Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dt Swiss X1800

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Dt Swiss X1800

Hi guys! I just bought a new pair of DT SWISS X1800 wheelset then realized that they're not that light at all. That's what I get for not doing my research first. Can anyone help me or has any suggestions on how I can lighten these X1800? Without me having to sell these brand new wheelset at a lost. I weight around 185lbs. and ride pretty aggressive xc. Thanks for all your help!

ups and downs
    Wheels only have hubs, rims, spokes and nipples. The X1800 has heavy hubs, rims, spokes and nipples. Not many options but starting over.

For about $90 more you could have had the Deore XT wheels at 1677gms.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    For about $90 more you could have had the Deore XT wheels at 1677gms.
    I really wanted to play this game, but when I saw that the DT wheelset was $127 on CRC I realized I'm out of my league. That, and the hell do I know about aggressive XC

You win this round, rocky.

I say take those wheels and go party. If I were building wheels to stomp upon, I don't think I would get it too light either.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisgarages
    Hi guys! I just bought a new pair of DT SWISS X1800 wheelset then realized that they're not that light at all...

What did you think the "1800" meant? DT's wheels and hubs have the approximate weight right in the name. Anyway, they are a strong and quality trail wheelset. Either sell them or run them for trail use. "Aggressive XC" implies hard use, so there's no reason to be running ultralight wheels anyway.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member

X1800

Hello again guys! I'm determined to lose even just 200g-250g from my DT SWISS X1800 wheelset without having to sell these never been used wheelset at a lost. Can anyone advise any good 28h lightweight hubs for these wheelset that won't cost more than a brand new set of wheels? I could spend a bit more if its really worth it. Thank you very much again for all your help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisgarages
    Hello again guys! I'm determined to lose even just 200g-250g from my DT SWISS X1800 wheelset without having to sell these never been used wheelset at a lost. Can anyone advise any good 28h lightweight hubs for these wheelset that won't cost more than a brand new set of wheels? I could spend a bit more if its really worth it. Thank you very much again for all your help!
    It is cheaper to buy a new wheelset and keep X1800 as a beater.

That is unless you are trolling us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy

That is unless you are trolling us.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I don't get it...

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Sell the wheelset and buy yourself a new one. You CAN'T make the wheelset lighter.

mtbr member
    morris-

just as on weightweenies. everyone is essentially suggesting the same outcome. Buy a new wheelset used perhaps and sell yours to be weight-wise where you want with little out of pocket.
    3po armorless, the first weight weenie.

banned
    1800 gms is light for me.

banned

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'm in agreement there.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    For your bikes, it would be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Wheels vs aggressive riding

I'd say don't go any lighter wheels for XC aggressive riding! You better keep those wheels and ride them. You definitely can save some weight on tires which gives you great result.
    When I read some results some guys are interested more on look and weight than on durability of the wheelset.
    Anyway, no matter what bike and componenets you ride, it is about your legs! Than you can beat guys with high end bikes and parts!

I can't weld
    Run these wheels tubeless with some nice light tires (Schwalbe seem popular) and you'll reduce the rotational mass and still have a bulletproof wheelset. You'll spend more time riding and less time fixing broken and loose spokes.

mtbr member
    You may thinking of changing the spoke to DT Revolution, this should drop the weight by 100g to 180g

mtbr member
    If I were you Id keep the 1800 wheelset and start afresh on something else as a 'quick' set of wheels

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You messed up, just bite the bullet and
    get a new set. Next time do your homework.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I posted this thread 9 months ago. I have since sold my x1800 and got a set of Mavic SLRs and am now pretty happy about it. Still dreaming of a set of DT Swiss carbons though. Don't like ztr because of their rider weight limit. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have 2 sets of SLRs and they are great wheels. You
    will not be disappointed with them.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Im guessing vencacampa is a troll, something has happened to his account too, I highly doubt he has posted some 4.3 billion posts
    Custom "Carbon fetish" Ibis Mojo SL - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=555199 - 10.2Kg and dropping

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I keep a light set for racing and run a heavy set of wheels for training. I had some Shimano LX and am about to buy some DT Swiss 1800s because I've worn out the hub bearings and the rims are starting to crack around the spoke eyelets.
    If I ride lightweight wheels everywhere they will wear out and I need to replace them. I go through a rear wheel every 2 years or so, so cost needs to be considered.
    I find doing hill training with heavy wheels makes me stronger and faster, and I can train more aggressively and tackle the technical sections faster with stronger wheels.

Does anyone know if the 2009 X1800s are UST or tubeless 'out of the box'?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_au
    Does anyone know if the 2009 X1800s are UST or tubeless 'out of the box'?
    Nope, not UST, the X1800 rims are only sleeve jointed not welded so that's not airtight construction.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Whee...ls/X-1800.aspx

Tricon XM1550 are tubeless out of the box
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I have a set of X1800s set up tubeless with a Stan's valve and Gorilla Tape. I don't know if its the rims or the Geax tires, but I needed 3 layers of tape to get a good seal. It sealed with 2 layers, but took too much work, so I upped it to 3 layers and it sealed fast. If I had had a set of Stan's "Standard" rim strips I would have just used those as I remember them being pretty thick.

I think my set of X1800s are a bit lighter than the standard X1800 as they came with a 12mm rear axle that requires the 240 internals including the aluminum cassette body.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast