Arnborg strik

Extralite Stemcap and Ultrastar :-)

Just got some new stuff for my bike :-)

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    Wat is the total weight savings over a standard star nut and chris king cap? is there a saftey penalty/benifit to this set up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    Just got some new stuff for my bike :-)
    Your scale is totally stoned... Topcap 4 gr.???

Recovering couch patato
    Please do put cap+bolt+star all on the scale, and then a "regular" cap/steel bolt/star set. It seems like a great place to save weight, if it works nicely in tensioning the headset. But knowing Extralite, any grams saved do come in a very special price/gram package...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Please do put cap+bolt+star all on the scale, and then a "regular" cap/steel bolt/star set. It seems like a great place to save weight, if it works nicely in tensioning the headset. But knowing Extralite, any grams saved do come in a very special price/gram package...
    I'll do for him. REAL Topcap weight is 6 gr.+ 9 gr. Ultrastar = 15 gr.
    My OEM carbon Giant XTC cap weighs with regular steel starnut 26 gr.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bang
    well heck, if you're going to shave grams that way, you may as well not even bother with the starnut, top cap and bolt! i'm sure someone makes light weight caps that can cover the hole if you're concerned with aesthetics. as for safety, how often has your stem come loose, or loose enough to turn and / or pull off?

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by scapin
    So how much did this 11 grams savings cost?

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Arnborg strik

I have just been at the postoffice!

to weigh the stuff on their scale
    forgot to bring the camera :-(
    Actual weight of the Extralite stemcap with alu-bolt is 5 gram!
    the Ultrastar is 9 gram!

Arnborg strik

The price was

53 euro+shipping for the Stemcap and ultrastar!

mtbr member
    the Ultrastar is 9 gram!
    From Extralite Euro Pricelist:
    Top Cap Headset 1'1/8 stem cnc cap, black anodized with laser etched graphics, “Hart-Coat” Ergal preload bolt, [SIZE=5]6.5gr.[/SIZE] 24.-

mtbr member
    the Ultrastar is 9 gram!
    It looks like Extralite has made the top cap and bolt a bit lighter since I got mine a few years ago. I have the version with a hollow steel bolt that weighs 8g (5g + 3g). The King cap and bolt come in at 18g, but half of that is the fairly long steel bolt. It would be very cheap to get that total down to around 11g with a shorter aluminum bolt.

The Ultrastar is 9g, and a typical steel starnut is 10g. Not much weight savings, but it's nice to have a starnut that is easy to remove and won't rust. If you have a carbon steerer and have to use an expander plug, the Ultrastar is the lightest option. It's only drawback is that is can't expand enough to be used in some steel steerer tubes which have a bigger inside diameter due to their thinner walls.

If you want to save more weight on a King headset, they offer a Ti crown race that weighs 8g. The steel crown race is around 13g.

mtbr member
    Top Cap Headset 1'1/8 stem cnc cap, black anodized with laser etched graphics, “Hart-Coat” Ergal preload bolt, [SIZE=5]6.5gr.[/SIZE] 24.-
    Top Cap Headset 1'1/8 stem cnc cap, black anodized with laser etched graphics, “Hart-Coat” [SIZE=5]Ergal preload bolt[/SIZE], [SIZE=5]6.5gr.[/SIZE] 24

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guava
    Wat is the total weight savings over a standard star nut and chris king cap? is there a saftey penalty/benifit to this set up?
    I just weighed my Chris King topcap with the standard head bolt and it came out to 17g. Starnut is probably 9g or so.

Arnborg strik

Yeahh

Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike
    It looks like Extralite has made the top cap and bolt a bit lighter since I got mine a few years ago. I have the version with a hollow steel bolt that weighs 8g (5g + 3g). The King cap and bolt come in at 18g, but half of that is the fairly long steel bolt. It would be very cheap to get that total down to around 11g with a shorter aluminum bolt.

The Ultrastar is 9g, and a typical steel starnut is 10g. Not much weight savings, but it's nice to have a starnut that is easy to remove and won't rust. If you have a carbon steerer and have to use an expander plug, the Ultrastar is the lightest option. It's only drawback is that is can't expand enough to be used in some steel steerer tubes which have a bigger inside diameter due to their thinner walls.

If you want to save more weight on a King headset, they offer a Ti crown race that weighs 8g. The steel crown race is around 13g.

I would like to have the CK TI crown race,but i am running a Pike 454 Dual Air on my Intense 5.5.So to keep the floodgate adjuster from hitting the downtube, i am running
    a Ventana 7mm crown race (weight 31gram)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Or you could buy a short aluminum M6 bolt for $1 and remove some material from any generic cap and get the same result...