Thread: Foam Grips

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Foam Grips

Where can I buy a set of foam grips? Is there one brand better than another? I found a Titec website that sells them for 12 bucks each. Is that the best price I'm going to find. Are Titec's foam grips OK. My guess is it doens't matter much with foam grips.

I have an EC 90 bar and am trying to keep the weight down on home project. I'm following previous advice found on this very helpful website. Thanks!

bang
    the titec porkrinds are light and cheap; i bought mine for ten bucks at the LBS. they are small diameter (good for people with small hands), but the foam is kind of dense. if you use gloves its ok, but on ungloved hands it can be a pain after an hour or so.

the ritchey WCS foam grips are supposedly softer (thus more comfortable), but weigh more (weight-weenies lists them at about 50 grams, while the pork rinds are about 20 grams). i asked duckman about them since he used both, and said he liked the WCS foamies a lot better if you don't use gloves.

as an alternative, you can always use roadie bar tape. do a forum search; there have been several threads discussing foam grips / bar tape.

mtbr member

I'm using Pork Rinds...

I switched to Pork Rinds this past season after a long love affair with my ODI lock-ons (Yeti). But, alas, as we here all know, sometimes you have to make sacrifices in the name of wenniedom and the lock-ons had to go. The rinds are much smaller in diameter than my ODI's and, during my first couple of rides, created some minor hand cramping. Since then I hardly notice them. By the way, I have large hands. If you're hands are smaller you may not even notice the difference.

Have u seen these brakes?

Foam Grips...

The best grips I've ever used were Grab-On foam. Ritchey comes in a close second with WCS. I'm using WCS foam true grips now on my ride. I have two sets off of my bike one is 39 grams and one is 43 grams. The Ritchey grips are nice on the hands, especially for long rides. The foam is the same consistency as the foam on Kooka levers. The pork rinds are a bit shorter than the Ritchey and have a sort of triangular shape with a larger arch in the back and tapering to a smaller one in the front. The Ritchey grips have a nice hexagonal shape to them with an ever so slight taper from end to end making the center slightly wider. The pork rinds are a bit shorter in length than the Ritcheys which could explain some of the difference in weight. The foam is also much denser on the pork rinds and can be jarring especially when riding an aluminum frame or going on long distance road or mountain rides. The foam on the pork rinds is the consistency of a cheaply made fishing rod handle, (the kind you get at Wal-Mart for $10.99 with a Zebco reel included.) I've owned both and have a set of each... in my opinion the extra 19-22 grams is 19-22 grams well spent.

For me the Ritchey's win..... HANDS DOWN. hehe
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. There are two LBS where I live and neither carry foam grips except for the Dimension Cork Grips. Any thoughts on these? The grips are going on a 99 homegrown with EC 90 bar. I plan to use the bike for Xterra events and would like ride no longer then 2-3 hours at a time. I normally wear full finger non padded gloves. If no one like te Dimensions, where can I buy a set of Ritchey WCS foam grips?

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    I know this may be a slap in the face to many of you WW's but all foam grips seem to give a cheap vibe to bikes IMO. They just feel cheap, look cheap, and well are cheap. I'm not saying they're not a great place to save a few grams and a few bucks but for the amount of weight saved the poor comfort and durability factor will have me sticking to the rubber.

Cheers.

Dr. Frost

How about Oury Lock-ons?

Ha, this probably isn't the place to say this but I love grabbin' hold of my Oury LockOns. They're big, grippy, and stay put! I feel like I can ride thru anything with these grips! Lightweight? No way, these babies are made for big, meaty hands in the heat of battle. Or something like that. I've got weight weenie urges....but grips are important man!

Sometimes you can find a lot of foamies going on ebay for low prices. But you have to buy a bunch of them. But they're still inexpensive.

That's what I use. Good ol' Oury lock-ons. Tried and True.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANZAK62
    Where can I buy a set of foam grips? Is there one brand better than another? I found a Titec website that sells them for 12 bucks each. Is that the best price I'm going to find. Are Titec's foam grips OK. My guess is it doens't matter much with foam grips.

I have an EC 90 bar and am trying to keep the weight down on home project. I'm following previous advice found on this very helpful website. Thanks!
    JABCO foam grips (www.foamtubing.com). They are not firm though (pretty squishy), but my hands and wrists don't go numb either like with rubber grips.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    That's what I use. Good ol' Oury lock-ons. Tried and True.
    Ye, used to use them too... I thought they couldn't be beat.

Then I tried Rithcey WSC, and sorry to say.. these are much more durable, more comfy or do stay put if you know how to install them(I used hairspray and a dab of superglue). I have been surprised how durable these are!

I am about to put a pair of Titecs on my bike in the next week, and will see which one I like better, I have a feeling I'm going to be going back to the rithceys...

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak

Then I tried Rithcey WSC, and sorry to say.. these are much more durable, more comfy or do stay put if you know how to install them(I used hairspray and a dab of superglue). I have been surprised how durable these are!

I am about to put a pair of Titecs on my bike in the next week, and will see which one I like better, I have a feeling I'm going to be going back to the rithceys...
    Something a certified WW would say, not one concerned about comfort so much as saving a gram

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Buy Extralite Neogrips. Not extremely light like Bontrager's but surely more comfortable and durable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Something a certified WW would say, not one concerned about comfort so much as saving a gram
    For me, foam grips are more comfortable than rubber ones. The fact that they are lighter makes it a win-win situation.

mtbr member

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    JABCO foam grips (www.foamtubing.com). They are not firm though (pretty squishy), but my hands and wrists don't go numb either like with rubber grips.
    Did you get the "cut to length" grips or ... in what diameter?

thank you

bang

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak

Then I tried Rithcey WSC, and sorry to say.. these are much more durable, more comfy...
    *shrug*

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I'm not a real weight weenie... I am riding a 24lbs Hardtail with lightweight tires and flat bars!

Have you tried the foam grips? It's worth a shot, try the Rithceys, you will save 100grams, and you may just like them(it's only 10bucks..).

I have atleast 2 other friends that aren't weight weenies but they both prefer Foam grips now to the Ourys..

Yea I have tried various types of foam grips titec, bonty, etc., just not my cup o' tea. It's a personal opinion and I didn't mean to force it on you but to be honest I've never come to terms with 'foamies'.