mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Fast engagement, but light hubs?

I'm building out a Santa Cruz Highball carbon and am trying to get it as close to 20 lbs as possible. My problem is that I have been rolling with King hubs on all my bikes for 10+ years. The Kings are fairly heavy and I can't go back to slow engagement rear hubs.

Question: Anyone have suggestions on fast engagement, but light weight hubs. From what I have seen, the DT Swiss 180's and 240's seem to be the best option.

mtbr member
    Extralite HyperHubs.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Dt

That is my conclusion as well. DT Swiss with the 36t ratchet is a good compromise. To get much quicker you nees to go i9 or other heavy options.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    MTB252 (Bikehubstore.com) 48POE, 28 or 32 holes. 254gr.

I've got 2 so far, with chinese carbon rims. Works very well for me.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

banned
    Project 321 Hubs are lighter then I9's but use their freehub -

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Kappius. 240 poe and superlight
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

Cassoulet forever !
    incredibly fast engagement, light, optimized geometry for rigidity, stong, French and expensive :
    AcSe Parts : Moyeux franais pour vlos des montagnes - Moyeux et composants VTT - AcSe parts
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Stupid light but I would go with the new SP DT hubs if I were to do it again. Built up with 28/28 x ray’s and 29er carbon rims, total weight 1340g.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fast engagement, but light hubs?-2012-03-02_08-37-29_53_s.jpg  

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    I have these, they have been holding up very well
    MTB disc-brake hubs - superlight
    RAH!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by red5jedi View Post
    Stupid light but I would go with the new SP DT hubs if I were to do it again.
    Why?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Please, let us know why not recommend Extralite

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    When did King hubs became heavy? Did I miss something?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have King hubs, headset and bottom bracket, and think their stuff is great. It's not that they 'became heavy' it's just that there are other hubs out there which are lighter in weight.

The question in mind has always been whether shaving a few grams in a hub is worth it, given the severe loading and harsh operating environment that hubs must endure. My king stuff is absolutely bombproof and easy to service - the same can't be said for other w.w. products out there. The question is, where is that fine line where a decrease in weight crosses over into the zone of unreliability? Obviously the answer to that also relates to the rider, their weight, strength, riding style, etc.

I bought an Extralite stem a few years back and several people on this site warned me of impending doom, however the stem has been prefect so far. Extralite's bar ends, on the other hand, crumple like a beer can if you hit a rock with them, so for most riding conditions I don't think the bar ends are worth the expense for the grams saved. I have no experience with their hubs though.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    When did King hubs became heavy? Did I miss something?
    They are heavy compared to DT Swiss 240, Stans or American Classic's. But not heavy to most of any other cheap hubs.

I would call them well built, heavy is the wrong word.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrul View Post
    Please, let us know why not recommend Extralite
    So after a few hundred miles on my Extralite hubs, I opened up the rear to add more grease to the freewheel and floating ring. After that I started to have a little skip engagement problem that soon turned into not engaging at all. What must have happened when I opened it up is something must have got in the teeth and didn’t let it fully engage which caused the tips of the teeth to get sheared off. I ordered a replacement ring and freewheel and they are working fine, now. So now when I have to open up the rear hub, I flush it out with WD40 and clean the hell out of it – no quick peaking!

I just don’t know how long the hub shell will last with the only lube between the floating ring and shell is motor oil (I think 10w-50). So these rims have become more of a race wheelset and I built up a second set with DT190. The internals of the DTs use SS engagement teeth, a few more grams but will last much longer than the Al teeth of Extralite.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would say most of the top hubs are 1-2 ounces of each other. It really is silly to say they are heavy.

mtbr member
    DT 240s for me. They aren't as sexy as some other stuff, but they are tough to beat for weight and functionality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My #1 pick would be Tune, light, tough and loud and I love all 3 about them!!!!!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I run DT 240 and they have been beat on like crazy and just keep on a moving...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by norsk biker View Post
    My #1 pick would be Tune, light, tough and loud and I love all 3 about them!!!!!!
    Oh yes! Especially the Tune Dezibels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    But most of my hubs are Extralites, the UltraHubs SPDs and now the HyperHubs (more engagement) never had a problem with any of them them, even with their V-brake hub version. I could only afford to get one Tune Dezibel, just to satisfy my curiousity.

www.derbyrims.com
    Atomlab Pimplite. 60 clicks engagement, light weight, stiff DH bike oriented, lower in cost to other quick engaging hubs.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Atomlab Pimplite. 60 clicks engagement, light weight, stiff DH bike oriented, lower in cost to other quick engaging hubs.
    Using search function trying to find out info about Pimplite.

How loud are pimplite? I grew absolutely tired of Hope Pro 2. It is just too frigging noisy. Nukeproof hubs are tolerable.

In comparison to other hubs, how noisy are they?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools View Post
    I have these, they have been holding up very well
    MTB disc-brake hubs - superlight
    where is the pricing or where do you purchase these?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachua View Post
    where is the pricing or where do you purchase these?
    Price MTB hubs