Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: E-bones W

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

E-bones W

beautifull
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by $eboss the frenchy; 01-21-2005 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    lovelyyyyyy
    Attached Images Attached Images

jonny_mac

imo

those are ugly, may be lighter than xtr, but nowhere near as appealing to the eye,
    and i can GUARANTEE that they do not even come close to xtr in shifting.

NRS
    how can you guarantee that? Have you used them?
    "Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
    -Dave Attell

mtbr member
    Amusing... I have already seen this photo here!

http://www.forumfree.net/?t=2746843

---
    http://www.monticone.it

jonny_mac

cuz

nothin else does boy, not even campy! there, there, how bout that. lets not get
    into an insult war here, i just think they are ugly.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Use any 4-bolt rings

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_mac
    those are ugly, may be lighter than xtr, but nowhere near as appealing to the eye,
    Almost 200g ligher than XTR with Extralite chainrings. AND, it's got bigger bearings than both XTR and Race Face.

You can put any standard 4-bolt rings on it, also Shimano, so the shifting comment isn't valid . But seriously, most quality chain rings these days shift well, even under power. Never missed a shift with Race Face, Truvativ or Extralite the last x years.

Ole.

mtbr member
    nothin else does boy, not even campy! there, there, how bout that. lets not get

for me campa is much better, as is sram.

and, you CANT garantee nothing because you never tested it. have you???
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

jonny_mac

carlos

it figures campy is much better for you, but the fact is shimano is smoother
    and lighter shifting, same with sram. i have ridden about 7 different brands of
    chainrings and none come close to shimano. it doesnt take away from the
    fact that those crank arms are ugly, maybe thats why you like them, you
    see something in common

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

does this mean.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Almost 200g ligher than XTR with Extralite chainrings. AND, it's got bigger bearings than both XTR and Race Face.

You can put any standard 4-bolt rings on it, also Shimano, so the shifting comment isn't valid . But seriously, most quality chain rings these days shift well, even under power. Never missed a shift with Race Face, Truvativ or Extralite the last x years.

Ole.
    are they available yet?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by morati
    are they available yet?
    almost a half of pound lighter...hmmm
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Don't care what the others say, I think them are seriously hot cranks. I'd buy 'em if I were made of money...
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

nightriding is fun !
    Difficult to tell from just a few pics. And shifting also has a lot to do with the rings you put on them.
    But judging from the weight of the 'ensemble' I hope the cranks are stiff enough to feel secure when biking. I guess that remains to be seen..
    Last edited by Big Bad Wolf; 01-26-2005 at 12:15 AM.
    Titanium or Bust !

nightriding is fun !
    . lets not get
    You are contradicting yourself in this phrase jonny_mac
    Titanium or Bust !

mtbr member
    May 2004

availability of e-bones w cranks

Quote Originally Posted by $eboss the frenchy
    beautifull
    $eboss do you know where these are available?I've had no luck in months of trying to get through to light-bikes.com here in the states!Makes me think that while light and probably cool I should look at the new FSA or Truvativ ones. Thanks,Thomas

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

not yet......

Quote Originally Posted by thjrollins
    $eboss do you know where these are available?I've had no luck in months of trying to get through to light-bikes.com here in the states!Makes me think that while light and probably cool I should look at the new FSA or Truvativ ones. Thanks,Thomas
    They're not available yet! The 175mm 68BSA will be the first ones produced which should be in another couple of weeks. Other versions to follow. www.extralite.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    Yes the shifting comment is valid dumb_ss, take a look at the XTR spider (4 long thick, STRAIGHT arms), then look at that CNC milled Extralite spider. Now I realize that 99% of you have no technical abilities whatsoever, but which do you think is stiffer?

Bigger bearings does not translate to higher quality. That think looks like a six year old hammered it out in his dad's garage.
    I'm also wondering why the most stressed area (the area closest to the BB) is also the most heavily machined (thinnest).

Maybe FEA programs are different in Italy?
    Last edited by Juan Speeder; 01-26-2005 at 05:24 PM.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Juan,
    99% of the weight weenie self described technophiles have no idea what FEA is...
    Don't go over their heads, all they know is that the product is light, PERIOD!
    Fantastically Elitist Attitude?
    Furious Enigmatic A-hole?
    Farcicle Elementary Assumptions?

Gee Mr. Scary, what exactly is FEA? I'm so confused!

strip it down

It is entertaining.

Mr. Scary aka Johnny Sac.......let's throw Juan in also......you guys are great!....I see why they keep you around...The entertainment value is legitimate I must say...(on a more serious note) I used to send money to a charity that helped place sexually abused children in foster homes, and just generally helped them out.....They invited some of the sponsors to see the facilities and meet some of the kids. Let me tell you - It's uncanny the similiarity in the way these kids acted when compared with the things you guys say in your posts.....Lashing out...angry..just a general deep seated hate that wells up whenever anyone shows an interest in something. One kid had a new "trapper keeper" and another kid called it "ugly", and mentioned that it was stupid etc...Mr..Scary....It's not you fault that your dad held you down on your stomach when you were a kid and spelunked you. It's not your fault he wanted to make home movies........ in the bathroom.. All of you.....it's just not your fault..and we don't hold it against you...But you should look into some help..there are places you can go where people understand your anger...there are people that can help you with your delusional omniscience regarding all things cycling.....You have to be strong though..you have to rise above yourself......it's tough to play nice with the other kids when you spent a good portion of your childhood bent over a bed rail while dad sang sailor songs......but we here in the weight forum believe in you......now all you have to do is believe in yourself.....

Juan,
    99% of the weight weenie self described technophiles have no idea what FEA is...
    Don't go over their heads, all they know is that the product is light, PERIOD!
    There's nothing like having the world under your wheels......

mtbr member

Suggestion

Hey T-Bonerius, there is a reason your name is the way it is...
    You like it in the arse, plain and simple. Why don't you take that E-bone stick it up your arse just as hard as you can and then you can tell that other a-hole what FEA stands for...
    F=Finite
    E=Enema
    A=Analysis
    Some of the stupidity I see on this board just amazes me... How do you guys get by? I mean in life? Your peers actually put up with such dim-witted attempts at understanding basic things, such as breathing (for you two this is a conscious action). Think T-Boner, breath, breath, breath. Keep concentrating Jack-A_s!!!!!
    Unfortunately, Darwinism is still not a popular theory for humankind. Your forefathers would not have survived to this point and I wouldn't have to waste my time responding to you.
    BTW, I am not jonny_mac. Why would I need two sign-ins?, I can tear you apart easily with one.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Dude, for heaven's sake do yourself a favor and take a laxative, you're way too uptight

Cheers!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    ... and then you can tell that other a-hole what FEA stands for...
    F=Finite
    E=Enema
    A=Analysis
    Thanks for setting me straight on that one. Two out of three ain't bad. And to think...all the AutoCad and Solidworks experience I have and I never knew the E stands for Enema.

...such as breathing (for you two this is a conscious action).
    Again, you're right on the money. I'm afraid to sleep. I pull out a body hard in a sensitive place every 15 minutes to keep awake. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to calculate necessary oxygen uptake based on my heart rate while riding so I can adjust breaths per minute. I'm sure you could do it though...that is if you weren't so smart as to render it useless.

bonkin' clyde

what does it matter?

Yes the shifting comment is valid dumb_ss, take a look at the XTR spider (4 long thick, STRAIGHT arms), then look at that CNC milled Extralite spider. Now I realize that 99% of you have no technical abilities whatsoever, but which do you think is stiffer?

Bigger bearings does not translate to higher quality. That think looks like a six year old hammered it out in his dad's garage.
    SO are you saying that the crank is not stiff merely because it is lighter?

Ok, I understant that if I was 250lbs and could pump 800+ on the legpress and had legs of steel and thought of using these cranks on a FR bike, that would be a BAD idea, but these are XC cranks AND we're talking of such large tolerences for the fornt chainrings, that it is the derailleur that matters and not the rings. Front rings have little or no effect on the rear cogset's ability to keep the chain where it is supposed to be.
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Looking at the pic of the non-drive side, I'm a little curious...no pinch bolts. Does anyone know if it has a tapered spline? If so, how would crank arm removal go assuming the entire BB spindle is hollow? Is that a self-extracting bolt? If it's not tapered...well, we know what eventually happens to non-tapered BB/crank interfaces right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Looking at the pic of the non-drive side, I'm a little curious...no pinch bolts. Does anyone know if it has a tapered spline? If so, how would crank arm removal go assuming the entire BB spindle is hollow? Is that a self-extracting bolt? If it's not tapered...well, we know what eventually happens to non-tapered BB/crank interfaces right?
    at least one interesting question... what does the bb-axle-to-crankarm-interface look like (or better, how exactly does it work)

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    The crank bolt is out of focus in the pic, so it's hard to determine if it's self-extracting or not, BUT, it doesn't appear to be.

I'm ASSUMING that the arm just slides on with tight tolerances like the old octalink crank arms. As much as I love the 950/952 XTR cranks, that's my biggest gripe...they're not tapered and start to knock after a while and eventually strip altogether.

I worked at a bike shop in Providence for a while. All the bike cops there had XT with octalink and each cop must have gone through three or four non-drive crank arms per year. Some of them brought them in every two months with stripped arms. I have no idea how they managed to do it so often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast