mtbr member

New question here. Do grips and star nuts really weigh that much?

Got this photo of Chris Eatough's bike at the 24 Hour Worlds at Whistler BC. He's using cork roadie handlebar tape instead of grips.

He's also left off the headset star-nut and headset cap. I did that once out of neccesity when my star-nut setting tool broke and I wanted to ride the next morning. It's easy, just use a head-set press to set the head-set tension, then tighten the stem and it will hold everything in place. Just forget about doing any trails-side adjustements.

Geez, talk about getting down to the nittiest of gritty!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    actually i found using roadie tape more comfortable than any other grips

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    road tape is very comfortable ...

he has an aluminium steerer so he definitely doesn't need any of that ...the cap, bolt and expander plug only have a purpose when you are adjusting the headset ...after that, they are non-functional.

if the steerer is carbon, I would say it makes more sense to use those things as the carbon steerer seems to deform somewhat. Using some Loctite glue on the stem/steerer interface might solve this problem or minimize it. Something inside the carbon steerer such as the Schmolke carbon plug might be a smart idea to help prevent deformations or damage such as a crushed steerer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    Yeah, you better listen to Eurorider, he is the resident headset expert here...
    LOL
    haha... well, feel free to correct me if what I said is wrong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    haha... well, feel free to correct me if what I said is wrong
    so, from what I have read, I can just unscrew the cap and leave it with just a hole that I can see down to the wheel? grasped only at the stem... I run a fox Rl80 and a bonty racelite stem....

with the bar tape, is that tape sticky that I can just wrap it, and then put some red tape at the end like eatough???

thanks for your help
    ---(cheap, light, strong)---
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moose8500
    so, from what I have read, I can just unscrew the cap and leave it with just a hole that I can see down to the wheel? grasped only at the stem... I run a fox Rl80 and a bonty racelite stem....

with the bar tape, is that tape sticky that I can just wrap it, and then put some red tape at the end like eatough???

thanks for your help
    Bar tape does have some adhesive properties. However, be sure to follow your stem manufacturers torque specs before removing your cap, bolt and star nut. And as Eurorider has mentioned - if your steerer is carbon, use much caution.

There`s a lot of talk as of late about the removal of these items. I`d hate to see someone get seriously injured without taking safety and foresight into account before removing semi necessary items to save 20-40g.

Who are the brain police?

Wow..

Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    Bar tape does have some adhesive properties. However, be sure to follow your stem manufacturers torque specs before removing your cap, bolt and star nut. And as Eurorider has mentioned - if your steerer is carbon, use much caution.

There`s a lot of talk as of late about the removal of these items. I`d hate to see someone get seriously injured without taking safety and foresight into account before removing semi necessary items to save 20-40g.
    Wow. Weight is the last thing I think about so I stay out of this forum.. but I have to ask. Do people that go to this extreme have any extra grams of fat on their body? Seems like it would be safer and more cost effective to lose some body weight before removing bike parts.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    ok, yea, im not gonna take of the cap, but are there any downsides to using the bar tape... why doesnt EVERYONE use it for XC
    ---(cheap, light, strong)---
    pick two...

I choose all 3!!!

mtbr member
    This is a "weight weenie" forum. Every gram matters here.

As for the bar tape... lots of posters use it and find it comfortable. The only downside may be that your hands are to large. The tape is thinner than a conventional grip. Try it - you may find it suitable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Wow. Weight is the last thing I think about so I stay out of this forum.. but I have to ask. Do people that go to this extreme have any extra grams of fat on their body? Seems like it would be safer and more cost effective to lose some body weight before removing bike parts.
    extra "grams" of fat? ...yes, I do

don't forget fat can be metabolized for an additional energy source ....extra weight on your bike however does not give you any energy.

mtbr member
    i started using bar tape about six months ago on a suggestion from this site. i really like it and won't go back to grips. i use the gel tape on both my road and mountain bikes and it saved me about 60 grams from my old grips.
    Bikes are my time machines.

Gravity Rides Everything
    this dude i work with pulled the top cap off his BMX bike. It seemed kinda rediculous so I asked him about it, he was like 'yeah man, that thing was huge and weighed a ton"
    I guess it was like this big chromo bolt looking thing. probably weighed a couple ounces.

but yeah.. on a 24 hour race i'd definitely prefer to keep the cap and star nut I'd say, cause in that long of a race, some quick trailside adjustments are a serious possibility.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    foam grips are lighter.
    lighter than 7g for a pair?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you ever had your stem come loose while riding, do NOT remove the starnut/cap, simple as that. That's to all the 0% fat people on 50lb bikes.

mtbr member
    I like the bar tape idea. I got some ritchey dual compound grips over the summer and the extra bulk makes it harder for me to hold on and my hands get sore. I don't have large hands so the smaller diameter might help. I'm going to try it on my burner frame I'm building over the winter.
    I like to ride bikes.

Who are the brain police?
    Not trying to ruffle feathers. Its just something that came to mind, really.

Good dirt to all.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us