mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Durability Vs. Weight

which tire of these 4 would be considered a durable and light weight racing tire for a desert 100k marathon race in Texas: NokianNBX 2.1 Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1 Conti Explorer Protection 2.1 Kenda Blue Groove LiteDTC 2.1 This is for a 71kg/155lb racer on a Litespeed Pisgah.
    Please chime in with your personal experiences.

That's right....
    when you say "desert" do you mean hardpack clay, loose-over? or are you talking about SAND and unstable top cover?

typically hard packed "deserts" can be ridden with the slickest of tires, but if youll be in true sand than i wouldnt recommend any of them...
    BIG volume + sand = youll be alright 2.3" min. on the front

if its clay hardpack then something like the Kenda Karma 2.0 would work nicely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    hard packed with lots of rocks, some sharp, and the dreaded cactus. going off the trail spells danger.

banned
    if your talking about the Terrilingua race your never gonna finish with those choices.

sorry your just gonna have to get some heavier duty tires because of all the sidewall cutting rocks and cactus thorns those paper thin casing tires and next to nothing knobs are going be useless with in a few miles.

and all your time will be spent fixing flats not racing it's a durability over weight issue

read up on tire selection on the tmbra.org racers forum

Recovering couch patato
    Lots of slime in your tubes, or run latex-tubeless!

STS
    mtbr member
    Of those, the one with bigest knobs are the Nobby Nic
    But I would suggest the UST version with latex inside for that kind of race...
    775g the 2,25UST

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    In general, are UST tires inherently more durable than standard tires? If you were to take a particular model of a tire that has a UST and standard version what would the differentiating factors be other than the UST's bead?

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

UST tires also have a little more material on...

the sidewalls which makes them slighty stiffer. Remember, besides the bead, there in basically an inner tube (glued/vulcanized, etc.) in the inner casing. So they are just a little sitffer than a regular tire without a tube. You can ride lower pressure and not have the sidewall collaspe. That's what i don't like about regular tires run tubeless. Sure you can run the pressure slighty higher, but IMO and experience it's not the same.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

I would run the following tires...

I woud suggest the following. I no paticular order:
    1. Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 UST/ Nobby Nic 2.1 UST
    2. Hutchinson Spider 2.3 UST/Spider 2.1 UST
    the UST tires will be more durable and better against flats and rocks.
    Use Latex/Stan's or Slime Tubeless formula. Also make your own with Mold Builder, Slime Tubless and water!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

dirtboy i couldn't agree more!

a true UST tire works better than a stans'd regular tire. you can go with lower
    pressure and not get the squirmy sluggish feel, the only benefit of stans is weight,
    but because it is a little lighter doesnt mean you will be faster. but if pure light
    weight and a show piece to cruise to the yogurt place is what you are after
    then go for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Maybe you should go tell the current world champ, Christoph Sauser to stop using regular tires with sealant

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

last i checked

absalon was world champ using michelin UST tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    absalon was world champ using michelin UST tires.
    He won gold at the olympics in Athens. Difficult to draw conclusions from a single race. Sauser was the overall points leader in the World Cup even having to carry around a FS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

absalon

was world champion, sauser won the world cup overall. they are
    2 different things. the world championships are a 1 day race, the
    world cup is a series

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Cool!!!!!

A WORLD CHAMP riding UST tires !

I wonder how many people will now jump on the UST badwagon. That's ok, I have room on it .

It would be a great marketing tool for Mavic UST rims.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ok Absalon is world champ but the point is, that the World Cup series is much more indicative that any single event. It seems to me that more and more pros wish to ride regular tires with sealant. Michelin is diehard UST so I don't think they would allow Absalon to ride regular tires and frankly, I don't think he cares too much. His legs are massive compared to Sauser's so the extra weight of UST won't really matter for him.

Kabush cleans up in your Norba series. Does he not run regular Maxxis tires (Larsen TT and Flyweight) with sealant?

I'm not saying UST isn't great but it's not necessarily the best for XC racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    He won gold at the olympics in Athens. Difficult to draw conclusions from a single race. Sauser was the overall points leader in the World Cup even having to carry around a FS.
    you can call a olympic race as a "single race" but any racer that was there called it the race of their lifes and i doubt any of those pros would ride anything but the best they can get.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    A WORLD CHAMP riding UST tires !

I wonder how many people will now jump on the UST badwagon. That's ok, I have room on it .

It would be a great marketing tool for Mavic UST rims.
    remember: hes not only a world champion, hes two times world champion, olympic champion, 2003 world cup champion, euro champion and some world cup races as well riding his heavy ust tires and flexy mavic wheels, flexy sid.... thats funny
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    you can call a olympic race as a "single race" but any racer that was there called it the race of their lifes and i doubt any of those pros would ride anything but the best they can get.
    "Best they can get" is somewhat vague. Reliability is of the utmost importance for a "race of their life" and it seems Sauser was plagued with poor reliability.

Here's a quote from Sauser:

The race itself is really quickly explained:
    A few meters after the start I was behind in a crash and lost a lot of places and time. With almost reaching the leaders'group in lap 3 of 7 I
    broke my chain.
    One of the most frustrating moments in my mtb-bike carrier!

Single events are like a lottery. There are no guarantees and every racer knows that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeplazma
    In general, are UST tires inherently more durable than standard tires? If you were to take a particular model of a tire that has a UST and standard version what would the differentiating factors be other than the UST's bead?
    I'm not the tire guru but to me tubeless definitely has a durability advantage. When I run a regular tire w/stans the sidewall seems to go within a few hours ride time. The thickness just isn't there on the sidewalls....I think the UST is far superior in this area. Yeah they are heavier but I'm pretty much turning into a convert. It sucks they cost more because when you run tires at lower pressures (which is a huge advantage) they seem to lose their tread very quickly.

If I were going to ride 100k in rock infested territory I'd make damn sure I'd run tubeless tires w/some sort of slime and bring a couple of tubes with a good pump. Just my thoughts! Good luck. Race fast.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    remember: hes not only a world champion, hes two times world champion, olympic champion, 2003 world cup champion, euro champion and some world cup races as well riding his heavy ust tires and flexy mavic wheels, flexy sid.... thats funny
    ....SEALANT and V-brakes as well!

there is almost NO rider not using latex even in UST tires. it's a fact (and all industry insiders know it) that UST is a flawed system and the only thing missing from making it perfect are lighter tires and sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    ....SEALANT and V-brakes as well!

there is almost NO rider not using latex even in UST tires. it's a fact (and all industry insiders know it) that UST is a flawed system and the only thing missing from making it perfect are lighter tires and sealant
    i didnt put vbrake on the list because absalon rides disc brakes too depend on the conditions of the course.. and as long as UST is a "flawed" design as you said its still better than eclipse or stans system (complete system not only latex) since i can at least change tires before its worm, deal with latex and dont have that strange feel while riding lower pressures.
    Last edited by carlos; 02-03-2006 at 01:24 PM.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Members who have read this thread: 0