mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Fast Fred Tubeless

Has anyone tried Schwable Fast Freds in the 2.0 size with Stans?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yep, just put mine back on last night. The first time I used them (I think with Eclipse, but I may have still been on home-made back then) they were the easiest tyres ever to air up, and performed well. However last night with my new Olympic rims one was a real pain. I think the valve may have been a bit gummed up and so the airflow wasn't that good, as the other one went on fine, and I solved the problem one by using my coke bottle compressor with the valve core removed to seat the tyre. They still seem to have sealed very well, with no noticeable air loss this morning.

Was putting them back on as I'm doing an urban race at the weekend - lots of tarmac not much off-road - and figured they would be better than even the Racing Ralphs which came off, and that their lack of durability wouldn't be a problem for that (fated myself now!).

I've tended not to swap tyres much using tubeless, as I've always reckoned it to be too much of a pain, but at least the one which went on OK was actually not much more of an issue than swapping a tyre with tubes - the Olympic rim makes getting tyres on and off so much easier in general than the Eclipse kit in a normal rim did. If the swap back next week works that well (I may just have to put a new core in) then I guess I might get round to swapping tyres more (got 2 more urban races this year to swap for!)

On your left.
    Jan 2004

good

I'm sure you can find some feedback by using the search. I've raced the light version converted tubeless (in the rear only). Climbing and rolling is excellent, cornering is good, braking is not good, durability is way better than it should be - makes you wonder why any tire needs to weight over 600grams. The low rolling resistance will not be worth it if your course has steep drops with turns or lots of braking. They have good sidewall structure so you do not need to overinflate them - that just really reduces the limited traction.
    M

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Indeed - whoah were those things scary on the loose stuff. Reminded myself why I don't use them much. Will be good on the tarmac though!

mtbr member
    I'm planning to use this tire this summer (front and rear) with NoTubes.
    But should I take the Tubeless-version or the light ?

banned

Don't....!

Quote Originally Posted by Skull
    I'm planning to use this tire this summer (front and rear) with NoTubes.
    But should I take the Tubeless-version or the light ?
    don't use them on the fron! that's the worst tire to have on the front wheel. no cornering, no braking...forget it. it is already a handful in the rear but definitely not suitable in the front.
    i don't understand why people mount such tires. the Rollingresistance is MORE than the Nokian NBX Lite which has full knobs! the knobs also provide some more puncture-resistance which is another weak point of the Fast Freds. get a full knobby instead which has even lower rollingresistance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nino, I don't see a FF in that diagram - only a RR. I was fairly sure that the chart with FFs in rated them as the fastest rolling, which was why I bought them, and why I decided to switch out the RRs (also have a pair of NBX lite) for them. Had them on front and rear, and despite doing some proper off-road riding yesterday they were fine (on solid hard pack and roots) - it was only on the loose gravel I tried them on mid-week where I had a problem. I was in fact faster on the technical off-road than anybody else in my team or in the other team we were riding with at the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    don't use them on the fron! that's the worst tire to have on the front wheel. no cornering, no braking...forget it. it is already a handful in the rear but definitely not suitable in the front.
    i don't understand why people mount such tires. the Rollingresistance is MORE than the Nokian NBX Lite which has full knobs! the knobs also provide some more puncture-resistance which is another weak point of the Fast Freds. get a full knobby instead which has even lower rollingresistance!
    However, the "Fat Fred" of 2.25 size might be worth looking into, no? I've heard really good things about those--that they have a bit of a thicker casing and the large contact patch at low pressure really makes up a lot for their lack of tread. Plus, many can be found at around the 500g mark or less...
    Attached Images Attached Images