Faller - Expert Class

FSA carbon crankset differences...

Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone could offer some insight into my question about two FSA carbon cranksets I've been looking at.

I've been looking at the FSA Carbon Pro (carbon with gray logo) cransket which is stated to weigh @ 555 grams with crank arms, four-arm spider, and rings. I've seen these going for @ $300. The FSA Carbon Pro TEAM (carbon with red and white logo) is stated to weigh the same, but is going for @ $179.

I like the look of the Carbon Pro with the Salsa frameset I'm building up, but if they're basically the same exact setup, I'd rather just pay the $179 and be done with it.

As always, thanks a ton for your help!!

2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You might have the prices mixed up here... The Carbon Pro TEAM's are their more expensive non-integrated MTB cranks. I don't think they make the plain Carbon Pro's anymore either. I'm not saying you can't get them just saying they are no longer in production. The difference between the two is that the Carbon Pro's don't have a carbon spider and the TEAM's do. Just look at the pics closely and you'll see. I agree with you in that the decal on the Carbon Pro's look better.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

BTW: There is a New TEAM Issue Carbon Pro MegaExo...

intergrated Crank/BB for 2006. Samme as the K-Force, but with the regular rings.

http://fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?l...xid=52&pid=717
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

FSA carbon ATB cranks

Carbon Pro (CK900/906)- Discontinued, Square taper, Octalink or ISIS, Alloy Spider
    Team Issue (CK-905) - Discontinued, Octalink or ISIS, all carbon
    Team Issue Mega Exo (CK-9050)- Integrated BB, current model
    K-Force Mega Exo (CK-9000) - Integrated BB, current model

Of the two older cranks, the Team Issue is the nicer crank IMO, but the weights are pretty much the same for both within a few grams. The Carbon Pro was available in a wider variety of options, different BB, BCD and 4 or 5 bolt spider. The Team Issue is basically just ISIS or Octalink and either 170 or 175mm.

JMH

Faller - Expert Class

Thanks!!!

Thanks for your time and input, everyone!!!! I greatly appreciate it!!

Jakeplazma, now that you pointed that out about the spider, I see what you're talking about!

Looks like I might just have to go with the team crankset and just deal with the logo. At least it matches the Bandito, I guess!

Thanks again!!

2006 Kona Leroi

well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Actually

It's actually a fact that the Team Issue graphic look 35% better than the Carbon Pro graphics... but the new K-Force graphics look 20% worse.

The 2007 graphics will be the best yet. Hold off until then.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by psinsyd
    Thanks for your time and input, everyone!!!! I greatly appreciate it!!

Jakeplazma, now that you pointed that out about the spider, I see what you're talking about!

Looks like I might just have to go with the team crankset and just deal with the logo. At least it matches the Bandito, I guess!

Thanks again!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeplazma
    You might have the prices mixed up here... The Carbon Pro TEAM's are their more expensive non-integrated MTB crankslook .

On ebay you can find both the carbon pro's and the carbon pro team issues for about 179$. Bunch of power sellers have been liquidating them for a while. I'm buying a carbon pro team issue soon for my new mtb.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Carbon Pro 110mm ISIS....

still available and the TEAM ISSUE ATB ISIS from FSA.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Correct, the Carbon Pro Team is still in production and you can find great deals on them through eBay.

psinsyd - Go ahead and get the Team's with assuredness as they are a solid crankset. The decals really don't look that bad in person either. I love mine and have been riding them for a good year-n-a-half and have absolutely no complaints. Actually, within that time i've had a few other cranksets including the Storck PowerArm Pro's yet I can't seem to find a reason to switch. Yes, the Storck's were lighter but are super flexy... I'm not sure if that really means anything other than it didn't instill any confidence in them. There were other issues with the Storck's that I didn't like such as a 'pushed out' chainline but that's neither here nor there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    intergrated Crank/BB for 2006. Samme as the K-Force, but with the regular rings.
    What do you mean by "regular rings"? I have K-Force and it uses "regular" compact rings, it's just different desing than the rest of the line - in fact I don't like the shiny look of the 44T ring.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

I mean they are not shaped like the K-Force...

more of a traditional look.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

Faller - Expert Class

Input...

Thanks again everyone for the input on this. I think I'm going to have to go with the Team crankset. Jakeplazma, thanks for the quick review on the Storck Power Arms too! I know that they're super-light, but I wouldn't want anything that's going to make me think of their flex every time I hit a tough climb, that's for sure!!

2006 Kona Leroi

mtbr member

FSA Team

Well,that make me want to puke.I paid $279 a year ago.

Faller - Expert Class

Doh!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevirey
    Well,that make me want to puke.I paid $279 a year ago.
    I HATE when that happens!!!!

2006 Kona Leroi

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY

http://fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?l...xid=52&pid=717
    Actually, I don't think the arms are the same, they look significantly different in the pictures. I have only had the K-Force in though, so I haven't compared them side by side.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Members who have read this thread: 0