mtbr member
    Jan 2004

extralite 12-27t cassette cog-1@125 grms......

has anybody tried this cassette which comes in at aprox £80-£90?
    does it last as long as shimano or longer? (provided you keep your eye on the chain/drivetrain of course!)

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Those are made by KCNC. I am using the 12-27 on the MTB and a 11-21 on the roadie. Now over 1000 milks on the roadie with no issues!

They are rated for 6000 miles, but 4500 miles might be tops.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks dirt boy will you let me know if they do last longer than ultegra 12-27?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marco
    thanks dirt boy will you let me know if they do last longer than ultegra 12-27?
    forget that!

Ultegra are steel cogs and last "forever". the KCNC are aluminium and regardless what they say will wear through after ca. 2000 miles on the roadbike.

Recon aluminium are lighter (just 110g incl. lockring) and a bit cheaper as well (). i'm about to get aluminium cassettes with a speciual coating which gets applied here in switzerland. said to be harder than diamond....i will let you guys updated. that should be THE hot ticket to light and lasting cassettes! the 11-32 weighs just 143g...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

You know that the KCNC is not ALL aluminum...

The first 2 are Ti, 4 Scandium then the last 4 are Aluminum o the 10spd and then 1/4/4. yes Scandium is Aluminum and wears harder.

I know sweveral riders with 3-4000 miles on these with no issues. They are warrantied for 6000 miles.

Thos cassettes with cooating sounds very interesting and yes, could be it for making light cassettes! I theory it should allow the aluminum to last longer, but time will tell....
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    In theory yes, but like all other coatings that have been used on sprockets and chainrings, it will wear, and then you are down to the soft alu underneath which will still go quickly.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris m
    In theory yes, but like all other coatings that have been used on sprockets and chainrings, it will wear, and then you are down to the soft alu underneath which will still go quickly.
    if it's harder than diamond wear will be minimal . durability will sure improve.to what degree has to be seen.

mtbr member
    Here at works we've done some research on using hard coatings on aluminum. It doesn't not make up for the soft understructure. The coatings are ususally pretty thin, and they (platers) call it egg shelling. For light load wear it'll be ok, but under heavy pressure, the coating will crack because the aluminum underneath is soft. Even in case hardening steel, that hardness goes ~1mm deep, a lot deeper than .03mm hard plating. Hard anodizing is HRC 60+, a lot harder than medium carbon steels heat treated, but still wears off.

Either way, the specially coated casstte may last longer than a hard ano casstte, but still never as durable as steel.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Here at works we've done some research on using hard coatings on aluminum. It doesn't not make up for the soft understructure. The coatings are ususally pretty thin, and they (platers) call it egg shelling. For light load wear it'll be ok, but under heavy pressure, the coating will crack because the aluminum underneath is soft. Even in case hardening steel, that hardness goes ~1mm deep, a lot deeper than .03mm hard plating. Hard anodizing is HRC 60+, a lot harder than medium carbon steels heat treated, but still wears off.

Either way, the specially coated casstte may last longer than a hard ano casstte, but still never as durable as steel.

BM

mtbr member

BM

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi,
    Just curious as to what type of mountain bike riding you do with the KCNC 12-27 cassette? They shift just as well as shimano/SRAM? I know they're worth the money to some in terms of weight, but what about durability and performance. Do you use them everyday or just race-day.
    Thanks

Goathead Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    forget that!

Ultegra are steel cogs and last "forever". the KCNC are aluminium and regardless what they say will wear through after ca. 2000 miles on the roadbike.

Recon aluminium are lighter (just 110g incl. lockring) and a bit cheaper as well (). i'm about to get aluminium cassettes with a speciual coating which gets applied here in switzerland. said to be harder than diamond....i will let you guys updated. that should be THE hot ticket to light and lasting cassettes! the 11-32 weighs just 143g...
    wow! Where can I buy one of these 11-32 ? What's the part number?

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    I live in Florida where it's flat.
    No big climbs, just short and very steep!
    It shift as well as a SRAM and very close to Shimnao. In other words, I really can't tell the difference.

My 10 spd Campy one on the road is also just as smooth as Shimano/Campy.

I use it as an everyday cassette. I would say for most it should be a an occasional XC and race day cassette.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0