mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Enve,Cx-Ray,Extralite wheelset

Just got these pics from Fairwheelbikes on a wheelset their building for me.
    Enve 26" UST 28 hole with custom decals.
    Sapim Cx-Ray spokes.
    Pillar Alum. nipples.
    Extralite: Hyperfront 15mm TA, Hyperrear.
    Total 1169.9 grams.
    Going to be running these tubliss, so Fairwheel is going to test installing Stan's yellow tape with heat ( due to the deep rim well ) instead of running the thick/heavy Enve tape.
    Really like dealing with these guys - their great. Richard found me two light rims.Claimed is 350 grams, mine are 330 & 327 grams
    I'll let you know how it go's and will post more pics when I get these in a few weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enve,Cx-Ray,Extralite wheelset-enve_extralite_studio_02_1.jpg  

Enve,Cx-Ray,Extralite wheelset-enve_extralite_studio_01_1.jpg  

Enve,Cx-Ray,Extralite wheelset-enve_extralite_rear_scale_1.jpg  

Enve,Cx-Ray,Extralite wheelset-enve_extralite_front_scale_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    They look awesome, congrats!

Edit: Let us know how they ride and hold up, long term too!
    Last edited by litany; 02-23-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Hack Racer
    very sexy.

What are you opinions of the the carbon fibre rims versus aluminum? Better stiffness? I thought about them, but could not justify them. I have 46mm Reynolds DV46C rims laced to tune hubs for my aero road bike. but the reason why I went with carbon fibre there was because I wanted flared rims for aero advantage without the penalty of aluminum rims with carbon fairings bonded to them.

For MTB obviously we don't care about aero. So the only advantage is stiffness?

mtbr member
    Those rims look fantastic and I understand they're very stiff. I thought about them too, but I couldn't justify them either. $870 each is way too expensive.

I went with the NoTubes ZTR Alpine rims instead. They are lighter and cost ten times less.

Extralite HyperFront Black 32H
    Extralite HyperRear Black 32H
    NoTubes ZTR Alpine Black 32H
    Pillar PST X-TRA Straight Pull spokes (Natural Ti colour)
    DT Alloy nipples Black
    Total 1096 grams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    Those rims look fantastic and I understand they're very stiff. I thought about them too, but I couldn't justify them either. $870 each is way too expensive.

I went with the NoTubes ZTR Alpine rims instead. They are lighter and cost ten times less.

Extralite HyperFront Black 32H
    Extralite HyperRear Black 32H
    NoTubes ZTR Alpine Black 32H
    Pillar PST X-TRA Straight Pull spokes (Natural Ti colour)
    DT Alloy nipples Black
    Total 1096 grams
    1740/10=$174
    That's an inexpensive wheelset you've got lol

In all seriousness, that's damn light. Just don't ride a set of carbon wheels your wallet will get lighter nearly instantly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks guys. Stiffness with these was 3rd on my list for getting these, strength & lightweight were my first two. These are being used on my XC/AM bike. Several of are rides here in the Rockies start out with an 1 1/2 climb, so thats the lightweight part obviously. I also wanted a reliable rim/wheelset for bombing the downhills & taking the bike to some BC bike parks. These wheels will take my AM bike from 22.4 lbs. to 21.75 lbs. That's also running a wide riser bar, 150mm travel, 2x9 gearing & large volume tires.
    The cost is nuts but I had a front CB Cobalt rim split in two without hitting anything doing approx. 60 KM down a mountain resulting in the mother of all taco's - I was lucky I wasn't killed, but still had busted bones & 7 weeks off the bike in race season.Not that every alum. rim is going to fail, but the Enve's are really strong & light. To get similar weight (because mine are 330 & 327 grams) I would have to go Alpines, but not crazy about taking those to bike parks. I have a light Tune Prince/Princess, Sapim Superspoke, Alpine build on my XC race bike that I'm really happy with for that application.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enve,Cx-Ray,Extralite wheelset-img_1282_1.jpg  

Enve,Cx-Ray,Extralite wheelset-img_1276_1.jpg  

Enve,Cx-Ray,Extralite wheelset-100_2281.jpg  

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    The cost is nuts but I had a front CB Cobalt rim split in two without hitting anything doing approx. 60 KM down a mountain resulting in the mother of all taco's - I was lucky I wasn't killed, but still had busted bones & 7 weeks off the bike in race season.
    I've no allegiance to Crank Brothers (gave up on nearly all their products) but that wheel broke at the seam because you taco'd it, not the other way around. Most likely from a funky loading on the wheel or low spoke tension. Rims don't just break apart spontaneously.

EDIT; Also, your 21lb pound AM bike isn't.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    I've no allegiance to Crank Brothers (gave up on nearly all their products) but that wheel broke at the seam because you taco'd it, not the other way around. Most likely from a funky loading on the wheel or low spoke tension. Rims don't just break apart spontaneously.

EDIT; Also, your 21lb pound AM bike isn't.
    Wrong. When I sent the wheel back to CB they admitted they've had issues with the seams splitting for no apparent reason. It split first. The newer Cobalts are joined differently to address this.
    "Also, your 21lb pound AM bike isn't" Not sure what you're talking about here?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Wow. Sorry to hear about your crash, that's pretty scary. I go down some pretty fast descents almost every day and what happened to you is really my biggest fear.

Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Wrong. When I sent the wheel back to CB they admitted they've had issues with the seams splitting for no apparent reason.
    Yeah I'm not really convinced of CB's quality as my friends have had CB pedals which haven't really held up very well. Someone on here also cautioned others that their egg beater 11 pedal "disposable" which is pretty nuts for such an expensive pedal. But seams splitting at random on a rim forcing a redesign? Wow. That's completely unacceptable and ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's a very nice set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    To try and further save weight, instead of using the heavy Gorilla tape that Enve supplies, Fairwheel bikes tried 21mm Stan's yellow tape. That wasn't very good as it was to narrow. They then tried 25mm yellow tape and that worked great, they just had to mount a tire & tube to seat the tape.So total weight with tape & valves looks like 1190 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enve,Cx-Ray,Extralite wheelset-yellow_taped_enve_ust_1.jpg