Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203

    FRM ISIS BB 148g, Yea or Nea?

    Same weight as the AC ISIS. I wonder if it has a better bearing life? I'm not so keen on an Al spindle, though. Anyone running this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

  2. #2
    locked - time out
    Reputation: Pay Here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,411

    Idea! The weight sounds Great, but.........

    An aluminum spindle? Sounds best suited for a Road bike..But what do I know..

    Jake Pay,Here..

  3. #3
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,407
    I've been running one since mid 03. Currently in my FS race bike(Spider), being its 3rd frame to date. For an ISIS bb, I like it, mostly since it has replacable bearings and its light as hell. If its mid season, and have a mud race or two, count on swapping bearings every 6 months or so. Aside from that, the early models with the shorter alum crankarm bolts(took 2yrs of heavy use for mine to break. the spindle would fatigue(sooner?)and snap just past where the bolt stopped making this location its weakest point since the splines extend further then the bolt did creating a thin spot). See below pic for a perfect illustration of that problem. The new ones fixed that, from what I hear.. Stans did warrenty the bb for me, altho it came from somewhere else.

    I don't use the silly spacer that helps center the bearing load(it has an adjustable chainline as well having to be real careful preloading the cups when tightening them) in an attempt to make the install fopaw proof.

    <img src="http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/standard?pictid={7A9A1778-EB3F-49B7-8FDE-FB81E313CAE7}&exp=f&moddt=38600.9240614236&ssdyn=1 ">
    Last edited by Duckman; 07-31-2006 at 07:13 PM.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    161g!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    Same weight as the AC ISIS. I wonder if it has a better bearing life? I'm not so keen on an Al spindle, though. Anyone running this?
    the actual versions don't weigh 148g. they weigh 161g without bolts which add another 21g.
    the bearings got much wider but the cups are still the same width which makes the bearings overlap to the inside which can be seen on your pic as well. strange.

    durability is soso. i once had a FRM and it lasted only 200m. without inner spacertube you need to adjust the tiny bearings ultra careful. when i finally installed a new set of bearings i would have a nasty knacking noise with each pedal stroke...the spindle had under-tolerance so the bearings were loose fit.

    after that i was done with FRM ISIS. i now use scandium BBs on my roadbike and winterbike and right now even on my Scale.the lightest ones safe to use on a MTB weigh 139g. the MTB versions with 3 bearings are 160g.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    the actual versions don't weigh 148g. they weigh 161g without bolts which add another 21g.
    the bearings got much wider but the cups are still the same width which makes the bearings overlap to the inside which can be seen on your pic as well. strange.

    durability is soso. i once had a FRM and it lasted only 200m. without inner spacertube you need to adjust the tiny bearings ultra careful. when i finally installed a new set of bearings i would have a nasty knacking noise with each pedal stroke...the spindle had under-tolerance so the bearings were loose fit.

    after that i was done with FRM ISIS. i now use scandium BBs on my roadbike and winterbike and right now even on my Scale.the lightest ones safe to use on a MTB weigh 139g. the MTB versions with 3 bearings are 160g.
    I really like the weight but the thought of a Sc spindle sends shivers down my spine. Does that BB have a weight limit? BTW, can you remove the inner dust sleeve on that?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

  6. #6
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    I've been running one since mid 03. Currently in my FS race bike(Spider), being its 3rd frame to date. For an ISIS bb, I like it, mostly since it has replacable bearings and its light as hell. If its mid season, and have a mud race or two, count on swapping bearings every 6 months or so. Aside from that, the early models with the shorter alum crankarm bolts(took 2yrs of heavy use for mine to break. the spindle would fatigue(sooner?)and snap just past where the bolt stopped making this location its weakest point since the splines extend further then the bolt did creating a thin spot). See below pic for a perfect illustration of that problem. The new ones fixed that, from what I hear.. Stans did warrenty the bb for me, altho it came from somewhere else.

    I don't use the silly spacer that helps center the bearing load(it has an adjustable chainline as well having to be real careful preloading the cups when tightening them) in an attempt to make the install fopaw proof.

    <img src="http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/standard?pictid={7A9A1778-EB3F-49B7-8FDE-FB81E313CAE7}&exp=f&moddt=38600.9240614236&ssdyn=1 ">
    That picture speaks volumes. How was your health after that failure? I think the only thing worse then a BB spindle failure is a stem failure. Both could really ruin your day.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

  7. #7
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Pay Here
    An aluminum spindle? Sounds best suited for a Road bike..But what do I know..

    Jake Pay,Here..
    I like your new avatar theme! Kinda a WW pin-up of the day thing.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

  8. #8
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,407
    Wow. The bearings for mine are indeed much narrower then those above.

    On another note..your Q..

    When mine failed, I was doing a preride to a race, and just had done a gravity dip(15' deep, straight down-straight up again kinda deal) and surely that was the 'straw' that broke it, so to speak. Upon coming out and away from the dip, I hammered out of the saddle to get back up to speed and "SNAP" it goes.. No ill effects tho, luckily. Had to ride back about 3 miles with 1 crankarm, the other being in a jersey rear pocket(amazing what those suckers will hold).

  9. #9
    Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Reputation: DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,007
    Those are now ONLY for Road bikes. The older FRM ones for MTB were great and easy to replace and get bearings.

    Best bet is the Token SC or Ti ones now. I am running a Token on the MTB and is fine after some really muddy rides and on the Roadie it's really taking some serious mile as well! The Token are basically the same Nino sells and they go under several names.

    if you want THE BEST ISIS BB and will give a little weight up, get a SKS ISIS BB and be done with it or for a 200g BB the FSA MegaQuad Ti BB is the way to go ISIS if you don't wnat to get another BB for a while. I am using a FSA on a modified "Spinning Bike" and it's get a pounding with 5+ hrs a day of riding and soomth as butter!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

  10. #10
    locked - time out
    Reputation: Pay Here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    I like your new avatar theme! Kinda a WW pin-up of the day thing.
    Nothing wrong with alittle EyE-CaNdY.....

  11. #11
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,213
    There's a photo of a KCNC Scandium BB failure on plusonelap, Al/Scadium seems to be a poor application for a BB spindle, small fries might be able to pull it off though..

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    There's a photo of a KCNC Scandium BB failure on plusonelap, Al/Scadium seems to be a poor application for a BB spindle, small fries might be able to pull it off though..
    i repeat once again:
    if guys go for the lightweight ROAD scandium BB but replace the special long bolts that come with it with regular, short ones you are pushing the limits. with the long bolts in place they are safe.

    there's 2 scandium axle thicknesses. one is the ultralight road axle with a 14mm bore, the other is for MTB use with a 12mm bore thus more material on the axle.

  13. #13
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,643
    BB's are not something you want to sacrafice strength for weight on. Check out roadbikereview.com and you'll see that even the roadies hate the AC bottom bracket. It isnt even tough enough for the road! I dont know about you guys but i dont want to rebuild my BB every few months.

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC
    BB's are not something you want to sacrafice strength for weight on. Check out roadbikereview.com and you'll see that even the roadies hate the AC bottom bracket. It isnt even tough enough for the road! I dont know about you guys but i dont want to rebuild my BB every few months.
    ISIS is a flawed design...

    there is no ISIS BB i know of that lasts! the bearings are too tiny. old school square taper BBs are still the way to go if you are looking for a lightweight BB.

    the new fashioned integrated cranksets may be stiffer but who really cares? Campa still has square taper BBs and no professional rider ever complained about lack of stiffness. also sprinters use square BBs....the newer integrated cranks are heavier and have a bigger Q-factor. no good.

  15. #15
    locked - time out
    Reputation: Pay Here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,411

    New question here. Anybody try the KCNC

    I've been eye-balling the KCNC's for a few months now, but at $100 a unit I thought I'd ask for some feed back..
    So, anyone have any time in on this BB?
    [Titanium Spindle, with carbon Sleeve. Weight: 140grams.(68x108mm)for BSA Shells Inlcudes alloy crank bolts]..

    Thanks,

    Jake Pay, CLICK My AVATAR Here..
    Last edited by Pay Here; 12-26-2006 at 07:41 PM.

  16. #16
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Pay Here
    I've been eye-balling the KCNC's for a few months now, but at $100 a unit I thought I'd ask for some feed back..
    So, anyone have any time in on this BB?
    [Titanium Spindle, with carbon Sleeve. Weight: 140grams.(68x108mm)for BSA Shells Inlcudes alloy crank bolts]..

    Thanks,

    Jake Pay, CLICK My AVATAR Here..
    What about a 113mm spindle? And, do you know if that's a 2 bearing drive side or 1 like the American Classic?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

  17. #17
    locked - time out
    Reputation: Pay Here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    What about a 113mm spindle? And, do you know if that's a 2 bearing drive side or 1 like the American Classic?
    My RF Evolve XC's call for the 108mm spindle..
    Heres all I've got so far: http://fairwheelbikes.com/shop/index...e0a78b42e6bfe2

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •