Old School Member

Done! Photo's, spec's and weight- my Klein Attitude Race comes to life

Well its done. And now I know why nobody uses internal cable routing anymore- what a Pain in the _ss. Looks real sleek when done, but it's not fun to do it, especially the first time. Here are the first set of photos. Frame is a used 2001 Klein Attitude Race frame- last of the "real" Washington-built Kleins. Note two new not-especially light parts were chosen because of my weight (180 pounds) and grinder pedal style- the 2004 Shimano XT crank/bb combo (didn't want to worry about ISIS issues in the Virginia red clay) and the Manitou Black Super SPV 80mm (because flexy forks stink, and SPV was interesting).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old School Member
    Wheels are 2004 American Classic Mountain 350 non-disc wheels, built 28 hole front, 32 hole rear with Sapim CX-ray spokes, w/o tape and skewers 1310 grams. That's light for such a solid wheelset.

Cassette and front derailler also 2004 XT. Chain is SRAM PC-89R with the hollow pins. SRAM X.0 shifters and rear derailler. Nokian NBX Lite 2.0 tires, Specialized Turbo Ultralight tubes. MaxM 31.6 carbon post. MaxM carbon flat bar. Spiffy Syntace F99 Stem, 120 mm (thanks Dirtboy!). More photos:

Old School Member
    Pedals are stainless eggbeaters (used), saddle is a Ti railled Alliante (used), brakes are Avid Mags (used), brake levers are Avid Mags (used) all nice Ebay scores.

Final weight on LBS hanging scale 21.4 pounds as pictured. Not bad for a 20" frame running that fork.

Last photo's:

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Interesting color, good job.

Love the Attitude.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Very nice! What was the final cost if you dont mind me asking? I have finally started my Attitude project. Well, if you call buying a headset starting that is... But now I am looking for a fork. I was looking at the Black or Skareb spv (80mm as well). Know of any good deals on the blacks? I cant believe I missed the skareb spv at jenson for $219! What a great deal that was. Man, if only I bought the mega air when I had the chance... Make sure to have a follow up post on how the bike handles. Have fun with that thing.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

American Classic

Sweet build. If SRAM ever comes out with a rapid-rise type r derailleur, I just may convert...

How do you like your AM wheelset? Do you notice much flex? How about the hub performance?

Thanks

Trail rider and racer
    Totally cool build and that frame color is very nice too.

I know what you mean about internal cable routing. Ellsworth use it on their frames, and it is a total PITA to get right. Last time I installed cables it took 2 days or varying efforts to get the cables through. Fun eh?

Cheers
    Trevor!
    Trev!

mtbr member

Looks nice...

Looks like a nice selection of parts there- Nothing crazy light but a good solid build.

Love the color too
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Nice job!!!

Very nice specs and good choices.
    The internal cable routing is not bad at all if you have the tubing to help. Any KLEIN dealer has these laying around and willusally give them away or trade for some beer or Starbucks around here .

Mine came with my frame when it was purchased new and already slotted, which made it very easy.

Enjoy your new KLEIN.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Just passing through....

Very Nice.....

Good job, nice looking as well. Internal cable routing may be a pain, but it makes sense.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

sweet ride!

it would look better with a black saddle imo.

Old School Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Very nice! What was the final cost if you dont mind me asking? I have finally started my Attitude project. Well, if you call buying a headset starting that is... But now I am looking for a fork. I was looking at the Black or Skareb spv (80mm as well). Know of any good deals on the blacks? I cant believe I missed the skareb spv at jenson for $219! What a great deal that was. Man, if only I bought the mega air when I had the chance... Make sure to have a follow up post on how the bike handles. Have fun with that thing.
    Thanks- I haven't tallied the final cost- but I would guess around $1700 when all was tallied up. The Ebay and Classifieds helped keep the costs down, but the crank/bb, wheels and fork were new items which pushed it back up.

There are more clearance deals popping up on 04 Manitous as the 05 starts coming in. But the SPV is hard to find deals on.

I will post a first ride review below. Thanks!

Coolhand

Old School Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    Sweet build. If SRAM ever comes out with a rapid-rise type r derailleur, I just may convert...

How do you like your AM wheelset? Do you notice much flex? How about the hub performance?

Thanks
    Really like the Am classic wheels- as they are 32 hole rear and 28 hole front, combined with the Sapim CX-Ray spokes, they are a pretty stiff wheel. I did not get and pad rubbing on out of the saddle efforts. Having a nice stiff fork up front helps too. At 180 pounds and coming off the road racing season I can produce a decent amount of power- so anything that can flex will for me. That's why I used the Black and the XT crank/bb.

The hubs are really smooth. I have used their 04 road stuff, so that is not a surprise. I think the 04 American Classic stuff really works well. Can't wait so see what goodies they have for 05. Since Shook came back, they have been on a roll IMHO.

Coolhand

Old School Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    Very nice specs and good choices.
    The internal cable routing is not bad at all if you have the tubing to help. Any KLEIN dealer has these laying around and willusally give them away or trade for some beer or Starbucks around here .

Mine came with my frame when it was purchased new and already slotted, which made it very easy.

Enjoy your new KLEIN.
    It was a Ebay deal, so no tubing sadly enough. But it was pretty cheap and used so I can't complain. Sadly, our local Klein dealer is a clown- I doubt he could find his butt with both hands and a map.

What we did was go to a Lowes hardware store and score some 19 guage spooled steel wire in this nifty dispensor, which only cost $1.30. Using this thin stiff wire it was alot easier thread through one hole and hit the other hole as the wire was straight and stiff enough not to bend or flex too much. Once we ran it through, we attached the cable to the thin wire (carefully!) and pulled it through. Two experienced wrenchs did the threading, while I supplied the Starbucks Frappichino's.

Thanks for the help with the stem- its pretty spiffy. My F99 120 mm stem with the stock bolts weighed 110 grams w/o the top cap. Impressive. And it's not flexy, which is surprising seeing how light it is.

mtbr member
    Did'nt you try the thread + vacuum cleaner approach ?

120 pounds of xc sex!

sweet ride!

i like the rig, but quick question, is 01 the last year real kleins, before trek took over?

thanks
    >Ankur
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Old School Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    i like the rig, but quick question, is 01 the last year real kleins, before trek took over?

thanks
    >Ankur
    No I think it is the last year that the Klein's were built in Klein's Washington state facility. After that they were just cranked out next to all the other Al framed Treks, Fishers ect.

I think Trek may have owned Klein at this point, but Klein still was running his own Washington state factory. He still was forced to use a bunch of Trek house parts, but the frame was all Klein.

The bike rides pretty nice, although the rear facing dropout mean you really need to crank the rear QR down super tight.

One of the Klein experts can probably update us with the full scoop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Pretty!

Very pretty bike! Great weight for the size!!!
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Really like the Am classic wheels- ... The hubs are really smooth. I have used their 04 road stuff, so that is not a surprise. I think the 04 American Classic stuff really works well. Can't wait so see what goodies they have for 05. Since Shook came back, they have been on a roll IMHO.

Coolhand
    I had some 03 AC 420 road wheels but my 04 AC hubs (supposedly even lighter, and better sealed than the previous batch... Shook is always updating) were way sweet. Odds and endos built them up for $310 delivered, and they were something like 1403 grams and strong.

I'm still kind of hesitant on their mtb hubs, though.

Members who have read this thread: 1