mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Epic / XTR 952 cranks/ Dura-ace BB

Have a new Specialized Epic frame on the way and just trying to sort out BB stuff. I know it has a 68 shell and from their website they were running "Shimano ES-30 Octalink spline, 68mm shell, 118mm spindle. 50mm chainline."

I was thinking of running the older style XTR cranks with a dura-ace BB as I have a 2x9 system. Does any one know if there will be any clearance issuses. Or should I just stick with an XTR 113 bottom bracket.

Thanks Grant

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Dura Ace

I often wish that I still had my M-952 cranks just so that I could run the Dura Ace BB. Since XTR is 112.5 mm and DA is around 109.5 or so the DA is only 3 mm narrower. So your arms will end up 1.5 mm closer to the chainstays. Even long crank arms should have plenty of clearance. You will end up with a better chainline and Q factor, and even save a little weight. I say go for it.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Only problem....

You shouldn't have any clearance issues, but DA bottom brackets don't hold up to mountain biking so well. The little needle bearings in there wear out pretty quick (about as fast as previous ISIS) and the seals start letting grit and grime inside fairly quickly. It's light, and the DA bb isn't super expensive, but know that you'll be replacing it before too long, especially if you are a large powerful rider or ride in wet conditions.

HTF
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Be careful with that setup, Epics have very wide chainstays, I had problems fitting some M960 XTR crankarms on a S-works epic, the chainrings didn't leave more than 1-2mm of clearance with the chainstay. I think you'll be better with the DuraAce triple BB (118.5 lenght).

Miki

mtbr member
    i think it wont fit. you can trie to find a good and old m950 xtr bb wich is around 185grams and lasts forever.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

jonny_mac

with a 2x9

system it will fit no problem(29/44), and create the correct chainline. if you
    were staying with a triple then you would probably have some issues.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    You shouldn't have any clearance issues, but DA bottom brackets don't hold up to mountain biking so well. The little needle bearings in there wear out pretty quick (about as fast as previous ISIS) and the seals start letting grit and grime inside fairly quickly. It's light, and the DA bb isn't super expensive, but know that you'll be replacing it before too long, especially if you are a large powerful rider or ride in wet conditions.

HTF
    Huh? I know I'm getting myself into a dead argument by comparing two different products, but I've been running the 950 style XTR BB's since they came out on both my mountain bike and my trials bike and have had no such issues with the needle bearings in my BB. In fact, the BB currently in use on my MTB was purchased in 1997. By giving it a thorough cleaning every two years (or when I have done a particularly muddy races as the 24hrs of Canaan) and repacking it, it's been solid.

What's even more impressive to me is that I have a 7 year old BB which has served on my stock trials bike since purchase. It has been used in many competitions (I compete at the Expert level) with no issue.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    ...I've been running the 950 style XTR BB's since they came out on both my mountain bike and my trials bike and have had no such issues with the needle bearings in my BB. In fact, the BB currently in use on my MTB was purchased in 1997...
    The DA needle bearings are teeny weeny, and the seals aren't nearly as tight as the XTR seals. That's part of the reason they spin so smoothly, but also why they wear quickly.
    A hardtail is forever