Thread: Foam Grips

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Foam Grips

I tried a friend's pork rinds today and I was surprised that they worked pretty well. So I went to order some but didnt' find them listed at any of the usual suspects. Where you guys get your Titec Pork Rinds or similar foam grips?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Re Foam Grips

Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    I tried a friend's pork rinds today and I was surprised that they worked pretty well. So I went to order some but didnt' find them listed at any of the usual suspects. Where you guys get your Titec Pork Rinds or similar foam grips?

try cambria bike

Trail rider and racer
    I got my extralight grips from Light Bikes.

They are fantastic comfortable and durable grips.
    Trev!

That's right....
    are those pork rinds thick in diameter? ive refused to change my boat anchor Oury rubber grips only because theyre the only ones i can find that are thick....i have really big hands so those skinny grips hurt my fingers..

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    They're about the same thickness as the OEM grips on my Fuel. Somewhat of a formed shape though. I was surprised when I tried them briefly today and it was a good enough experience to make me order up a couple sets to try.

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    are those pork rinds thick in diameter? ive refused to change my boat anchor Oury rubber grips only because theyre the only ones i can find that are thick....i have really big hands so those skinny grips hurt my fingers..
    I tried several brands of lightweight foam grips including Titec Porkrinds, Ritchey foamies and even though they are all ok and very light, none of them are as comfortable on my hands as the good old plush ODI Rogue Lock-ons.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

That's right....
    thats what i figured. i ran ODI lock-ons on my freeride for a long time. they were the only thing that could compare to ourys.

Faller - Expert Class

Got my pork rinds at...

blueskycycling.com. Was very happy with them as the shipping was really quick. Here's the link!

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...lack-Grips.htm
    2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

bang
    the 'rinds are kinda small in diameter, and the foam is somewhat dense. if you don't wear gloves, they aren't the most comfortable grips to use. also, they don't absorb sweat very well. after several months of use, they'll eventually stretch enough that they twist easily; just take them off, spray some hairspray inside the grip, and slide back on your bar. let it dry overnight and they'll be fine after that (or just use hairspray the first time you put them on).

you might be able to find some at your LBS (that's where i bought mine).

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I use gloves always (too much work with my hands to mess them up) and i'll hairspray them on. The LBS didn't have any but our new sponser shop will order us stuff so i'm give them the business Thanks!

mtbr member
    anyone know what the giant foamies weigh? my lbs has some for 8 bux, made me do a double take...

Never worng!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    anyone know what the giant foamies weigh? my lbs has some for 8 bux, made me do a double take...
    You might want to check the thread at the top of this forum "Sticky: The Official Weight Weenies F.A.Q" and then click on the link in #1.
    There's a section on grip weights.

1996 Member
    Jun 2004
    Any Trek dealer can get Pork Rinds thru the Trek component catalog. Cheap, light and comfy -- hard to beat. I've gotten so used to them that I'd run 'em even if they were heavier.
    The road to hell is paved......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verewolf
    You might want to check the thread at the top of this forum "Sticky: The Official Weight Weenies F.A.Q" and then click on the link in #1.
    There's a section on grip weights.
    only descriptors for giant grips are oem and not material...

ballbuster

I got Bontrager foamies

Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay

And so far, they're pretty nice. They are the RaceLite XXX grips for $10. I got my LBS Trek dealer to order them for me, but they took like 6 weeks to get.

THey have a large diameter for my big mitts. They didn't stick too well to my carbon bars with no adhesive, then I tried hair spray, and that wasn't much better. I finally tried resin wood glue and that was the ticket.

The feel isn't super, but it works okay. They are not as tacky to the touch as my Sefras grips, but they still need some breaking in.

viva la v-brakes!

Bontrager foam grips suck

I also have the Bontrager Race Lite XXX foam grip. I figured because they had a larger diameter then the Ritchey foam grips I used to ride that they'd be more comfortable. Not so. They are a denser foam so they aren't as squishy and shock absorbing, even after several months of wearing them in. But the worst part is the grip; there is none! They're too firm and smooth to get any decent grip, the result is hand cramps and hand slipping off the bards. Not good.

Avoid these grips. I will soon be going back to Ritchey, or trying out the Titec Pork Rinds, now called Pluto I believe. Has anyone tried both of these and can give me a comparison?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

bang
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    I will soon be going back to Ritchey, or trying out the Titec Pork Rinds, now called Pluto I believe. Has anyone tried both of these and can give me a comparison?
    the pork rinds are more dense than the ritchey's from what i understand (unless there was more than just a name change). if i had to choose, i'd go with the wcs true grips for sure.

Lightweight Ghost Rider
    If you like foam grips you may like bar tape just as much. It's cheap, and the thickness is fully costumiseable - oh, and it's light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I tried bar tape and liked it a lot. But after a couple of rides it kept coming loose. Never have this problem on my road bike. Not winding it tight enough? Do you wrap two layers, one layer is kind of thin?

mtbr member

I use bar tape as well

It's cheap and you can custom taylor it to the thickness and shape you want. I put a piece horizontally along bar on the top and then wrap it over with good quality electircal tape and then wind on the bar tape, I trim both end edges to a taper so it fits nices against the shifters and the barends and finally I glue the end with contact adhesive.

Have a look, I've used Deda carbon effect tape.Overall weight, about 18g for both grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

viva la v-brakes!

bar tape sucks

I must be sounding like a Mr. Meanie, but I think bar tape also sucks. Tried it once, really wanted to like it, but it completely lacked grip, and despite years of experience wrapping bar tape on road bikes, it fell off before the ride was over. Never again.

I mean give it a try for yourself if you want, just don't get your hopes up.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Maromero
    I got some generic foam grips from a LBS, they have to be cut to the desired lenght and they seem too thin, but their weight !!!!! 12.2 gr .

I also got a thicker and denser foam grips, the dealer doesn't know the brand, but they are also lite and could still be trimmed (at least for my handlebar).
    Any clue about the brand?
    I still don't know if I'm going to change my Extralite's, they are really confortable even if they are "heavy" 28 gr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by doccoraje; 12-07-2005 at 05:07 PM. Reason: forgor something

Members who have read this thread: 0