And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

filling in bottle cage bolt holes?

I'm getting rid of my bottle cages and going with a camelbak siren for races this season. I would like to get rid of the bolts too. Is there a good light weight and reversable option for filling the holes ?

mtbr member
    tape?

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by tim-
    i would say nylon screws, they doesn't fall of when it's muddy.
    Here too. Could not find the right threading, but I still just cross threaded on as it stays firmly. I would say it weighs nothing but then I am posting to the Save Some Weight board

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i would say nylon screws, they doesn't fall of when it's muddy.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    Hardware store?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    Here too. Could not find the right threading, but I still just cross threaded on as it stays firmly. I would say it weighs nothing but then I am posting to the Save Some Weight board

Mr. P
    Metric nylon screws are pretty hard to come by, at least in the US. I found a size that is close enough to thread in pretty smoothly though. #10-32. The shortest I could find was 1", so I cut about 1/2" off. Got them at Home Depot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I useds silicone caulk on my cross bike. Works well and is easy to remove if I ever need them.
    Thanks to www.fortframes.com

That's right....
    heres me post with PICTURES! =)
    sub 1 gram nylon bolts that FIT properly

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tape........your preference?

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    tape?
    Yes, I use some of that blue painters tape. Just for fun I took out the screws. They don't weigh much but its a free gain. Cost is about 1 cent.
    One nice thing about the blue painters tape is that it is easy to remove and normally does not affect the paint. However some who care about appearance may not like it.
    Weight of painters tape is nil......if you cut little squares. Under one gram for 4 holes is my guess.
    Sometimes I also tape my pump to the back of the seat post as it is seldom used and I can always stick it in my pocket afterwards should the tape not work twice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike
    Metric nylon screws are pretty hard to come by, at least in the US. I found a size that is close enough to thread in pretty smoothly though. #10-32. The shortest I could find was 1", so I cut about 1/2" off. Got them at Home Depot.
    did exactly the same. worked great. machined the head smaller and made around 3/8 inch long.
    "The Kyle Tabor"

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Wax!

My lbs guru suggested melting some candlewax and just covering the hole with it while it's still hot.m I'ts light, it's free, it comes in metric, and you can just scrape it off/push it through if you want your cages back on. Whataya think?

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    jezuss that stuff looks nasty.

mtbr member
    you know those wax bottles filled with that nasty juice? about 2 or 3" tall, about 5 in a package? i used that wax, actually. oh, these things and this wax:

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Hole Tech

You need Hole Tech Void Occupiers. They are discontinued but I have a few sets left. PM me and I can let them go for $10/set. Enough to fill one pair of water bottle bosses.

Don't be fooled by cheap imitations available in hardware stores for .02, these are authentic Hole Tech products.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by guava
    I'm getting rid of my bottle cages and going with a camelbak siren for races this season. I would like to get rid of the bolts too. Is there a good light weight and reversable option for filling the holes ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

second the nylon bolts

Quote Originally Posted by guava

American thread .185 dia x .5 long ~ I think 10/32 they cross thread but they stay secure!
    less than 1 gram per pair

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I think that maybe some "get a life" type bolts might work,available through the slightly obsessive bike shop.Sorry!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Get out the wifes hot glue gun.

I didnt like screws in the downtube of my specialized. So heat up the glue gun and give the hole a skirt. Worked like a champ.

I didnt actually do this to save weight. I just thought it was the dumbest idea to put cage bolts on the underside of the downtube. Maybee this was for a pump or something.

MaLóŚ˘*size=
    you can shave a little bit the end caps of bic pens and insert it on the frame holes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLoL
    you can shave a little bit the end caps of bic pens and insert it on the frame holes.
    The bonus is that you can get that in black, blue or red

aka Jesse Palmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    I prolly wouldn't use them on a two bolt stem, but with a four bolt I'd be less concerned with torque specs and could prolly get away with mounting my bars with these.
    from Nylon waterbottle cage bolts $.90 > save 16g

I hope this guy is joking...

Members who have read this thread: 5