mtbr member

German Rolling Resistance Scans

Does anyone have the whole collection or at least some of the older and any newer German RR scans? I tried the search, but most of those old threads are so old that the photos no longer exist.

mtbr member
    Someone has got to have at least a couple of these.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    Someone has got to have at least a couple of these.
    i have them ALL...but i still haven't found the time to post

soon

banned

here we go...

just don't compare numbers from one test with another test! they are done on different machines different temperature etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned

more...

just don't compare numbers from one test with another test! they are done on different machines different temperature etc...

the graphs in the middle are very interesting:
    the germans show the influence of different terrain , different pressure and different tire widths. sorry...it's too much to translate.

and finally the blue graphs show rollingresistance of road tires. also pretty HUGE differences!

there's more on my compiutere hidden somewhere...

mtbr member
    Thank you very much Nino. Those are exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest also, if you can find them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm very interested in some figures from the Schwalbe Nobby Nic. Would like too see a comparisation with some other tyres.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nokian NBX 2.2?
    Last edited by mattpage; 02-28-2006 at 05:17 AM.

Hell it's a Vet!!
    Oct 2005
    With this tyre?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Nino please translate;

Quote Originally Posted by nino

the graphs in the middle are very interesting:
    the germans show the influence of different terrain , different pressure and different tire widths. sorry...it's too much to translate.

and finally the blue graphs show rollingresistance of road tires. also pretty HUGE differences!

there's more on my compiutere hidden somewhere...
    1) Durchschlagschutz and how it corresponds into CM(centimeters)

2) Durchschlagfestigkeit ?

I have tried to translate both of these terms and it doesn’t make much sense, your help would be greatly appreciated !

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle

I have tried to translate both of these terms and it doesn’t make much sense, your help would be greatly appreciated !
    both are terms for puncture resistance of tires.

they test tires by letting a metal bar fall onto the tire/rim combination. so the higher the height (in centimeters) means the better a tires resist bottoming...getting a puncture.

it's the test on top of the three tests shown below. the middle one shows a penetrating test where a given object tries to penetrate a tire.

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle

1) Not sure what the literal translation to English is for this one.

2) Translates literally as "disruptive strength", which in this case means "puncture resistance".

3) "rolling resistance"

Recovering couch patato
    Funny that the Twister Pro rolled so slowly in that last scan. Would it perform so much differently from the Supersonics version, or just a totally different type of test making for different relative results between tires? A Big Jim rolling faster than a skinny Jimmy as well as a Twister, that should come as a shock to some...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Funny that the Twister Pro rolled so slowly in that last scan. Would it perform so much differently from the Supersonics version, or just a totally different type of test making for different relative results between tires? A Big Jim rolling faster than a skinny Jimmy as well as a Twister, that should come as a shock to some...
    the last scan are all UST tires!!!

just shows there's a huge difference between UST and regular tires...the industry always makes us believe the UST roll faster...well - NOT SO!

Recovering couch patato
    Oh, UST! Well, the Fast Fred got a good reading three, at least compared to the others. Perhaps one brand's UST is just better than the other.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it looks to me like the ust tires roll pretty fast. 21 watts for a python seems good to me. Or fast fred ust I belive is lower than the regular one???

Recovering couch patato
    Walter, as said above, don't try to compare readings between tests. Turn the stupid barrel a bit faster and the resistance goes up accordingly.

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    "Durchschlag" means nothing more than snake-bite.

"Durchschlagschutz" means snake-bite resistance.

Puncture resistance would be "Durchstichfestigkeit" in German.

Also this charts tell you that a wider tire with less pressure has less rolling resistant in offroading conditions.

This seems to be contra-productive for the weightweenie, because wider tires are usualy heavier.

A little side note to the tests shown above:They do it with every tires tested in the last few years,sometimes with very different results for the exact same tires a year later.Worthless in my opinion.If I would have a scanner I could post up manny of this tests but sadly I don't have one.

Later
    RaD

banned

differences...

Quote Originally Posted by RaD

A little side note to the tests shown above:They do it with every tires tested in the last few years,sometimes with very different results for the exact same tires a year later.Worthless in my opinion.If I would have a scanner I could post up manny of this tests but sadly I don't have one.

Later
    RaD
    as i said in my first reply you can't compare the numbers since most tests are dine with different setups. there are different ways to test tires and so are the results. and on the other hand ANY tire is different than the next tire of the same brand and size.

i just had the opportunity to weigh piles of Schwalbe tires at the swiss importers stock and found tires weight varies within 80 grams per tire!!! so rest assured the lighter tire has a different reading than the heavy one...

these tests are done with given weights on the axles. some have 40 kilos, some have 50 kilos...also speeds at which the test are different.

i can only say that when i tested the Nokian NBX Lite the first time it was really just because it had the fastest readings. and i really was surprised to see these results were true as my speed went up considerably. i got 5% faster by just using these tires!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looking at the top chart I see the mosquito ust and the mosquito lite have almost the same rolling resistance in the same test? I dont the big diffrence in UST unless I am reading it wrong??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter C
    Looking at the top chart I see the mosquito ust and the mosquito lite have almost the same rolling resistance in the same test? I dont the big diffrence in UST unless I am reading it wrong??
    Another difference is that the UST is a 2.0 and the other is a 2.3. I have both a 2.0 and 2.3 but both in non-UST. The 2.0 has very small knobs and the 2.3 is much more aggresive. This would lead me to believe that there is even less of an advantage in RR with UST, at least with this model. Even though larger casings sometimes have less RR, I think in the case of the Mosquito, the larger one would have more due to the knobs.

Members who have read this thread: 1