mtbr member
    Nov 2008

egg beater 4ti creak!!!! UPDATED

Hi,
    I have an 09 scalpel team with the SI Hollogram crankset. For pedals I'm using the egg beater 4ti. I like the weight of them, but I cant get rid of the obnoxious creaking the cause. I have tried everything; loads of grease and anti-sieze/ti-prep. I certainly cant stand the sound, so what should I do next? Are there any other tricks? Plz help me, thank you.

2 days later
    so i went on a ride using my xtr pedals. There was no creak anymore, so the egg beaters def were creaking. Besides using ti-prep and grease is there anything else I can do so that my 4ti wont creak. So many people use these pedals, how do you guys do it?
    Last edited by epicracer5; 06-28-2009 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Are you sure its coming from the pedals? have you checked other things like the seatpost, seat, handlebars, crank, etc.? Many creaks that sound like they could be coming from you pedals could be coming from other places. good luck.
    "If you brake, you don't win" - Mario Cipollini

mtbr member
    I'm having the same problem with my 4ti's,
    heading today to the lbs to see if they can help.

Later on the day if it is fixed, I'll tell you what we do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Make sure you clean the pedal spindle and the crank threads real good with contact cleaner or something. I had a little piece of something stuck in my crankarm that cause a tick tick tick every pedal stroke...If your pedals have some milage on them you may need a rebuild as the plasic bushing gets used up on the inside of the spindle. It has a bearing on the outside and a cheap plastic bushing on the inside..
    www.metalmtncycling.com ]Try Hammer Nutrition, 15% off first order. www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/106898

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Are you sure it's not coming from the pedal/shoe interface? The egg's arms and your sole (especially if they're carbon) will creak.

mtbr member
    If you do figure out that it is the pedals, it could be the bearings that are in there. Get a rebuild kit for like 20 bucks and install it, its only like a 10 min fix per pedal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    im going ridin tomorow with my old xtr pedals and i will confirm that it is the pedals, but i am preatty sure cause the creaking goes away for the first 5 minutes after i apply fresh greas and then starts again

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    so i went on a ride using my xtr pedals. There was no creak anymore, so the egg beaters def were creaking. Besides using ti-prep and grease is there anything else I can do so that my 4ti wont creak. So many people use these pedals, how do you guys do it?

mtbr member
    i do have de same problem... replaced bearings, replaced bushing, change grease, and stil noisy... very annoying... did anyone ended up fixing this noise somehow ?

mtbr member
    Call up Crank Bro's...you spent $400 on their highest end pedal, they will shine some light on the problem.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    Are you sure it's not coming from the pedal/shoe interface? The egg's arms and your sole (especially if they're carbon) will creak.
    Bingo! I had the EXACT same issue. Use a wax based chain lube on your cleat and the "X" and springs. I rode 18 miles yesterday and 14 today as quiet as could be.