Evil Genius

Do you trust off-brands for critical parts?

Was thinking about going from my flat aluminum handlebars (trek system 3 230 grams) to a carbon fiber riser, mostly for the shock dampening. Was thinking about the Easton, can get one for 70 plus 8 bucks at beyond bikes. I saw an add for a CF bar from weyless at supergo. Almost the same weight, but for 30 bucks. I can't think of a part, that if it broke during a critical time, would be more disastarous. I mean, eating my headset was not on the menu. On the other hand, these could be just as good, or made by the same people. Any of you guys trust this part? Would you ride it? I was looking for an XC bar, I ride somewhat aggresive, and not to many drops over 2 feet. I'm 6'3 and about 210. Sugestions?

Dan
    I'm as bad as the Worst. But, thank God, I'm also as good as the Best.

chips & bier

Do you trust brand-name parts?

Not to be silly, but I've seen more failures of big-name stuff than 'white products' (what ya call 'em here in Europe). A lot of stuff still comes out of the same factory anyway. I think your safest bet would be looking at reviews and gathering opinions (as you're doing now, I guess), to have a good indication.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I would buy them, but watch for recalls. I seem to remember they recalled some road bars this year.
    Herro prease

jonny_mac

i wont buy

any of that cheap chinese cf, it must be made in europe or the usa.

Evil Genius

Well...

Who makes CF in the Europe or the USA? Like I said, I don't want to donate my teeth to my headset. FSA? I'm looking for 660 mm with a 3/4 inch rise, maybe 1" at the most. I tend to like a wide bar. How wide is 660mm, 26" right? and 600mm is 24". I'd like to keep it under 80 bucks, but would rather have the piece of mind.

Dan

Upgrade-itis
    Nov 2004

trusting CF at that weight...

Quote Originally Posted by Bike-o-saurus
    I'm 6'3 and about 210. Sugestions?

Dan
    Never mind the brand, you sure you want to trust carbon at that weight? If you are worried about failure at all, I don't think CF is a great idea for a clyde, anyone else feel that way? Maybe I'm just too paranoid...

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Who makes CF in the Europe or the USA? Like I said, I don't want to donate my teeth to my headset. FSA? I'm looking for 660 mm with a 3/4 inch rise, maybe 1" at the most. I tend to like a wide bar. How wide is 660mm, 26" right? and 600mm is 24". I'd like to keep it under 80 bucks, but would rather have the piece of mind.

Dan
    FSA is made in Tiawan. I would also ride the weyless stuff.

mtbr member

EASTON monkeylite $60

jbf
    mtbr member

I just bought one ...

I just received my Weyless carbon riser last week. It is a full 670mm long and weighed in at only 166 grams. I am frankly amazed at how nice a part this is. I guess looks don't count if it breaks, but this is a very well finished part. I would say it is a bargain at the $30 blowout price.

I hear as many stories about broken name-brand bars as the no-name parts. Same goes for carbon vs. aluminum. The sweep is listed as being the same as Eastons, but the bend is definitely different than my old CT2 monkylites. I have not ridden it yet, so no ride report.

The Weyless M-8 stem at $14 is also an amazing deal if they still have your size. The listed weight was spot on when I weighed mine on receipt.

Evil Genius

Cool...

Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    I will check it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    Supergo's stuff comes out of Taiwan, and they did have some recalls this year on their Weyless stuff.
    Easton makes their carbon products in Mexico in their own factory.
    Take your pick...
    I'd take the supergo stuff given Easton's history of bars and seatposts breaking. Read the review section and do a search. The most reliable seems to be Maxim.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Since yer on the same sort of thing with

your Trek bars, why worry? Personally I wouldn't want carbon bars, I do crash now and then and the risk with the bars or seatposts aren't worth the minimal weight savings....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

how can you make sure where the parts were made?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_mac
    any of that cheap chinese cf, it must be made in europe or the usa.
    Actually you will have very limited choice if you know where those cf parts were made. Just a small example, Easton can't be your choice you know, they don't make any cf parts in the US or Europe. All Easton CF parts are made in Mexico and China.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

not really...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    Supergo's stuff comes out of Taiwan, and they did have some recalls this year on their Weyless stuff.
    Easton makes their carbon products in Mexico in their own factory.
    Take your pick...
    If you're talking about Easton's top of line products, then you're right. Easton only makes their top of line CF parts in their Mexico factory. (such as ec90 series and other top models) All other CF parts are outsourcing, they were made in Taiwan before, now in China.

ballbuster

I got one...

... of those house branded Performance bike flat carbon bars, and so far, no issues. I did overtighten it once, and it shows a bit of wear around the clamp area, so I'm keeping an eye on it. Just install it with a torque wrench and you'll be okay. My Sette Edge stem recommends 9ft/lbs at each of the four bolts, which is pretty dang low.

BTW, I'm 195# and ride XC on a bike with an 80mm fork, which is pretty stiff. I've got it clamped to my bike with a Weyless stem at the moment, but used a Titec DH 4 bolt stem and a Price Point Sette Edge stem (trying to find the perfect bar position).

The nice thing is that they put an alu core in the clamp area so it resists crushing pretty well, as I've found the hard way.

I would buy another. Go for it.

mtbr member
    Was thinking about going from my flat aluminum handlebars (trek system 3 230 grams) to a carbon fiber riser, mostly for the shock dampening. Was thinking about the Easton, can get one for 70 plus 8 bucks at beyond bikes. I saw an add for a CF bar from weyless at supergo. Almost the same weight, but for 30 bucks. I can't think of a part, that if it broke during a critical time, would be more disastarous. I mean, eating my headset was not on the menu. On the other hand, these could be just as good, or made by the same people. Any of you guys trust this part? Would you ride it? I was looking for an XC bar, I ride somewhat aggresive, and not to many drops over 2 feet. I'm 6'3 and about 210. Sugestions?

Dan
    I just received my Weyless carbon riser bar. For the price it looks pretty good. Weighed in on my scale at 165g. Not too shabby for the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I have the weyless CF bar and M-8 stem combo

For 30$ for the bar and 14$ for the stem, I figure that I would give it a try. I am definately not brand loyal. As mentioned before, many parts are produced for the same factory and just recieve their respective company stamps after fabrication.

Anyway, so far so good with the bar/stem. Before installing the bar, I made sure to sand the sharp corners off of the levers and shifters, to prevent scoring in the event of a crash. I properly torqued the bar, I think 28 in-lbs I crashed last weekend, checked the bars and there was no damage. I do mostly aggressive XC riding, but with no more than 2' drops, weigh in at 170.

Overall, I would definately purchase Weyless products again.

just my .02...

Erich

cannondale rider

just got mine today

i just recieved my weyless cf riser bar today. its going on my new prophet 600 friday. feels real light and strong, and looks good too. would buy again too

mtbr member

Monkeylite SL for $59.99

The Monkeylite SL is also on sale at Performance:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=14732