Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Extralite Thru Axle RockShox reviews?

Hi guys

Any first hand impressions on this black weight weenie?

Black Lock

Regards

Come on, dare me!
    For now, they just have the DT Swiss model ready…

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The weight (25g) is certainly awesome, but the big drawback for me would be that it uses an 8mm allen key. My Lezyne multitool does not have one of those (and they are a disappearing thing on modern multi-tools now that square taper cranks are a thing of the past). Once you add the weight of a separate 8mm allen key (or a bigger, bulkier multitool that includes an 8mm allen key) then the weight savings of this over say the Carbon-Ti thru axle (37g) is erased. Can you get a 12g 8mm allen key?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Can you get a 12g 8mm allen key?
    Multi Tools

The carbon Ti and (and I think the FRM) QR15 bolt thru axles use 5mm hex.
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

metrotuned WoS
    Want one of these allen key "bolt on" skewer type QR15 axle's for my Fox F29!!! I saw that a few Fox riders are using something similar that "saves 40g" from the stock QR15. Where's the best source to pick one of these up in the states.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

metrotuned WoS
    TigWorld, the 8mm is on a couple mini multi tools. One of them is a Lezyne, the other is generic with a slide on 8mm cap, and it's very mini, could fit into a change pocket in jeans. This tool is helpful because it fits the non drive side Truvativ crank arm bolt for external BB cranksets, specifically helped a fellow Bike Party rider to get his bike's crank arm that had fallen off from lack of maintenance.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You're right, my Lezyne does have an 8mm on it. Fairwheelbikes in the States is probably your best bet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any place to get these in the U.S?

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzitsmyUSofwtvr View Post
    Any place to get these in the U.S?
    https://fairwheelbikes.com/extralite...le-p-6494.html

mtbr member
    The main reason I got the Carbon-Ti, instead of the Extralite, is that the Extralite has the allen groove on the thread side (needs to be tighten counterclockwise). Many torque wrenches are clockwise only.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    The weight (25g) is certainly awesome, but the big drawback for me would be that it uses an 8mm allen key.
    Where do you get 8mm from? They all use 6mm, it's even printed on the axles themselves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Where do you get 8mm from? They all use 6mm, it's even printed on the axles themselves.
    They must have changed them mid-production. See this from their face book page:

https://www.facebook.com/ExtraliteRa...levant_count=1

bike rider
    Yeah, they are different now. 6mm allen on the head side rather than the thread side. I just ordered a Rockshox 15mm and Santa Cruz 142.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I got them - they are great at holding the wheels in place and very light :-)

But since I often has to take the wheels off my bike I has began to use these for race only. For daily use it's easier with a Rock Shox 15mm qr and DT Swiss 142x12mm qr.

Extralite Thru Axle RockShox reviews?-img_2554.jpg

mtbr member
    Very cool upgrade...

mtbr member
    Can someone explain to me what they mean by the "self-lubing washer" on these things? Aside from sounding dirty, what exactly do they mean?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Can someone explain to me what they mean by the "self-lubing washer" on these things? Aside from sounding dirty, what exactly do they mean?
    It means the washers are made of oil impregnated sintered bronze.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just purchased the EXTRALITE 12 x 142 mm Maxle 142 and I have never been so disappointed buying light weight products before.

1. Design) having the internal hex in the drive side means that many mini tools 6 mm Allen long enough to remove the axle.

2. Thread) the machining of the thread on the axel is very bad meaning that the tightening of the axle become difficult.

3. Fit) the axle have too narrow tolerance and dismantle of the axle is more or less impossible. Tool used to drag it out!

This was my first and last part from EXTRALITE. I have just place order for the equal product from Carbon Ti and hope this one will be much better.

mtbr member
    I bought an Extralite for the RS on my Epic. Great piece. I like it so much I just ordered a front and rear set for my Les.

Wouldn't break my heart if QR skewers went away as OEM spec.

mtbr member
    Is it really worth $230 for a pair of these? What are you really gaining over a 15QR (or 12x142 Maxle?)
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A
    '14 Motobecane Elite Trail rigid 700c commuter
    '93 Scott Montana beer bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars K. P. View Post
    ...I have just place order for the equal product from Carbon Ti and hope this one will be much better.
    I have the Carbon Ti version and the Tune DC15 and for ease of use I prefer the Carbon Ti. It's easy to do up and undo because the allen head is on the end that you'd expect it to be, so when you turn it you can push on the axle to have it engage with the threads. With the extralite, it looks like you'd need to push on the axle with one hand and then use the other to rotate it will your allen key.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Yeah, they are different now. 6mm allen on the head side rather than the thread side. I just ordered a Rockshox 15mm and Santa Cruz 142.

Which Extralite rear axle (part #) did you order for your SC? and does it fit?

bike rider
    So they all have the hex on the thread end. Since it's a 6mm hex that means it doesn't work with Santa Cruz. Hopefully they make a 5mm model of the Scott axle to fit Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Extralite Thru Axle RockShox reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    So they all have the hex on the thread end. Since it's a 6mm hex that means it doesn't work with Santa Cruz. Hopefully they make a 5mm model of the Scott axle to fit Santa Cruz.
    So....is there any way to modify the SC drive side to take the 6mm hex or have a 142mm long 6mm hex key to tighten the axle from the non-drive side....it can work?

edit: looks like you could have the 5mm "nut-washer" that secures the hanger drilled out to say 8/10mm allowing you to put the a 6mm hex through to secure the axles.....

you could "slot" the 5mm "nut-washer" to enable it to be secured woth a large flat blade screwdriver...
    Last edited by Gripo; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:26 AM.

bike rider
    The derailleur hanger nut is a 6mm hex. If it was 8mm this would work or if the axle was 5mm (like the V10 axle) it would work. If you don't mind taking the time you can remove the nut, tighten the axle, then re-install the nut. I contacted Extralite and am waiting for a response.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast