TR
    Angry bunny

Forking question

Hi again guys.
    Well I have agreed to buy a Superlight frame (deal not finalised yet but I have told the guy I will buy it) and now am looking at fork options for it.
    I am wanting to do this frame justice (unlike my 28lb all mountain NRS) without going waaaaaaay over budget.
    At the moment I am looking at Marzocchi Marathon, RS Reba and Fox Vanilla RLC. Out of these which would you pick and what other forks would you throw into the mix?? The rear suspension is a Fox AVA if that helps. I also have th option to buy a TALAS for $450. Is it really worth the extra $150 over the Vanilla??
    I know that the bike is built for a 100mm fork but I have read that a little extra travel will not adversely affect the ride and seeing as though the frame is 2nd hand I am obviously not concerned about warranty.
    Last edited by TR; 01-30-2005 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Reba, not Pike Dummy!!

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Noleen

Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Hi again guys.
    Well I have agreed to buy a Superlight frame (deal not finalised yet but I have told the guy I will buy it) and now am looking at fork options for it.
    I am wanting to do this frame justice (unlike my 28lb all mountain NRS) without going waaaaaaay over budget.
    At the moment I am looking at Marzocchi Marathon, RS Reba and Fox Vanilla RLC. Out of these which would you pick and what other forks would you throw into the mix?? The rear suspension is a Fox AVA if that helps. I also have th option to buy a TALAS for $450. Is it really worth the extra $150 over the Vanilla??
    I know that the bike is built for a 100mm fork but I have read that a little extra travel will not adversely affect the ride and seeing as though the frame is 2nd hand I am obviously not concerned about warranty.
    I have a Noleen MegaAir and a Marzocchi Atom Race (spring/oil). The Noleen is better in every way. It is stiffer steering, more adjustable, handles large hits better, damping is more consistent and it only weighs 3.05lb. There is no doubt I am faster climbing, blasting down through rocky sections and carving up singletrack on the Noleen. Plus they are about $100!. Get one that doesn't leak, has a long enough steerer tube and you are set. The Noleen is a great match to the AVA on my Blur. Call SantaCruz about using more than 100mm up front - I personally think it would be a bad idea.

I hope you fit that Superlight. They are very short in the TT and you mentioned before that you are 6'3". It will handle very nice but you may end up with the seat way back and a long stem.
    M

TR
    Angry bunny
    I actually already have a Noleen but finding one with a long enough steerer will be unlikely. From memory it came with 8.25" of steerer and on a XL Superlight I think I will need longer. I know what you mean about the TT length too. For some reason SC has short TT's and long HT's. Weird.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

you can make a plug

I actually already have a Noleen but finding one with a long enough steerer will be unlikely. From memory it came with 8.25" of steerer and on a XL Superlight I think I will need longer. I know what you mean about the TT length too. For some reason SC has short TT's and long HT's. Weird.
    If the steerer comes to the middle or so of the stem you can accomodate the rest with a plug machined to fit into the ID of the steerer and have the same OD as the steerer. You can use 2 star fangled nuts or 1. For 2: there is a SFN in the steerer to hold the plug and there is a SFN in the top of the plug to hold the stem and preload the headset. For 1: the SFN goes in the steerer and the screw passes through the plug into it to preload the headset - this likely requires a long screw.
    M

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    If the steerer comes to the middle or so of the stem you can accomodate the rest with a plug machined to fit into the ID of the steerer and have the same OD as the steerer. You can use 2 star fangled nuts or 1. For 2: there is a SFN in the steerer to hold the plug and there is a SFN in the top of the plug to hold the stem and preload the headset. For 1: the SFN goes in the steerer and the screw passes through the plug into it to preload the headset - this likely requires a long screw.
    Whoa!!!
    There is an idea!!
    Especially seeing as though I would only be looking at about an inch.
    hmmmmmmmmm

On your left.
    Jan 2004

I might be making one soon

Whoa!!!
    There is an idea!!
    Especially seeing as though I would only be looking at about an inch.
    hmmmmmmmmm
    I'm putting a Noleen on a new frame and may need to have one of these plug/extenders machined by a roadie/machinist coworker of mine. I'll be making this decision within a week or so. If I do need to make one I'll post here to see if anybody else is interested.
    M

hooked on quack
    Noleen update.

Rode the race bike tonight, after an hour training on the "other" NRS with the 05 100RLT. As of tonight, I have yet to need to add air to the Noleen since Sept. Thats over 4 XC races and 1 24hour(it was the backup bike tho). Its as stiff, well steering, and plush on the med to big stuff(prob better since it ramps less), as the Fox(I paid $554 for it)...easily. Just isn't "quit" as plush on the little stiff(prob a product of more stiction). Not even noticeable tho, as thats if I'm pressed to call a diff at all.

100mm x32mm, and at 3lbs even(cut steerer, no vbrake studs). All for $99. IMHO, its still THE best WW fork out there..at any price.

TR
    Angry bunny
    You guys are seriously talking me into keeping my Noleen.
    I will agree that it has been trouble free for me until I blew the O Ring between the 2 air chambers which led to some serious awful topping out.
    All good now as I have found the correct replacements.

A good service and she will be sweet and light and ready to roll on the next bike.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Noleen update.

Rode the race bike tonight, after an hour training on the "other" NRS with the 05 100RLT. As of tonight, I have yet to need to add air to the Noleen since Sept. Thats over 4 XC races and 1 24hour(it was the backup bike tho). Its as stiff, well steering, and plush on the med to big stuff(prob better since it ramps less), as the Fox(I paid $554 for it)...easily. Just isn't "quit" as plush on the little stiff(prob a product of more stiction). Not even noticeable tho, as thats if I'm pressed to call a diff at all.

100mm x32mm, and at 3lbs even(cut steerer, no vbrake studs). All for $99. IMHO, its still THE best WW fork out there..at any price.
    I should get another one to replace my Marzocchi.

Well, I agree except for response on the small bumps. I find it does not take away the little bumps and I like it that way. I want to feel the little things that I don't pick up by eye. And it is frickin' light - I'd like a third one just to pick up on occassion. Seeing the ubiquitous Fox 100x on all the race bikes gives me a chuckle.
    M

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Oh, you were considering selling it?

You guys are seriously talking me into keeping my Noleen.
    I will agree that it has been trouble free for me until I blew the O Ring between the 2 air chambers which led to some serious awful topping out.
    All good now as I have found the correct replacements.

A good service and she will be sweet and light and ready to roll on the next bike.
    In that case everything I said was bogus. I'll do you a big favor and take it off your hands for $90.
    M

TR
    Angry bunny
    It just about pulled my arm out its socket when I picked my Noleen and MX Comp ETA side by side.
    The MX Comp ETA is a brick which is why I am loath to put it on the new bike.

MTBR Tool
    It just about pulled my arm out its socket when I picked my Noleen and MX Comp ETA side by side.
    The MX Comp ETA is a brick which is why I am loath to put it on the new bike.
    I've had a few problems w/my Noleen. Despite regular services and replacement of the large O-rings I still keep losing air in the main spring. It only seems to happen in wet/muddy conditions which confuses the hell out of me and is hard to reproduce as it doesn't get that way too often in AZ anyway. Last weekend I was left w/0mm of travel 1hr into a 2 1/2 hr race - I was able to enjoy razor-sharp handling in the ST but every baby head felt like torture at race pace and in fact shook the stem-clamp bolts loose. It all culminated in a podium robbing crash 1/4 mile from the finish and a very bruised knee/ego as a result. I've just pulled the trigger on a Reba Team to see if it is more reliable/plush but will give the Noleen one last chance after I've torn it down and replaced every possible O-ring on the damn thing...

I did a water check on it the other day and the only sign I could find of leaks were coming from the dirt wipers which didn't really give me any clue as to where the leaks are.

(was) Big in Japan

Fox comments

TR,

Hope the SL sale goes through without a hitch. Wenji is really excited about having another SL rider around!

I've got a Blur with the RLC, and as you can find in so many threads on MTBR it never gets 100mm of travel. Best yet is 90mm, and that was when it was really too soft for me. I would happily get the Talas just to get a REAL 100mm, even if I never used more, but it sure would be nice to have the option!

In every other way I love my Fox. You can set it up to have an SPV-like feel (RL or RLC), and is light enough for me. Given you are such a big-un I wouldnt get too carried away with the weight-weenie philosophy.

Good luck!

Chris
    Ride.

hooked on quack
    Darn man. Sorry to hear. I hate to say it, but I've yet to replace one o-ring on either of my Noleens to date(got both Jan 04). My other Noleen started leaking out the air valves themselves.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    TR,
    Given you are such a big-un I wouldnt get too carried away with the weight-weenie philosophy.

Good luck!

Chris
    Hey Chris

Thanks for the feedback.
    I agree that I will not be getting looking for anything too light to carry me around. On the other hand I would definitely like it to be a little lighter than my 28lb all mountain NRS trail bike.

The decision on the fork has now been made as I have agreed to terms on a 2002 Superlight which comes with a Marzocchi Marathon S.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Woohoo!!! The Noleen is back in action.
    Managed to trace an airleak to a cracked O-ring (the tiny one that goes on the needle).
    Replaced it (after a 2 week wait for the store to get one in), greased it all up, slapped it back together and away she went.

Now I can pull that heavy MX Comp back off and lighten the NRS back up.
    Well for a few weeks until the Superlight shows up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I heard you had to modify the noleen to get it to work or something...Is this a myth?

How hard are they to get; they seem in high demand.

TR
    Angry bunny
    No mod's required. Do a search on Noleen and you will find the story as to the background of the Mega Air forks. As far as I know there are no new ones left on the market but you may find some on ebay 2nd hand.

MTBR Tool
    Woohoo!!! The Noleen is back in action.
    Managed to trace an airleak to a cracked O-ring (the tiny one that goes on the needle).
    Replaced it (after a 2 week wait for the store to get one in), greased it all up, slapped it back together and away she went.

Now I can pull that heavy MX Comp back off and lighten the NRS back up.
    Well for a few weeks until the Superlight shows up.
    Just replaced all the O-rings on mine too and it seems to be responding to treatment nicely