Goathead Gladiator

FSA Platinum Pro ISIS Mega Quad BB strong enuf?

Is this strong enough for hardcore XC ( hammering, no jumps ) ?

Goathead Gladiator
    anybody?

Crunchatize me Capn'

well

I'm currently using that BB. However keep in mind that I do mostly road riding (for fitness),. I haven't had any problems when going off trail though. Ft. Custer here in MI has some decent trails. I haven't had any problems yet despite a bad install (curtesy of myself - forget to change ft-lb to in-lb and stripped out the right cup. FSA sent me a new part right away and reinstalled). BB is still running very smooth and has lasted longer than TruVativ Giga something or another. I don't race though. Oh yeah, I don't have quite a year yet. Hope this helps some.

Crunchatize me Capn'

also

FSA makes one of their MegaExo outboard bearing BBs that will fit standard ISIS cranks. I was going to get that over the MegaQuad originally but they weren't available and I needed a BB asap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If weight (250g I believe) and money aren't an issue, this is probably the strongest and longest lasting ISIS BB you can buy on this planet:
    http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...=25&brand=1090

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...191010&lang=en

It's the only ISIS BB Bracket that is equipped with Needle Bearings.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

In my experience, yes.

I use the steel and even the Ti on all kinds of bikes including my Kona Cowan (light freeride and DH, jumping, etc) They are plenty strong and perhaps just a little better than other ISIS bb units in terms of bearing durability. For added bearing durability you can use the Platinum. Way cheaper and not as sexy but the bearings are much larger and sealed inside the unit like the Shimano Ultegra units. Should last longer, especially if you live in soggy climates.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans

Goathead Gladiator

so what's a strong light ( around 200g ) isis bb

thanks for all the replies --- 250g is way too heavy, that's wha tI have now with shimano

mtbr member
    I have the Mega Quad on my single speed and I use huge gears and pound on it pretty hard. I've had one for 7 months now, still going strong. It's the perfect balance, quite strong and quite light. There are lighter ones and there are stronger ones, but not both...

On your left.
    Jan 2004

I use it

I bought an AmClassic BB and returned it before installation for a full refund. The axle was bent. I replaced it with an FSA Platinum Pro Ti MegaQuad (ISIS). Cost $80. It has been running smooth for about 14 months of training and racing. There is zero play, yet it spins freely - I like that. Down to business: Weight of BB is 202g, aluminum bolts and steel washers add 20g (it also comes with a steel bolt for torquing). I think it is a better BB than what comes in the XT m760. Of course I'd like to shave 50g off my BB with a Token unit, but just haven't justified that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans
    M

On your left.
    Jan 2004

update - not good!

Why did I ever reply to the original post? The same week I wrote a glowing review of the megaquad mine began to fail midway through a race. I do like the BB and called a discount shop to order another, but they are now $100! That is crazy. I think I'll tempt fate with the am classic - at least the bearings are replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    I bought an AmClassic BB and returned it before installation for a full refund. The axle was bent. I replaced it with an FSA Platinum Pro Ti MegaQuad (ISIS). Cost $80. It has been running smooth for about 14 months of training and racing. There is zero play, yet it spins freely - I like that. Down to business: Weight of BB is 202g, aluminum bolts and steel washers add 20g (it also comes with a steel bolt for torquing). I think it is a better BB than what comes in the XT m760. Of course I'd like to shave 50g off my BB with a Token unit, but just haven't justified that yet.
    M