mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dominator 4 the lightest competition shoe?

IN terms of mtb shoes with stiff soles, is the D4 the lightest offering on the market (without going to some crazy custom shoe)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i think there are lighter Sidi models than the dominator 4 ...those might be the heaviest ones actually but here are some weights i got the other day by weighing 3 different pairs of Sidis, all size 47 ...The Eagle is basically a Dominator Mesh for you U.S. people and it should be lighter due to having more mesh and less Lorica ...also better ventilation which is more important.

Sidi Bullet 47 (new model with the competition sole) 800g
    Sidi Eagle 47 807g
    Sidi Eagle 47 (from another store) 817g

The insoles in the Bullets were only 16g compared to the slightly beefier insoles of the Eagles which were 21g and 22g for both pairs respectively. Since I don't use insoles that that minimized the Bullets advantage of 7g down to 2g so for me it was a no brainer.

The Eagles breath much better because of the Lorica and I only have to carry around 2g extra ...they also look pretty sharp

I should note the Eagle have a bit beefier tread than the new Bullets and the sole on the Bullets seemed to be stiffer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    i think there are lighter Sidi models than the dominator 4 ...those might be the heaviest ones actually but here are some weights i got the other day by weighing 3 different pairs of Sidis, all size 47 ...The Eagle is basically a Dominator Mesh for you U.S. people and it should be lighter due to having more mesh and less Lorica ...also better ventilation which is more important.

Sidi Bullet 47 (new model with the competition sole) 800g
    Sidi Eagle 47 807g
    Sidi Eagle 47 (from another store) 817g

The insoles in the Bullets were only 16g compared to the slightly beefier insoles of the Eagles which were 21g and 22g for both pairs respectively. Since I don't use insoles that that minimized the Bullets advantage of 7g down to 2g so for me it was a no brainer.

The Eagles breath much better because of the Lorica and I only have to carry around 2g extra ...they also look pretty sharp

I should note the Eagle have a bit beefier tread than the new Bullets and the sole on the Bullets seemed to be stiffer
    Hmmm, so for a 3 velcro shoe, the Bullet (or the Rocket... since I can't find Bullets on the Sidi site = replacement model?) could be the ticket! I'm a bit of a cheapa$$ so having a pair for backup, or even the main shoe, could be a nice choice. Thanks.
    Last edited by danK; 09-06-2004 at 04:39 PM.

simply me
    I found Nike Carenrso's to be really comfortable. They are light and have a stiff carbon sole. Originally they were something like $240 but can now be found on sale for half of that.

Added bonus they come with toe spikes and a carry bag.

Size 45 in image.
    Attached Images Attached Images