mtbr member
    Jun 2004

frm or american classic isis bb

it will be for fsa carbon team issue cranks at 68x113. looking mostly for durability if its possible for isis.
    "Work hard, Ride harder"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Not Am Classic

I strongly advise against the Am Classic IsIs.

Others on this forum have heard my rant before, so my apologies in advance.

I've had three experienced mechanics at two different shops try to install the am classic isis. No matter what they tried, there was always this gritty feel for about 30% of the rotation.

They sent it back and, after three weeks, finally received a replacement. Again, the same gritty feel was there.

They sent that one back and got another replacement. Rather than installing this one, however, I called Am Classic and asked if I can receive a refund. The gentleman on the phone said that would not be a problem.

I haven't had a response yet, so we'll see if they are true to their word.

If you or anyone out there have a good experience with the am classic isis, I would be curious to hear about it.

Peace.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by xsport652
    it will be for fsa carbon team issue cranks at 68x113. looking mostly for durability if its possible for isis.
    I haven't tried either the FRM or AC. But, I've been using FSA Platinum Pro Ti BBs for a couple of years, with varied (1 month to over 1 yr) results. I'm looking into alternatives (like you), among those, the FRM and AC, but I'm also considering the Spada.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Not a Barry supporter.

I must have gotten the only great Isis BB bracket ever made. I've been riding my FSA Platinum for close to 1.5 years and it's still smooth as butter. I took it out and checked it out just last week. I was thinking 'There's no way it's still smooth. Something's gotta give.' Well, it's still smooth and great. I highly recommend the FSA.

Oh, and I live in Seattle where more than half the year is really wet and muddy.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    the spada was the other one i was looking at too. my other choice was an fsa platinum pro. i think im gonna try the fsa platinum pro for only $40.00 and if that fails im gonna try the frm.
    thanks guys
    "Work hard, Ride harder"

MaL*size=
    fsa platinum pro ti bb at only 40$?¿?¿?¿?¿

where?¡?¿?¿?¿

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLL
    fsa platinum pro ti bb at only 40$?¿?¿?¿?¿

where?¡?¿?¿?¿

thanks
    sorry i meant just the platinum pro it goes in order from 1.platinum pro ti
    2.platinum pro
    3.platinum
    and the platinum pro that i was talking about is 49.99 at cambria bike.

"Work hard, Ride harder"

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I must have gotten the only great Isis BB bracket ever made. I've been riding my FSA Platinum for close to 1.5 years and it's still smooth as butter. I took it out and checked it out just last week. I was thinking 'There's no way it's still smooth. Something's gotta give.' Well, it's still smooth and great. I highly recommend the FSA.

Oh, and I live in Seattle where more than half the year is really wet and muddy.
    My first FSA Platinum Pro Ti ISIS lasted over 1-yr before finally developing play...and, that included a 24 hr solo, lots of training, lots of racing, and lots of JRA'ing. Plus 12 months of the year riding in Ottawa, which includes lots of water, mud, snow, etc. So, pretty harsh conditions for a BB. I was happy with that durability and longevity.

But since then, every other FSA Platinum Pro Ti ISIS BB (3) I've had has died prematurely (in as little as 1 month, but generally 5-6 months) -- I'm looking into alternatives (FRM, AC, Spada, etc.)
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

(aka SS_MB-7)

Some Spada info....

the spada was the other one i was looking at too. my other choice was an fsa platinum pro. i think im gonna try the fsa platinum pro for only $40.00 and if that fails im gonna try the frm.
    thanks guys
    I'm very curious about the Spada. But, I'm concerned about the durability of such a little known and new BB. I emailed Spada and received a very quick reply....good sign. Can't say the same for AC.

Here's the email from Mark at Spada (Spada-USA@earthlink.net):

"Hi Mike,

Yours is a common story to us, we hear it several times a week.

We actually have two ISIS BB's. Both use the same bearings, cups and spacer, the axle is either Aluminum/Scandium alloy or 6/4 Titanium alloy. On the Al/Sc axle, there are 14mm bolts used (supplied) which are longer than normal to provide extra axle/bearing support (they screw in far enough that the bolt ends extend past the bearings), the Ti axle, the more common 15mm bolt diameter is used, we have options of Al or Ti bolts for the Ti BB. All bearings are replaceable, spares are available. It doesn't take special tools to do this.

We had one problem with a batch of the Al/Sc BB's due to a mismatch in machining settings, the shoulders were .0005" narrower than the outer spacer (between the cups) so the bearings were able to bind when the BB was installed. We replaced all of those, there have been no other problems though other than one BB that had a bearing issue which we replaced. So nothing really significant as far as issues go. Statistically the above issues were with less then 1% of the BB's sold.

I've attached a listing of all Spada products as a PDF file."

From the PDF file, the BB specs are:

"ISIS Bottom Bracket: 108 or 113mm; 110 or 165g; Scandium or Titanium; $149.95US"

...and here's another email reply from Mark:

"The 113mm BB can be used in 68 or 73mm shells, you just have a spacer with the 68mm shell. The bearings on the LH side are available at a good bearing store, the RH bearing though is a special unit, the only way I have found of replicating it outside of a proper replacement from us is to use two standard bearing units side by side. From us though, the bearings are always available, so it's not really an issue to obtain spares."
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    thanks that was some pretty good info 1 speed mike.pretty interesting to hear that only one or two spadas have failed so far.and with your fsa bottom brackets i guess its just a miss or hit everytime. Do you know where you can purchase a spada?
    thanks.
    "Work hard, Ride harder"

banned

Spada = New Ultimate...

thanks that was some pretty good info 1 speed mike.pretty interesting to hear that only one or two spadas have failed so far.and with your fsa bottom brackets i guess its just a miss or hit everytime. Do you know where you can purchase a spada?
    thanks.
    they are all the same BBs:
    New Ultimate,Spada,Token....get whatever you can get cheapest.there are versions with just 2 bearings and a really hollowed out axle with ultralong M14 crankbolts (see picture below). those are for roadbikes and have a weight limit. the MTB versions come with triple bearings. double bearings on the drive side and the axle is a bit fatter with M12 crankbolts.

try Jesper from JT-Import for New Ultimate BBs.he's a real good guy to deal with.
    www.jt-import.dk

you can get the MTB version in 4 different sizes:
    68x113 (i weighed one with bolts and it was 160g)
    68x118
    70x113
    70x118

so make sure you get the correct one.
    New Ultimate 68x108 ROAD:

you HAVE TO use these provided loooong scandium bolts too:

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Do you know where you can purchase a spada?
    thanks.
    Looks like you can buy-direct from Mark at Spada (Spada-USA@earthlink.net).
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    they are all the same BBs:
    New Ultimate,Spada,Token....get whatever you can get cheapest.there are versions with just 2 bearings and a really hollowed out axle with ultralong M14 crankbolts (see picture below). those are for roadbikes and have a weight limit. the MTB versions come with triple bearings. double bearings on the drive side and the axle is a bit fatter with M12 crankbolts.
    The Spada 108mm BB has Ceramic/Hybrid bearings and three rows of bearings, NOT the same as Token or New Ultimate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    Looks like you can buy-direct from Mark at Spada (Spada-USA@earthlink.net).
    That is where I got mine.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ye Olde Balde One
    That is where I got mine.
    Thanks...and, you've been pleased with yours? How much riding time on it? Riding conditions?

I'm tempted by the Spada, but it's pricey relative to the other ISIS BBs. Is it worth it? I'm not holding my breath on any ISIS BBs after my less-than-stellar ISIS BB experiences thus far. But, I do like that the Spada has user-replaceable bearings.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    Thanks...and, you've been pleased with yours? How much riding time on it? Riding conditions?

I'm tempted by the Spada, but it's pricey relative to the other ISIS BBs. Is it worth it? I'm not holding my breath on any ISIS BBs after my less-than-stellar ISIS BB experiences thus far. But, I do like that the Spada has user-replaceable bearings.
    I've had one since March, SoCal riding; rain and misty conditions sometimes (especially early this year in the Santa Monica MTNs), mainly sunny. One thing we put up with here is a lot of salt in the air, on the beach path there is always water mixed with salt and sand, it's bad enough that Nokon beads are peeling their plating in a week. I took it out once for cleaning and didn't have any contamination past the outer seals. About 800-1,000m per month mainly in the hills and mountains.

At 129.95 it's worth the price to me.