mtbr member

Foam Grip Discussion

So, one of my favourite things to do on the trail is clip my bars against trees. (I'm amazed by guys who love the wide bars as I'd kill myself.)

As a result, my foam (silicone) grips get torn up pretty often, so I'm always swapping them out. Thought I'd share some feedback on what I've tried and would love your input.

ESI Chunky - Not cheap, but they don't twist, which is great. No need to add hairspray, in fact you'll probably have to soap up your bars to get them on. I usually cut them off once damaged. Hate the gaudy end caps they include though - ugly logo. Decent hand padding though.

Crank Bros. - Also not cheap, and uses a lock-on solution (foam is on top of a plastic sleeve), but they provide the hex bit. The ends match most anodized colours, and provide some protection. Not bad at all, but not super-lightweight.

Ritchey Ergo foam - Very light, and not overly expensive - I'm running them now. Have an unusual shape (thicker area between thumb and index that I found odd at first, but like it now). They twist easily, so will require hairspray added first. Not as cushy as the ESI chunky, and I'm feeling it in my hands today.

Any other input on grips? I'll hit a tree soon, so curious about your feedback. How are the ESI regular grips?

mtbr member
    I've had good luck finding the ESI chunkies for what I would call pretty cheap on ebay. They are the best light grips I've tried.

mtbr member
    I didn't like the ESI Racer's Edge. They're nowhere near as cushy as the ESI Chunky.

OTB Pro

RE: Foam Grip Discussion

I've been using the ESI racer's edge grips for a while and although not as cushy as the chunky, they have become my favorite grips. Just simple, lightweight and not too thick either.

bike rider
    Titec Pork Rinds were the best ever but out of production. Ritchey makes a straight shape in a addition to the "ergo" you tired. They're alright but the foam's a little soft so I feel my hand bottom-out on the bar in rocks. I'm interested in the Bontrager XXX.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I just ordered some KCNC EVA's today, going to give them a shot, any of you guys like those?
    I had been using the Specialized XC lite foam grips for about a year, they were really cheap ($15?) and under 20 grams for the pair.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I'm interested in the Bontrager XXX.
    I've used the XXXs. Very light. I think they weighed around 15g. They are a firmer foam, and not all that cushy. I've since gone back to ESI Racer's Edge.

Wicketed
    I tried some prologo 'feathers', then took them off after one ride as they span round the bars like they were mounted on bearings. And the foam compound compressed and didn't spring back. So, back to ESI racer's edge for me. I run gripshift, and once you've cut the grip down to length there's less friction holding them, so the ESIs seem to be the only reliable option for me. Heavy for foam grips though...
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Foam Grip Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    I just ordered some KCNC EVA's today, going to give them a shot, any of you guys like those?
    I had been using the Specialized XC lite foam grips for about a year, they were really cheap ($15?) and under 20 grams for the pair.
    Please report back when you try the EVAs, I'm probably going to buy them as well so I'd like to know if they are worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've used Grab-Ons nearly forever, the set I have on my 'old bike' that I still regularly ride I bought new in '89. I've bought a couple pairs of nos GrabOn MTN-1s off ebay, -looks like about 70g in package on my crappy old scale. I've got large-ish hands and like a slightly bigger grip.
    I wonder if my shop carries the specialized xc lites...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Take a look at Lizard Skins new DSP foam grips that use double sided tape to prevent twisting.

Your Best Friend
    Stop hitting trees. It's not getting you anywhere any faster. Oh, ESI chunkies for sure.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

DFMBA.org

Foam Grip Discussion

Ritchey WCS hex foam grips. Good for large hands and very comfortable. http://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-True-G.../dp/B0012NNLN2
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Inuse the foam ritchey. The regular not the ergo. Bit i hairspray and they are on year number 2. Never slipped even in wet races.

metrotuned WoS
    phlegm: You described two grips that I have own or owned and used. Of the two, I would say a baby between the two would be the SRAM foam grip as they're light, and probably the lightest and best feeling current option for a "lock on" grip. If weight didn't matter, I'd roll OURY or Vans pattern lock on grips. Using them all, the ESI Chunky is superior in almost every way.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Glad to see more input here. I ran the Ritchey foam grips for the remainder of last season. They're fine, but not as cushy as ESI chunkys, and the Ritcheys rotated a bit (even with hairspray).

I'll probably go back to the chunkys this year... at least until I clip my next tree.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had great sucess with Extralite HyperGrips the last season. The hot tip to make any foam grip stay put is to use a tiny bit of wood glue on the bar prior to installation. Hair spray will just soak right into the grip and not do much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    ESI Chunky - Not cheap, but they don't twist, which is great. No need to add hairspray, in fact you'll probably have to soap up your bars to get them on. I usually cut them off once damaged. Hate the gaudy end caps they include though - ugly logo. Decent hand padding though.
    I'll quote myself, because I'm back to the ESI chunky grips, and love them. Great combination of padding and relatively light weight. They don't budge once installed. I don't think I'll switch again.

BTW, maybe they listened to me - they changed the ugly logo on the end caps!

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Not foam, but I love my Oury grips. Very cushy and I ride in a lot of rough terrain on a hardtail. Love em

I've tried a lot of foam grips and I'm not sold on them.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Ride Everything
    I'm running ESI extra-chunky grips on my Jones Loop bars. Very pleased with the cushioning.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Foam Grip Discussion

I have small hands. I'm guessing the ESI racers edge is better than the chunky for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
    I have small hands. I'm guessing the ESI racers edge is better than the chunky for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, probably best to start with the smaller diameter racers edge.