Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

ESI grips install: discription only. Sticky?

Figured I'd post this here since it was basically you guys that gave me the idea to check these out. Hope its ok here?

The ESI instructions seemed a bit vague and since some have had issues installing ESI grips, (I read a lot of posts here and since I had concerns over installation) I incorporated ideas and thought to consolidate this. It worked FLAWLESSLY for me.

First, marked a 1 in. line (Oops! sorry, 25.4mm!) on 'thick' side of grip w/ballpoint pen (deep enough to tattoo into the grip).
    next, got a glove on (Mechanic's type glove worked great)
    then, filled a microwave bowl with H2O deep enough to submerge a grip.
    cleaned/prepped bar w/ rubbing alcohol, leave wet.

Put bowl in microwave on Hi and nuked H20 for 5 min.
    BING! submerged grip in hot H20 for about a min. (held underwater and rolled back an forth a bit w/ wooden spoon).

Took hot grip out with spoon end in hole, took in gloved hand to the bike, put gloved thumb over one end, poured 2,3 capfuls? (by eye) into open end, capped open end with other thumb, shook vigorously for a min.
    Poured excess alcohol from grip onto bar, slid grip on with gloved hand, a few small twists, on in 15 seconds, no issues at all.
    Aligned pen marks to palm position, (barely on there after alcohol/heat so look carefully)
    visually lined up extrusion/forming marks on grip from processing, to 'center' the grip, figured if it was on 'straight' it would be less likely to twist later since it wasn't torqued out from whatever cellular bonding process that holds the silicone together. (idk, just made sense to me...)

Once they cooled in like, 2 min, they were already ROCK solid I'll see how they work tomorrow...

Yes, a lot of thought went in, may be completely stupid or unnecessary to some, or all, if anyone objects or feels its overkill, well, too bad.
    figured this info might help someone down the road doing a search or having ESI install anxiety as I did...

H

Get to dah choppah
    I use isopropyl alcohol as directed and it works perfectly. Is there some reason that you didn't want to do that?
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Re: ESI grips install: discription only. Sticky?

Or just blow them on with an air hose and compressor.

mtbr member
    My method involves a vacuum chamber while orbiting the earth in zero gravity.

mtbr member
    I use hair spray.

Soulforce Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    I use hair spray.
    Same here. Took about 15 seconds each.
    Soulforce Cycling | Riding apparel from size Small to 5XL. Visit us at - http://www.soulforcecycling.com

mtbr member
    used the hair spray method as well, quick and painless. except when the girlfriend finds out you used her hairspray. :-P

mtbr member
    Windex. On the bar on the grip. Push it on. Pop hand on end of grip to make air inside slide on. 1 min total

noob
    thats a hell of a lot of work to put grips on.
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    After re reading I do think as in your own words completely stupid.

I was at the shop talking with Ryan Woodall while he was building a new felt and he took all of 20 seconds to use Ana air compressor to put his on and never even looked to see where they ended up. I'm guessing he's much faster Than you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Compressed air works, watch some yt vids for full details

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Ellsworth Epiphany - 27.5/650b conversion
    `09 Cannondale 29er F4 - Dog walking bike

There's always next year.
    I just use isopropyl alcohol/Windex. Rotates enough to adjust the grip, and then will stick solid after a few hours.

mtbr member

I had trouble getting my KCNC grips to stay on some EC90 bars, hairspray just didn't work. The solution was to put a single layer of nursing tape—the sticky stuff—around the bar. The grips had to be coaxed on, but were fine thereafter.

mtbr member
    I just used Autoglym Fast Glass - went on easily and stuck to the extent that i had to cut them off after the two rides it took to realise i hated them!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Jesus, I had a feeling I'd incur wrath... LMAO you guys are a hard crew to contend with sometimes....
    In any event, I don't have access to an air compressor, (some do, some don't) attempted a dry fit to evaluate how difficult the install might be, these suckers were TIGHT, and my 1st attempt with alcohol and windex had me fighting so I backed out before they'd gotten stuck on and created a problem. I'd seen some had difficulty installing these in searches I'd done for something like this. I thought I'd try and come up with a fool proof solution, all I did was attempt to explain my solution in great detail for future installers doing a search. FWIW all I really did was simply heat em up a bit to ease the install... I heartily apologize for offending and insulting anyone's sensibilities LMAO!! I was just trying to help. Thanks for the feedback ROFL

mtbr member
    Hairspray here, there's definitely a knack to it though!
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The hard part is getting them off in one-piece....not easy, but if you can squirt some alcohol under the grip it makes it much easier.

mtbr member

101 uses. Installing grips that are instantly ready to ride is one of them, taking them off is another.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    Windex. On the bar on the grip. Push it on. Pop hand on end of grip to make air inside slide on. 1 min total
    This is my method, too.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by ginsu2k View Post
    The hard part is getting them off in one-piece....not easy, but if you can squirt some alcohol under the grip it makes it much easier.
    Why would you want to get them off in one piece, to reuse them? They are so cheap that I just razor blade them off and slide on a fresh, new pair. Guys, always stock a fresh pair in your parts dept.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Was told by a Cannondale rep that he saw one of their team mechanics using WD40 to install grips. I gave it a shot and it works perfect but, I always let it sit over night to dry. Never have had a problem with the grips moving around either. Much easier than hairspray.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Why would you want to get them off in one piece, to reuse them? They are so cheap that I just razor blade them off and slide on a fresh, new pair. Guys, always stock a fresh pair in your parts dept.
    Yup. I wish I could take them off easy, but when I've tried to remove ESIs to reuse, I seemingly always punch a hole/rip in one of the grips. I don't keep spares handy, but I do keep bolt on grips in the parts bin when I'm installing new cockpit stuff and don't put on the ESIs until I'm sure I like everything.

mtbr member
    I've tried all kind of ways, but a wee drool works best.
    For carbon after chewing lemon or lime and for AL after coconut.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

101 uses. Installing grips that are instantly ready to ride is one of them, taking them off is another.

JB Weld???

Yikes!! I'll bet YOUR grips NEVER throttle around, am I right???

Helmetless Crasher
    Never had a issue installing these grips.
    Never knew anybody else did, either.

alcohol, windex, etc. and BOOM, they are on in 5 sec per side.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast