Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Missing
    May 2007

Easton EC90 Zero carbon seatpost

I am looking for a new carbon seat post and found some horror stories and good stories about the EC90, I want something strong and light and most importantly reliable. What have you guys experienced with this seat post I know a lot of you run them.

looking at the latest model like the pic :

mtbr member
    Just get yourself a Thomson Masterpiece. It may have a few more grams...but its worth it for the strength.

The Missing
    May 2007
    I had a Thompson on my Carbon S works, I can actually tell a difference over carbon and aluminum seats posts. I also needs a 400MM seat post, Masterpieces are too short for my Litespeed build. The Thompson is very very reliable however rides harsh compared to carbon.

LuizSalles
    Quote Originally Posted by pernfilman
    I had a Thompson on my Carbon S works, I can actually tell a difference over carbon and aluminum seats posts. I also needs a 400MM seat post, Masterpieces are too short for my Litespeed build. The Thompson is very very reliable however rides harsh compared to carbon.
    I have the same problem, need a 400mm seatpost, I had a mastepiece too, but bought one EC90, because the masterpiece is too short, and my frame Gary fisher need the 400mm seatpost.....

I´m just waiting my new frame to use the EC90.... one stumpjumper HT
    LuizSalles
    São Paulo, São Paulo
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Got one myself. Swapped to the EC90 from a thomson Masterpiece i found the Thomson too harsh to ride with, much prefer the carbon.

Mine is 31.6x400mm weighed 212 grams.

Tuned it with Ti bolts and KCNC clamps and its now 183 grams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode this seatpost last year. Previous to that I was riding a Thomson Masterpiece. If Thomson is the benchmark for quality and function, then the Easton met the grade - worked just as well.

The only thing is that the portion of the seatpost that is inside the frame will get scratched up pretty good - only a concern if you plan to resell it - whereas when you pull the thomson out of the frame, it is dirty, but looks new again after a wipe.

banned
    The Eastons are pretty much bombproof as well. And they still have some tuning potential left...Titanium bolts or even clamps from KCNC lower the weight quite a bit.

shown below:
    31,6/400: 196g
    27,2/400: 189g
    Easton EC90 tuned with KCNC clamping parts
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    If anyone here is using an EC90 with KCNC clamps let me know, got a question!

mtbr member
    I have been using one for a little under a year. In 30.9, not sure the length off hand, but I would guess I cut off 3 inches, with ti hardware, it weighs 172.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    nino,

how did you achieve the carbon weaving look on cnt carbon parts?

just water sand it?

I love to do the same with my handle...

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    The Eastons are pretty much bombproof as well. And they still have some tuning potential left...Titanium bolts or even clamps from KCNC lower the weight quite a bit.

shown below:
    31,6/400: 196g
    27,2/400: 189g
    Easton EC90 tuned with KCNC clamping parts

mtbr member
    That's an old EC90.

They used to be "normal" carbon in 2006/2007 then they changed to "CNT Carbon" which is why it looks different. You can't make a CNT version look like normal carbon. Don't know why you would want too, CNT Carbon looks great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    That's an old EC90.

They used to be "normal" carbon in 2006/2007 then they changed to "CNT Carbon" which is why it looks different. You can't make a CNT version look like normal carbon. Don't know why you would want too, CNT Carbon looks great!
    thanks Tiffster,

i have old EC90 also, but i thought nino did something interesting with the cnt model

i have obsolutely no complaints on its function, but i am gathering parts matching with teh rest of my bike

btw its not finished and will change some parts when they come
    Attached Images Attached Images

LCW
    mtbr member
    how does the EC70 seatpost compare? they are blowing them out on Jenson (don't know if that's a good or bad thing.... flawed???)

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/S...atpost+08.aspx

mtbr member
    Ah i can see why you want a carbon look then!

The EC70 is a bit heavier due to the clamping design. The EC90 is completely carbon aside from the bolts.

LCW
    mtbr member
    the Easton carbon posts getting terrible reviews in the MTBR reviews section...

is the "new" EC90 much better and rectifies people dislike about it? does it fail as much as mentioned?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a Easton EC90 27.2x400mm in my Cannondale Scalpel, I weight 160lb and mine Cracked like three weeks ago right in the middle........In my Hardtail Im using a Syntace P6 (sponsorship deal) and Its a great seatpost. really strong, Im supper happy with the Syntace...... I wont buy Easton Again, at least for now...

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've had a 30.9 EC90 for about a year. One of the best purchases I have made. I was running it on a S-works m2 hardtail: a very stiff frame. The increase in comfort due to the seatpost was amazing (moved from a syncros aluminum). You could see the post moving back and forth significantly, and certainly feel it. It was not a subtle difference, drastic increase in comfort.

I don't know how much of a difference it makes on my new frame, a s-works epic, but I suspect even with the rear suspension I am getting some small bump compliance out of it.

mtbr member
    i destroyed the carbon ec90. money down the drain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How did you destroy it? Where did it break? Did you overtighten your seat clamp or something?

mtbr member
    it delaminated - basically bubbled. i had it on my road bike, bought it new about 4 weeks ago and installed it with a torque wrench. bike developed a creak a week or so ago and everything i tried was to no avail. tonight i went to re-lube everything including the seatpost - and noticed that the around where it clamped the the outer layer of carbon was uneven. i knew my seatpost bolt wasnt over tightened and i pushed on the nose of my saddle and the whole outer layer of carbon tore... total failure, clearly a defective product. was not pleased.

i also have a fsa k-force carbon seatpost and it weighs more but is obviously a more substantial seatpost.

i just dont think the ec90 is substantial enough for mountain duty - some carbon is but not the ec90.

mtbr member
    A torque wrench?

I've been using the EC90 at full length, 400mm, with a 73° seat angle frame for about 2 years now without a single problem.
    As long as the seat tube has tight tolerances and the post isn't clamped too tight there isn't much that could crack this post.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical_53
    A torque wrench?

My same thoughts - again we have a failure when guys use torque wrenches....for me over all these years it has been pretty much evident that guys using torque wrenches usually have no idea/feel/experience and therefore often overtorque!!

For me a clear case of overthightening. I know those guys using torque wrenches might think it can't be but that's as it is...as simple as that.

BTW: You need about 20% less torque when applying grease to the threads of the bolts....and in general about HALF the torque when you use carbon-paste...

LuizSalles
    I really liked the idea, someone can tell me where to buy the KCNC clamping parts ?

I bought one EC90 to use with a Stumpjumper and the weight reduce is very goog with this KCNC clamps, but i didn´t find anything in the net....

If someone could help me please....

thank´s
    LuizSalles
    São Paulo, São Paulo
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I too would love to know where to purchase a ti bolt kit with barrel nuts for the EC90.
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitakeng
    thanks Tiffster,

i have old EC90 also, but i thought nino did something interesting with the cnt model

i have obsolutely no complaints on its function, but i am gathering parts matching with teh rest of my bike

btw its not finished and will change some parts when they come
    Have you actually riden a frame that was made in the last 5-10 years? Let me guess, you prefer the ride of carbon? Lol

I simply cant imagine putting the kind of money you are talking about into that bike! Bike snobbery aside, you could get a bottom end specialized full suspension bike for less than 2k that will blow that bike out of the water. If you go used you could even stay around 1k.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast