Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Don't buy a 2007 Fox F80RLC if you are a WW.

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Hi|ikus 
#1 ·
Just got one today, beautiful fork and packaging - the best I've seen in 15 years. But, my recent Manitou R7 Platinum uncut weighed 3 pounds 2.5 ounces - the Fox? 3 pounds 11 ounces! I'd be adding a full 1/2 pound to the front end of my bike.

I didn't like the R7 initially, so I ordered the Fox, but since I've had 2 weeks of riding the R7 since the Fox showed up, I've started to get used to it and like it enough to really, really consider not installing the Fox at all. I don't care if it is the sturdiest, nicest fork I've seen, to have lightweight parts everywhere then slap 1/2 pound on seems dumb.

Just a heads up - 3.43 pounds as they claim is kind of a pipe dream.

Does anyone have a 2006 F80 fork? Those say 3.2X pounds on the Fox site. Are they really that much lighter? I might be able to get a 2006 still.

#3 ·
Well, it'll be far stiffer than that manipoo fork due to far better overlap, bigger stanchions, more surface area contact with the crown, and so on. Fox doesn't compramise on dampers or structures like manitou and RS are known to, for "weight saving" reasons. They come out with a pretty solid chassi.

RS has this fork called the SID. You should consider it.

#4 ·
I've had a SID, didn't like it. No matter how much I pumped it up it felt mushy. I just couldn't adjust it right. I'm obviously not that much into the weight thing, the R7 is not the lightest, but 1/2 pound is quite a bit of weight. What does 1452 equal in pounds and ounces?

#5 ·
It's better to report weights using the metric system (grams for bike parts) since that is what most people can relate to.:)

A couple of people on WW have reported the weights of their '07 Fox forks and they seem to have lost some weight.

'07 Fox F80X (uncut 265 mm steerer, disc-only) = 1436 g

'07 Fox F80 RLC (210 mm steerer) = 1452 g

#6 ·
I know grams are better, but my digital scale didn't show up yet (I just bought one), and I'm using an "analog" scale that only does pounds/ounces. I have the V-brake version, which would add I would think, 2 ounces maybe to a fork without the bosses? The brake posts look steel, and there is some extra material there to support them.

After reading about the '07 forks on the Fox site, which when I bought the fork, wasn't up yet, it is a very sophisticated fork, lots of adjustments, and just gives me a warm fuzzy. The R7 by contrast has nothing but air spring pressure, and SPV pressure. Tough call on this one - if I cut the steerer and install the Fox, then the resale value will go down quite a bit versus new. One fork is being sold, the R7 is already installed, but like new as I've only ridden it a week or two now, maybe 5 times total.

What to do...

#7 ·
1450gm - about 3.2lbs

My 05 Fox F80x disc only came in at 1590gms (3.5lbs) with a cut steerer tube, I can't remember what length and was a little heavier than expected.

If the 07 forks are coming out around 1450gms thats a pretty good saving, but I'd like to see it myself before I'd commit the money to one :)

#8 ·
with the cut steer tube, it's 3 pounds, 10 ounces...that's over 3.5 pounds. Where Fox get 3.43, I don't know, like I said, unless the V-brake versions automatically weight more, which makes sense.

I decided to mount the fork and try it, what the heck. It looks so "thick" on my steel framed bike, kind of out of place really. For the record, my R7 Platinum weighted 3 pounds, 3 ounces with cut steerer, lower HS race on, and star nut in...so I was right, about a full 1/2 pound weight penalty for the Fox.

#10 ·
First ride...the Fox makes my bike handle better. The R7 is a full 3/4" taller from crown race to axle center. I even called Manitou asking if maybe I got a 100mm by mistake (versus my 2001 Mars Super). Even with sag, the front end of my bike felt kicked up, it made sharp turns "notchier" if you will. Put the Fox on, and it handles like it used to. Stiffness? without a doubt the stiffest front end I've ridden. I do like the lockout more than my old Mars - it still moves if you hit something, and you can even adjust that threshold separately. Overall, it's going to be tough to put the R7 back on - for handling issues alone. That, and I never dug the reverse arch on the Manitous...it makes the v-brakes look goofy sticking out by themselves...

So, 8 ounce penalty, but better handling. Maybe I'll buy those carbon bottle cages and lighter seat after all to gain back 6-7 ounces, then mentally (and let's face it, that's what this is all about!) I won't feel like I'm noticing the weight.

Very nice so far. I still have to learn the adjustments and what they do, there are 4 now, versus 3 on the R7 (well, 1 really on the R7, because the other 2 require a pump, therefore I can't tweak things like the Fox while riding).

#11 ·
bandito greg said:
Its stange that yours is so heavy...i have the same fork, mine weighs in at 1452 with the steerer tube cut to 8 1/4 inches...perhaps you got a lemon...
Maybe your doesn't have any oil in it ! No on a serious note the difference in the amount of oil
from hte factory does vary the weight.

#13 ·
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's junk, it is pretty plush, and feels like much more than 80mm, but the SPV valve thing just doesn't do it for me. I even tried to get a non-SPV, but they were out of stock for 2006.

#14 ·
Some manufacturers don't list pivotal components of the final product, such as fork oil, the fork's steerer (Zokes used to not list them in their target weight, don't know if they still do), nipple adapters (Mavic 819s), pedal cleats, shim adapters (Titec's 118 ti h-bar), and so on. I'd allow for a 5-10% variance on the production models actual weight when compared to the pre-production's "target weight". I'm sure all manufacturers' QC does as well.

I am waiting for the day when some ingenious product managers will weigh their products in a vacuum (air weighs a little) or calculate a product's weight at the highest point on earth, or both.
:D
:eek:

#15 ·
Sounds like you're likin the Fox

I found my F80x to be pretty stiff and it performed very well, on the odd occasion the Terra-logic got caught out.

I recently rebuilt my fork, new Enduro seals and new slightly lighter Redline fluid. I've not put it back on yet, I'm enjoying my rigid steel fork too much, but your post is making me think of mounting it up again and giving it another go.

#18 ·
mine, cut with starnut and King headset crown race, was exactly 3 pounds, 10 ounces. Exactly. I did not take a picture of it, and don't want to take the fork off.

My 07 R7 Platinum was 8 full ounces lighter - a real 1/2 pound.

But I've grown to love the Fox, it is sturdy and smooth.

#19 ·
curtlo-dork said:
mine, cut with starnut and King headset crown race, was exactly 3 pounds, 10 ounces. Exactly. I did not take a picture of it, and don't want to take the fork off.

My 07 R7 Platinum was 8 full ounces lighter - a real 1/2 pound.

But I've grown to love the Fox, it is sturdy and smooth.
Nice :thumbsup:
The conversion to gram will be: 3lb+10oz= 1644g with headset and starnut. Putting this numbers I'll be loosing about 100g off my front, compared to my current suspension, and still improving riding and bike handling. I'll search no further :)
My marzocchi is blown out. pour MXC ECC.. 1670 g cut steer tube, starnut and lowering kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.