

I would not buy a new one without a 'test ride' first - but that's just me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Ouch...$320. That's a lot of $ per gram for me. It better be comfortable....

I would not buy a new one without a 'test ride' first - but that's just me
    I agree, it is expensive...but if its as comfortable as they say it is, well then I may pull the trigger.

Anyone have one of these???

mtbr member
    Dude, it looks super-sweet, but you can't tell by looking. Also, even if someone else has this in the forum and loves it, it means nothing 'cause your sit bones will differ. (Unless he is your long-lost twin brother, thought to be dead in a freak tuna canning incident. He managed to survive, but lost his memory and wandered away, only to be adopted by a kind family. This family had an obsession with bike weight which transferred to the kid. He then seeks out the lightest saddles, posting in this forum. Not only did he buy the saddle you're asking about, but his sit bones are identical to yours because he's your twin!)

mtbr member
    I'm always weary of saddles that don't have a cut-out/groove down the middle. I had an SLR and just couldn't get on with it. Switched to a Spesh Phenom (which has a groove) and it was miles more comfy IMO. Now have a Spesh Toupe (even bigger groove and more flexy).

psycho cyclo addict
    It depends on a lot of factors- most notably, how different saddles affect your sit bones and the surrounding muscles.

For many years I rode a Brooks B17... painful to break in (for 2+ months as I recall) but it still fits like and old glove after nearly 20 years.

I stumbled upon Selle Italia's as the result of purchasing a used 29er that came with one. I discovered that different saddle designs do not bother me (which I attribute in part to starting with a Brooks saddle) so these days I have: the Brooks, two Selle Italia's (Flow with hole in the middle and the lightest one I own: Check-It with no hole), a cheapy and light Giant and a shelved WTB rocket). I've ridden the Check-It in 9-hour endurance races and 50+ mile MTB rides with no major issues (I don't use buttr of any kind either).

I also purchased a Selle San Marco Women's Apside for my girlfriend's sub 22 lb. carbon hard tail. She wasn't thrilled by the look of it but found it to be very comfortable (and she's PICKY to put it mildly!).

You may find that a few more g's is a lot more comfortable which might make all the difference on really long rides. In my case the only thing that gets to me is long rides in rain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sette makes some good saddles that are affordable and light. I currently have their AMP model and I love it. I ride without chamois and it's relatively comfy and not to heavy at 240g.

mtbr member
    I ride a Selle San Marco Aspide carbon fx, you can find them on sale for about $125 and they weigh 135 grams. Personally I think its very comfortable. They also make a metal railed version that you can probably get for under $100 and they are claimed to weigh 165 grams. Although saddle comfort is an individual thing I'd recommend trying out the Aspide

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bontrager Evoke RXL

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Getting a lighter seat

My stock saddle and post are 730gms, any idea if I could cut that in half for pretty cheap? Was also looking for suggestions on saddles and seat posts.... Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by octanejake View Post
    I ride a Selle San Marco Aspide carbon fx, you can find them on sale for about $125 and they weigh 135 grams. Personally I think its very comfortable. They also make a metal railed version that you can probably get for under $100 and they are claimed to weigh 165 grams. Although saddle comfort is an individual thing I'd recommend trying out the Aspide
    This x100 - I use one on my XC bike and CX bike - extremely comfortable and durable.

131g for one and 135g for the other - although it says 118g on the package....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    My stock saddle and post are 730gms, any idea if I could cut that in half for pretty cheap? Was also looking for suggestions on saddles and seat posts.... Anyone?
    not sure what your budget is but a selle san marco aspide racing team is ~165g and can be found for ~$100. Pair this with a Woodman Carbo EL seat post, cost $150 and the 30.9mmX350mm size weighed 133g. Total weight would be ~300 grams and cost $250, saves you about 430 grams which is close to a full pound!

mtbr member
    I have a Selle San Marco ASPIDE RACING TEAM with XSILTE rails, it was on my sons bike for a less then a month. It's like new $50 plus shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting a lighter seat-san-marco1.jpg  

Getting a lighter seat-san-marco2.jpg  

Getting a lighter seat-san-marco3.jpg  

Getting a lighter seat-san-marco5.jpg  

Getting a lighter seat-san-marco4.jpg