mtbr member
    May 2005

Genius CR1 Frame Weight

I know I've asked before, but didn't really get a useful response, so thought I'd try again just in case.

Does anybody know the frame (with shock) weight for a Scott Genius RC carbon frameset? Since I don't have a Scott brochure, and can't find one, I'd be interested in a Scott claimed weight if anybody knows that, as Scott are usually fairly reliable on claimed weights, though obviously a genuine weighed one would be better. Preferably a medium size, as that's what I'd get.

Trail rider and racer
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

2005 catalog

I have a 2005 scott ( usa edtion) catalog list Genius RC LTD frame set at 2130 grams &
    4.68 lbs, Genius MC LTD Frame set at 2250 grams 4.95 lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle
    I have a 2005 scott ( usa edtion) catalog list Genius RC LTD frame set at 2130 grams &
    4.68 lbs, Genius MC LTD Frame set at 2250 grams 4.95 lbs
    One note on those weights: they are for medium frames, and the 'stock' frames (not the limited framesets) come in about 100g heavier. I haven't weighed my Genius RC (large) when stripped down, but Scott are usually very accurate with their weights.

Smiker

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Yes thanks - only a 2004 listed. I wouldn't have asked otherwise!

Oh, and thanks for the useful replies below. It's a medium Ltd frameset I'm looking at, so those weights should be accurate, and not any heavier than my current Strike 20 by the looks of things, which is good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

New question here.

Does anyone know (Nino?) why Scott doesn't just drop the Horst Link off the Chainstays and move it up to the Seatstays??? Turner recently did this so it sounds like there wouldn't be a huge difference in performance.
    - Sorry to kinda highjack the thread...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Does anyone know (Nino?) why Scott doesn't just drop the Horst Link off the Chainstays and move it up to the Seatstays??? Turner recently did this so it sounds like there wouldn't be a huge difference in performance.
    - Sorry to kinda highjack the thread...
    Does anybody know why the US patent office is so silly that they granted a patent on something for which there was plenty of prior art, such that other legitimate manufacturers are prevented by the threat of expensive lawsuits from legitimately selling products in the USA which they can sell in other countries where it is impossible to patent something that's not new?

From a technical point of view, you might as well have a swingarm (as Scott did before with the Strike) as a seatstay pivot, hence losing all of the (claimed) advantages of the Genius system. I have to admit I'm convinced enough to want to switch despite the fact I could go lighter with a replacement Strike.

Members who have read this thread: 0