Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Extralite UltraTerra TT 1125g

Just got my V-brake wheels delivered from Extralite. They have blade titanium spokes anodized blue with Extralite’s new Ultra Hubs.

No information on performance yet but I for one have only had good experiences with Extralite products. I will only use these wheels for racing and my weight is 79kg and more importantly (and always overlooked) I am easy on my equipment (learnt this a long time ago “look after your stuff and it will look after you".

I will have picks in the next couple of days.

I am now torn about which tires to run:

Nokian NBX light 500g (I like them but durablilty Vs weight is not that good)

Kenda Nevagal 560g (These are my tires of choice but seems a pity to put them on these light wheels)

Schwable Racing Ralph 470g (I am leaning towards these as they seem excellent all rounders)

Any suggestions?

banned

hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Macros Bikes
    Just got my V-brake wheels delivered from Extralite. They have blade titanium spokes anodized blue with Extralite’s new Ultra Hubs.

No information on performance yet but I for one have only had good experiences with Extralite products. I will only use these wheels for racing and my weight is 79kg and more importantly (and always overlooked) I am easy on my equipment (learnt this a long time ago “look after your stuff and it will look after you".

Kenda Nevagal 560g (These are my tires of choice but seems a pity to put them on these light wheels)

Schwable Racing Ralph 470g (I am leaning towards these as they seem excellent all rounders)

Any suggestions?
    sorry - but to me 1125g doesn't sound too realistic.
    are you sure it isn't 1225g??

just do the math:

front hub: 64g
    rear hub: 164g
    v-brake rims: 2x 350g? = 700g
    28+28 spokes = ca. 260g (although at your weight i wouldn't want to use just 28 spokes let alone titanium ones...)
    56 al-nippels= 18g
    total: 1206g

anyway - back to your original question:
    i'd go with the Racing Ralph ONLY if you have just dry terrain! any wet or damp patsches and you are lost.

the Nokian has superb grip on all sorts of terrain but lacks durability especially in rocky conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hi Nino

I have a lot of respect for your knowledge so if I am wrong then so be it.

Sergio told me the wheels weighed 1130g and when I received them I put them on my accurate scale (this is in my opinion) and they came in at 1125g. The pictures below are after i installed the Eclipse tubeless system.

Let me know what you think?

Thank you for the advice on the tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Hi Nino

I have a lot of respect for your knowledge so if I am wrong then so be it.

Sergio told me the wheels weighed 1130g and when I received them I put them on my accurate scale (this is in my opinion) and they came in at 1125g. The pictures below are after i installed the Eclipse tubeless system.

Let me know what you think?

Thank you for the advice on the tires.
    well- i can hardly read the weights because of the flash.
    the Eclipse rimtsrip and valve weighs 35g per wheel
    rims to mee look like American Classic which weigh 360g each.
    1125g seems just not possible.

at your weight i wouldn't trust them. nice wheels for sure, just trash them too much as the hubs aren't too sturdy and seals not too good.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Blind?

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    well- i can hardly read the weights because of the flash.
    You need to eat more carrots! The rear wheel clearly says 657g, the front 549g. If he's not manipulating the scale, that's just above 1200g with Eclipse rimstrips installed. We don't know that Extralite uses 360g AmClassic rims.

Ole.

Lazy People Suck

Any suggestions?
    For a good all around drier weather setup, I like to run a Kenda Blue Groove 2.0 in the front and a Kenda Karma in the back. When our team got its order in, I picked through several tires and got a Blue Groove and a Karma that were just under 450 grams each. Most were in the 460s and 470s. Another light tire that is a good all arounder is the Schwalbe Jimmy Light 2.1 at around 495 gr. I usually use these for wetter race conditions.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    You need to eat more carrots! The rear wheel clearly says 657g, the front 549g. If he's not manipulating the scale, that's just above 1200g with Eclipse rimstrips installed. We don't know that Extralite uses 360g AmClassic rims.

Ole.
    no, not blind. but i doubt the 1125g - definitely! that would mean the rims weigh 325g which isn't the case. not even Stans ultralight rims weight that little.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Nino here are some Extralite Road wheels...

that are that light!
    EXTRALTE ULTRA CLIMB SL
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Faller - Expert Class

Smile Congrats...

On that sweet wheelset! Extralite does make a good product, and I am just trying to decide which Extralite product to buy next!

banned

well...

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    that are that light!
    EXTRALTE ULTRA CLIMB SL
    1192 ain't 1125g, that's exactly what i said. around 1200g is ok but definitely not with 35g Eclipse kit installed.
    it just shows i was right.

very nice wheels but at 80 kilos definitelyon the edge...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hi Nino

You are fighting a loosing battle. I double checked the wheels on another scale and the weights are spot on!!!

The wheels Dirt Boy showed are road wheels without titanium spokes. So the rims are 29” vs. 26” and the spokes are lighter on my wheels.

I have no reason to mislead anybody so you should have no reason to mistrust me.

Recovering couch patato
    Macros, how wide are your rims?
    Looks like the trick to getting them so light was the bladed titanium spokes. These could well be lighter than the more often seen 2.0-2.0 Ti spokes, and at the same time make for a stiffer wheel at lower spoke tension. But I know nothing about wheels. What I do know, that it's about time that some innovations came through in the wheel industry, and this might be one of them.
    I think Nino is just a little jealous ;-)

banned

no, just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Macros, how wide are your rims?
    Looks like the trick to getting them so light was the bladed titanium spokes. These could well be lighter than the more often seen 2.0-2.0 Ti spokes, and at the same time make for a stiffer wheel at lower spoke tension. But I know nothing about wheels. What I do know, that it's about time that some innovations came through in the wheel industry, and this might be one of them.
    I think Nino is just a little jealous ;-)
    don't get me wrong - 1125g is just awesome! i just don't trust the weights as this would mean rims are extremely light OR just as you guessed maybe the spokes are that much lighter. but 28 Ti spokes at almost 80 kilos is still rather on the edge. if the weight is indeed true these are really , really light. but i wouldn't want to ride them. they wouldn't survive my riding style

these must be kind of "uphill only" wheels.

Recovering couch patato
    Heck, if he rides as light as he says which I'm sure he does, he could ride the same wheels as an aggressive 50kg rider. My 1480g original CrossMax '97 wheels were just fine for me, apart from the rear hub being pretty low-end. 8 years of innovation better offer us something much lighter without any loss of stiffness. Back then even this 1480g wasn't unique.
    With wheels to me it seems like unless you mess up one detail, the weight will be disappointingly high. These wheels may well be good to the last part, offering an impressive weight/stiffness ratio.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm curious about these spokes really, haven't seen titanium bladed spokes. Who makes them?

Nice wheels, and yeah the rims do look like AmClassics. No offense but personally I think they're kinda ugly. black rims, polished brake surfaces, gray spokes and black hubs? eek. I like my wheels like I like my men... all black

(joke)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Are those Clinchers?

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    that are that light!
    EXTRALTE ULTRA CLIMB SL
    That would be awesome if they were. I've been looking for climbing wheels but don't want to use tubuler to replace my 1550 grams Kyserium ssc. Also what price are they running at?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WAZCO
    That would be awesome if they were. I've been looking for climbing wheels but don't want to use tubuler to replace my 1550 grams Kyserium ssc. Also what price are they running at?
    i have some nice American Classic Magnesium clincher wheels. they weigh just 1223g and accelerate like you were doped
    the hubs aren't as light as the Extralites (the rear alone is about 40g heavier) but it's the rims that are much lighter and therefore they accelerate like mad. they come with Sapim CX-Rays...i love them!

i also have some nice AC350 wheels at 1290g but the magnesiums are that much faster...unreal.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine knows very very well Sergio and he saw with his eyes that weight. It's true, it's true.
    Do you know that new straight pull rear hub weighs 155 gr.?
    Last edited by scapin; 10-22-2005 at 10:23 AM.

The "pusher"..
    Yes, I saw with my eyes!!! 1135g on the digital scale...
    The new straight pull hubs are 62g and 155g
    The spokes aren't normal titanium spokes, but double butted!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i have some nice American Classic Magnesium clincher wheels. they weigh just 1223g and accelerate like you were doped
    the hubs aren't as light as the Extralites (the rear alone is about 40g heavier) but it's the rims that are much lighter and therefore they accelerate like mad. they come with Sapim CX-Rays...i love them!

i also have some nice AC350 wheels at 1290g but the magnesiums are that much faster...unreal.
    I didn't think I could get road clincher wheelset lower than 1400 grams. Good to know I've got more than one options. Did you order those wheelset or did you build them? Thanks Nino!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nino,
    The spokes that are used on the Extralite wheels are a butted and bladed ti spoke that weighs 3.5 grams each for a 260mm length. So the weight for the spokes would be 196g not 260g, subtract 54 grams from your estimate and you get 1152g.

banned

Amclassic wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by WAZCO
    I didn't think I could get road clincher wheelset lower than 1400 grams. Good to know I've got more than one options. Did you order those wheelset or did you build them? Thanks Nino!
    i got my 1st Amclassic wheels 3 years ago and was impressed. now i have a good source to get them see signature below!

banned

wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Ligero
    Nino,
    The spokes that are used on the Extralite wheels are a butted and bladed ti spoke that weighs 3.5 grams each for a 260mm length. So the weight for the spokes would be 196g not 260g, subtract 54 grams from your estimate and you get 1152g.
    cool!
    i have the latest extralite pricelist but couldn't find such info.that's why i was sceptical. these spokes are really light then!!

come dei spaghettini

Recovering couch patato
    I wonder what the blading does to Ti spokes. The same as to Sapim's? The bladed bit get incredibly stiff, so stiff the 2.0 head actually has trouble coping, they break before the alu nipples strip.
    What do 2.0 straight gauge Ti spokes weigh again? Surely these will make for a stiffer wheel?

Please let these spokes become available seperately for a reasonable price...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I wonder what the blading does to Ti spokes. The same as to Sapim's? The bladed bit get incredibly stiff, so stiff the 2.0 head actually has trouble coping, they break before the alu nipples strip.
    What do 2.0 straight gauge Ti spokes weigh again? Surely these will make for a stiffer wheel?

Please let these spokes become available seperately for a reasonable price...
    The heads of those ti spokes are 2.3. Here is the dimensions compared to cx-rays,

TB Aero
    2.3 taper to 2.0, 0.9/2.2 blade, 2.0 threads

CX-Ray
    2.0, 0.9/2.1 blade, 2.0 threads

These spokes will be available in the US next year through me and are available in Europe right now from a company called Pillar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast