mtbr member

furious fred or Bontrager 93-0/XR0

Was wondering if anyone has any advice on these two tires Furious fred and XR0 or 29-0 which I guess is the same? I can't seem to find the furious fred 29 in stock anywhere. I currently run XR1 and love them, they are the fastest tire I've ridden. I weigh 130 and ride pretty tame single tracks here in the midwest so I'm not afraid to go super light. Any recommandation be great THanks Brandon
    Last edited by 5power; 04-14-2011 at 10:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is anyone using those xr0 Bonties as tubeless with sealant? I din't wan't to risk with FF (imo for non tubeles version side walls are joke ) I have touched xr0 @ local shop and side walls looks much thicker. Even though they are not listed as TL-ready I'm thinking about to give it a try. (in my case 26")

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    I've used the XR-0 26" (converted to tubeless on both UST and NoTubes rims) and it's a fantastic tire for the right conditions. I really like the tread layout on it, and it would be a really good tire for most places in the midwest except on greasy wet stuff or the rocky gnarly stuff up north (northern MN, UP). Furious fried is ok but less shoulder, so a little more sketch on the corners. For a tire with a higher-than-normal risk of sidewall tear, I think the Freds are too expensive as well. My vote is for the XR-0 (or 29-0).
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    Sweet just order a rear xr-o, I'll be running rocket Ron up front. Thanks for the quick feed back had my mind set on freds but at 400 grams for xr-0 this might be the better option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've used Freds in both 26 sizes for the past 3 seasons and 29er size last season. They are very terrain specific - hard pack or loam only - no rocks or they will cut. On the right course, they are just awesomely fast to accelerate. They have little to no cornering grip, especially on loose corners eg turning off a fire road onto a trail. They are actually better when the ground is a bit damp.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    No experience with FF but 29-0 seals very well with sealant. Really decent sidewalls.

Very square profile on Crest rims though, I like square, but this is SQUARE. Also VERY narrow tread, probably only really about 1.75 max. Not even close to a 1.9

I works well on the back, anything but really wet or really muddy.

I like minimal / fast / light tires, but I would only run this on the back.

Edit: this is on a 29er, never tried the 26 version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am liking the info on this thread!!!

I just got a pair of xr1's, they are about 540g each, put them on ztr 355 rims - 60tpi and seem tuff. Also bought the 29-0, 420g each, put them on havens (21mm wide), they seem like they would pop at great then 65psi....very thin.

They are both setup tubeless and sealed well - just over one scoop of Stan's.
    I have not riden them yet so this weekend coming will be the test.

What about tire pressure??? I will start at my usually 28ft and 33rr....and go from there.
    These are my race tires/wheels for my Camber29er and hopefully a carbon HT 29er (if it ever comes).

LC

mtbr member
    I run my xr1 rear at 28psi with no problems. I just love how fast they roll, tried a rocket ron for the rear but it's just not as fast. Treadwear has been great and no issues.... I just wanna be lighter at 400g for 29-0 is sweet considering the fred pacestar version is 360g with what seems to be a weaker sidewall.

Thanks for all the info glad to hear the 29-0 works great with sealant, I will also run them on Crest. I still would like a fred just to match the ron's up front, but they are so expensive and out of stock eveerywhere.
    Last edited by 5power; 04-29-2011 at 10:33 PM.