Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trying to find Flow

Disk Brakes - The Weight Weenie's Choice

So I'm finally, after over a decade of being a pro-hardtail partisan, going to abandon my stupid light hardtail for a dual squishy. Unfortunately, the frames I'm looking at are mostly disc only. I suppose I can live with that in spite of the fact I've been anti-disc for my entire life. I'm ready to take the plunge there, but I can give up my weight weenie ways. My bike, with Fox fork and discs needs to come in under 23 lbs.

So what's the current weight weenie gospel on discs. From what I've read on this board over the years, the B4-SL's are no more. Is this true? If so, then what? Oh, btw - the things have got to work well too. This is why I'm going Fox over SID - they're worth the weight penalty.

inner peace to make peace

marta sl

Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    So I'm finally, after over a decade of being a pro-hardtail partisan, going to abandon my stupid light hardtail for a dual squishy. Unfortunately, the frames I'm looking at are mostly disc only. I suppose I can live with that in spite of the fact I've been anti-disc for my entire life. I'm ready to take the plunge there, but I can give up my weight weenie ways. My bike, with Fox fork and discs needs to come in under 23 lbs.

So what's the current weight weenie gospel on discs. From what I've read on this board over the years, the B4-SL's are no more. Is this true? If so, then what? Oh, btw - the things have got to work well too. This is why I'm going Fox over SID - they're worth the weight penalty.
    Ok, tell us, die-hard retro pro-hardtail partisans, what you really think of a fs xc bike, after some serious riding. i have a spare al. hardtail where i may pull all the parts to a new xc fs frame (Kona, Specialized, Giant or Santa Cruz). even if i get a xc fs bike, i'd never part with my steel hardtail (can't just have one mt. bike...what if it's stolen or is in the shop or you have a guest). anyways, i'm also considering getting Kona Coiler fr fs bike and a Boxxer fork later for dhr...like for the 2005 Downieville DH race (i'll race my steel hardtail on the XC race)

magura marta sl are among the the lightest (320 grams per set) that seems to have a sold reputation, even lighter than my hope mini mono (375 advertised, 400 grams for real)
    Last edited by TrailNut; 12-30-2004 at 10:11 AM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

jonny_mac

you aren't

going to get a fs with disc and a fox fork under 23 lbs unless you go
    with some really crazy light and expensive components.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... But you will...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_mac
    going to get a fs with disc and a fox fork under 23 lbs unless you go
    with some really crazy light and expensive components.
    Be much faster and less fatigued, and your brakes will actually work in snow and muck. Also, girls won't think that you are a neanderthal on an ancient rig!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I agree it's going to be hard to get a FS with a Fox shock under 23.

My medium 2002 FSR s-works with Sid is hovering around 23 on multiple scales. with a solid influx of cash I'm hoping to throw off the last 1/4 pound to break the 23 pound mark.

02 FSR S-Works (pushed)
    02 Sid SL
    Sram 9.0sl shift/Der
    XTR F Der
    American Classic Cranks / Ti BB
    American Classic Disc Wheelset
    Magura Martas w/AL Rotors
    Control tech road stem
    Easton EC90 flat bars
    Thompson post, Flight TT saddle
    Egg Beater originals
    Conti Twister Supersonics, Greenlight Tubes

Shane

Neg reppers r my biatches

Sweet spot of weight should be a bit higher IMHO

As Johnny_mac notes, under 23 lbs will be very tough especially since you want a bike that "works".

I recently completed a light XC FS build (2 weeks ago) and like you, I did not want girly-man parts such as the SID for the sake of a few grams. I opted to not go with the Fox and actually returned a F80RLT for the new Marz Marathon Race and am stoked that I did. I like Fox forks ok (have had more than 1) but much prefer Marz, period. This new Marz Race is turning out to be a sweet fork and much more robust than a SID so I am very happy with my choice.

Back to your question.....brakes. I went with Magura Marta SLs and love them (I have ridden many brakes/models). I suppose the only potential downside that I can think of is that if you run gripshift SRAM stuff and have smaller than average hands, lever reach may be frustrating given the size/geometry of the SL carbon lever. I am running SRAM X.0 shifters and do not have a problem at all but figured I would mention this because I can imagine that if my hands were smaller it may not be a good match with the X.0 shifters. They are not even broken in yet and I am really impressed.

In terms of your complete bike, I would suggest that you may want to focus on 24 lbs as the sweet spot target weight since again, you want a bike that will actually work on the trail. Cost is not the issue at all but rather, with a FS rig, under 23 will require at least some girly-manish parts which during my build, were definitely off-limits given my riding style.

For what it is worth, my FS XC bike came in at 23.5 pounds which is awesome in my opinion (perhaps closer to 24 assuming some measurement error at the shop). Regardless, there is no way I could have built a lighter bike that would have worked for me and I spared no expense so again, I do not think cost is really the issue but rather the robustness of parts you want.

The places where I could have saved weight but at the expense of robustness and were simply not an option for my riding style are the fork (could have gone with SID), brakes (could have saved some grams with v-brakes), wheelset (could have gone silly-light and regretted it on the first ride).......other less considerable weight saving could have been with my bar (could have gone flat bar...no way Jose), saddle (no thanks), pedal (could have gone with silly triple Ti stuff....no thanks) and some other minor things.

I would not change a thing and am SO GLAD I went with every single part I did.

Cheers

mtbr member

Good job! Third vote for Martas

I have had Marta SLs in my Specialized Enduro for one season now and I'm really impressed! I previously had Shimano Deore 525s and while they are great brakes for the buck, the Martas are from the another planet. The power and modulation is superior to Shimano brakes - both on dry and wet. I've also tried few Hayes models and liked the Maguras better.
    I also got the regular Martas for my girlfriend's Epic and they work flawlessly as well. I like more of the carbon lever of the SL's because my hands are large and the levers are quite burly. They are not that good for smaller hands, but there's a receipe for that - the regular Marta!

If I couldn't buy Martas/Marta SLs, then my choice would be either Hope Mono Mini, Hayes El Camino or Formulas new Oro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Go Marta SL Patch.........

Anyone weigh the El Camino's yet? Or are they still not out???

- I think you can get to 23 fairly easy, heck my Large XTR Disc/Mav 317 Blur w/ Easton Carbon Bar, Seatpost, WTB Shadow V Ti seat, Marz Marathon SL, Ritchey WCS Stem, King Headset, Oury Grips and Twin Ti Eggs was nearly 24 EVEN with Kenda Karma DTC's with Specialized Turbo tubes........

Get a Scott Strike, XTR Disc kit and build a wheelset with Stans Olympic rims and you should be REAL close.....

Have Fun!!!
    Last edited by DMFT; 12-30-2004 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Addition........

Max
    Velodramatic
    the B4 SL are still available, but i wouldnt recommend them. i used to have the 2001 golden B4s, and later the 2003 B4 Pro. they sucked most of the time: fragile, air got into the system, and once i had a problem with the lever only slowly coming back to its original position. the new Oros on the other hand are great. IMHO they perform as well, if not better, than the martas. great modulation (even on the edge of performance) paired with massive power. i love them

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

The Riddler
    magura marta sl vote here. i have avg. size hands and only had to dial back the lever a little bit to get the levers a little bit more close to the bar, using xo grip shifters. take the time to set them up correctly, get the right tension in the skewers (something that seems very important on these brakes) and youve got an awesome brake thats lightweight and backed by the best people in the biz. awesome.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Go Marta SL Patch.........

Anyone weigh the El Camino's yet? Or are they still not out???

- I think you can get to 23 fairly easy, heck my Large XTR Disc/Mav 317 Blur w/ Easton Carbon Bar, Seatpost, WTB Shadow V Ti seat, Marz Marathon SL, Ritchey WCS Stem, King Headset, Oury Grips and Twin Ti Eggs was nearly 24 EVEN with Kenda Karma DTC's with Specialized Turbo tubes........

Get a Scott Strike, XTR Disc kit and build a wheelset with Stans Olympic rims and you should be REAL close.....

Have Fun!!!
    I vote for martas as well. El Camino's didn't impress me at interbike. They felt like slop(loose levers)

banned
    Apr 2004

How about a Super Light with V's?

I think that will be my next purchase, Speedgoat's got them for 999.00 with a 5TH element or 949.00 with a RP3.

Patch, what's your thoughts on this old design with a new style shock?

Here is what I'm thinking,
    a plushie to ride with my slower freinds,
    and the light HT to keep up with my faster friends and to race.

Anyway I will NEVER get rid of my trusty light hardtail UNLESS I clock myself faster on all my favorite loops with the plushie, which I seriously doubt will happen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

patchito i'm convinced that you could achieve sub 23 lbs...

with an 05 trek fuel 100 110 oclv with xtr discs and conti twister ss tyres.
    i have a 02 fuel 100 front triangle with a 04 rear carbon triangle with lightweight parts weighing in at 23.5 lbs with conti explorer ss tyres, have you looked at some of the fs bikes in light-bikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Define crazy light.

I agree with expensive, but "crazy light" is pretty subjective. In general, lighter riders can safely ride lighter parts. I weigh about 165 lbs and put many miles on a very trail worthy Truth that weighed 22.5 pounds. I didn't have any problems due to the use of light parts except perhaps a BB spindle. Even with a Fox fork, it would have been well under 23. Definitely not cheap, but not necessarily super expensive either if you choose your parts wisely and shop around (sometimes I did, other times I did not). If you're much over 180 lbs., I doubt you'll achieve all of your goals.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H
    I agree with expensive, but "crazy light" is pretty subjective. In general, lighter riders can safely ride lighter parts. I weigh about 165 lbs and put many miles on a very trail worthy Truth that weighed 22.5 pounds. I didn't have any problems due to the use of light parts except perhaps a BB spindle. Even with a Fox fork, it would have been well under 23. Definitely not cheap, but not necessarily super expensive either if you choose your parts wisely and shop around (sometimes I did, other times I did not). If you're much over 180 lbs., I doubt you'll achieve all of your goals.

What are your build parts?

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    I think that will be my next purchase, Speedgoat's got them for 999.00 with a 5TH element or 949.00 with a RP3.

Patch, what's your thoughts on this old design with a new style shock?

Here is what I'm thinking,
    a plushie to ride with my slower freinds,
    and the light HT to keep up with my faster friends and to race.

Anyway I will NEVER get rid of my trusty light hardtail UNLESS I clock myself faster on all my favorite loops with the plushie, which I seriously doubt will happen.

Oh no, unfortunately, I never get rid of bikes. I've now got five with another frame and misc parts in the garage. Thing is, I want to get a dualie to go faster, so it's gotta be able to climb too. I'll keep my stupid light C'Dale for hillclimb competitions and such.

For race oriented xc dualies, I'm currently leaning towards a Kona The King or a Salsa Caballero. The Maverick's in the hunt too, but it's pricier and edging up towards 6 lbs. for the frame. The King gets down below the magic 5 lb. barrier for dualie frame weights. Dream bike is the new Yeti ASR-SL with the carbon stays, but my rule is that my bike can't be worth more than my car. Besides, I feel better about giving the guys over at The Path my dough for a bike. They're great.

I haven't ruled out the Santa Cruz, but it's not one I'm really thinking about either. Like I said, I'm basing my choice heaviliy on the recommendations of Tani at The Path, but also don't the same bike everyone else rides. That's why I prolly won't go with the Intense Spider. Sweet bike, advanced suspension design...light, but everyone I know has 'em, practically.

I didn't know you raced, BN. Doin' Vision Quest?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hope mono mini?

Why nobody would mention Hope Mono Mini?

They are almost $130 cheaper than Martas SL, and it's a good start because you can always invest some more later and drop weight later by replacing original bolts with AL/TI ones.

Trying to find Flow

I can get away with lighter wheels fo sho. I weigh 'bout 150. I actually was hoping I could get a V-brake compatible frame so I could keep my Am Classics/Valiant/Revo wheelset. It hasn't given me any troubles.

Trying to find Flow
    Great advice, people. Thanks.

Good heads up on the Marathon. I'd forgotten about that one. I have a Fox on my singlespeed and love it so far, so I thought I'd stick with it.

I do have smaller sized hands, but the advice on setup for the Martas is duly noted. I also plan to go with XO shifters.

banned
    Apr 2004

Everybody races patch

Oh no, unfortunately, I never get rid of bikes. I've now got five with another frame and misc parts in the garage. Thing is, I want to get a dualie to go faster, so it's gotta be able to climb too. I'll keep my stupid light C'Dale for hillclimb competitions and such.

For race oriented xc dualies, I'm currently leaning towards a Kona The King or a Salsa Caballero. The Maverick's in the hunt too, but it's pricier and edging up towards 6 lbs. for the frame. The King gets down below the magic 5 lb. barrier for dualie frame weights. Dream bike is the new Yeti ASR-SL with the carbon stays, but my rule is that my bike can't be worth more than my car. Besides, I feel better about giving the guys over at The Path my dough for a bike. They're great.

I haven't ruled out the Santa Cruz, but it's not one I'm really thinking about either. Like I said, I'm basing my choice heaviliy on the recommendations of Tani at The Path, but also don't the same bike everyone else rides. That's why I prolly won't go with the Intense Spider. Sweet bike, advanced suspension design...light, but everyone I know has 'em, practically.

I didn't know you raced, BN. Doin' Vision Quest?
    sometimes it's just the riding buds or some other bald middle aged guy from a rival riding faction but it all counts, as far as organized races just beginer stuff but I'm going to race once or twice a year in sport starting 2005 until I die to measure my progress or regress.

Vision quest, no, I have no desire to race that far on a mountain bike.

As far as bikes go, I wonder if a Marzocchi or Fox on the front end of a good steel or Ti hardtail is the only bike I really need.

mtbr member
    for the record, i am on board with the marta sl guys. getting a set myself.

if you really have money to burn, check out stan's aluminum rotors, for $95 a pop, which can be used with magura's stock pads and still shave about half the weight of the rotor (which is rotating weight, another plus). workin off true weights off of weight weenies:

stock wavy rotor: 109 g
    stan's coating rotor: 57 g (happens to be claimed weight as well as 2 actual weights averaged)
    savings of 52 g per rotor, 104 grams total
    at a cost of $190, thats only .54 grams of weight lost per dollar!

again, an expensive upgrade, but if you are truly going all out, then why not

Neg reppers r my biatches
    That is a fair comment. As the poster noted he is only 150lbs your comments are that much more relevant.

In my email I was coming from the perspective that I am 180lbs and generally ride a Bullit and 6" Ventana and as such, am pretty lazy in my riding style compared to most of you I am sure and am much more clumsy. In turn, need more robust parts but I tell you, it sure feels good to finally have a bike where I dont need the granny gear I really thought I was just out of shape (true to some extent I am sure) and am now a real believer that weight does matter.

Cheers

A little of everything
    Some of my friends have problems with air in their Martha brakes and yes they are expensive. I would go for the Hopr mono mini. You could get the 04 version and buy some of the new stans rotors for it, or you could waut for the 05 version, weight 375g front and 372g rear complete out of the box. Tune them with aluminium bolts and they might be around 340g.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    With Stan's rotors and lighter tires, it was 22 lbs. even, but below is the configuration I was most satisfied with. I recently sold the 2001 frame, but I have a 2003 frame that is considerably lighter. It would build to 21.25 lbs minimum and right around 22 even with big play tires and a few other parts I've since purchased. That is my wife's frame right now though and I hope to build a hardtail for racing instead. I replaced my 2001 Truth frame with a Maverick American ML7 that's under 24.5 with some fairly portly parts (Float 130, Thomson stuff, big tires, etc.).

ComponentYearModelWeightNotes
    bar2003Extralite UltraBar105.0g580 mm x 4 degree sweep, no rise, carbon fiber.
    bar ends2003Extralite UltraEnds54.0gBlack.
    bottle cage bolts2001SRP2.0g(2) M5 x 16 mm, alloy.
    bottom bracket2004FRM CU2-BB ISIS Al140.0g73 x 108 mm.
    brake (F)2003Formula B4SL+194.0gLever, line (cut), caliper, bolts (alloy), pads, oil.
    brake (R)2003Formula B4SL+215.0gLever, line (cut), caliper, bolts (alloy), pads, oil.
    brake rotor (F)2003Formula B4SL124.0g160 mm steel rotor, (6) rotor bolts (steel).
    brake rotor (R)2003Formula B4SL98.0g140 mm steel rotor, (6) rotor bolts (steel).
    cassette2002Shimano XTR CS-M950210.0g8 speed (ak = 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30), including lockring.
    chain2003SRAM PC89R Hollow Pin250.0g104 links, including masterlink, lubed.
    chainring (large)2003Specialties TA81.0g5 bolt @ 94mm, 44 teeth, 7075-T6 aluminum.
    chainring (middle)2003Specialties TA41.0g5 bolt @ 94mm, 34 teeth, 7075-T6 aluminum.
    chainring (small)2003Specialties TA20.0g5 bolt @ 58mm, 22 teeth, 7075-T6 aluminum.
    chainring bolts (inner)2002Problem Solvers5.0g(5) 8 mm, alloy.
    chainring bolts (outer)2002Problem Solvers9.0g(5) 8 mm with nuts, alloy.
    chainstay protector2001THE0.0gIncluded in frame.
    computer2003Sigma BC80033.0gComputer (w/battery), sensor (wired), Shimano spoke magnet.
    crank arms2002RaceFace Next LP ISIS401.0g175mm, 5 bolt 94/58 mm (compact).
    crank bolts2002FRM21.0g(2) M12 x 1.0" w/8 mm hex, self-extracting, alloy.
    derailleur (F)2002Shimano Deore XT FD-M751138.0gClamp type (34.9 mm), bottom swing, top pull.
    derailleur (R)2002SRAM X.0207.0gMedium cage, ESP.
    derailleur hanger2001Ellsworth18.0gFor 2001 Truth, including steel bolt.
    fork2002Noleen MegaAir1400.0g100 mm, 182 mm steerer, brake studs removed.
    frame2001Ellsworth Truth2356.0gMedium, anodized black, brake studs removed.
    grips2003Schwinn Stinger ATB53.0gGrips (clear, cut), bar end plugs (generic).
    headset2001Chris King No Thread Set131.0gBearings & cups, top race, crown race, cap & bolt (aluminum).
    hub (F)2003Chris King ISO Disc165.0g32 holes, silver.
    hub (R)2003Chris King ISO Disc306.0g32 holes, silver.
    hub skewer (F)2002Nashbar30.0gBolt-on (steel, black), 135 mm.
    hub skewer (R)2002Nashbar35.0gBolt-on (steel, black), 145 mm.
    miscellaneous

5.0gZip ties, grease.
    pedals2003Crank Brothers Eggbeater S270.0g
    rim (F)2004Stan's ZTR 355368.0g559 x 24 mm, 32 holes, black.
    rim (R)2004Stan's ZTR 355369.0g559 x 24 mm, 32 holes, black.
    saddle2002Selle Italia SLR140.0gTi rails, black leather cover.
    seatpost2002USE Alien Titanium178.0g27.2 mm x 350 mm, titanium post.
    seatpost clamp2003Extralite UltraClamp12.0g31.8 mm, including steel bolt.
    shift cables2002Gore RideOn Ultralight60.0g
    shifters2002SRAM 9.0 Shorty167.0g8 speed, w/Amy grips.
    shock2002Cane Creek Cloud Nine234.0g165 x 38 mm, including valve cap but no spacers.
    shock bolts2001Ellsworth49.0g(2) stainless steel bolts, aluminum spacers.
    spokes (F)2003Sapim CX-Ray139.6g(16) 258 & (16) 260 x 2.3/0.9 mm, stainless steel, black & silver.
    spokes (R)2003Sapim CX-Ray139.6g(16) 258 & (16) 260 x 2.3/0.9 mm, stainless steel, black & silver.
    spoke nipples (F)2003Sapim Polyax11.1g(32) 2.0 x 14 mm, aluminum, black & silver.
    spoke nipples (R)2003Sapim Polyax11.1g(32) 2.0 x 14 mm, aluminum, black & silver.
    star-fangled nut

11.0g
    stem2003Extralite UltraStem UL106.0g120 mm x 4 degrees, stem, bolts (titanium).
    stem spacers2002Performance Forte'4.0g(2) 1 1/8 x 5 mm, carbon fiber.
    tire (F)2003Nokian NBX Lite490.0g559 x 50 mm, 65 tpi, 61 ShA durometer, skinwall, folding.
    tire (R)2003Nokian NBX Lite482.0g559 x 50 mm, 65 tpi, 61 ShA durometer, skinwall, folding.
    tire seal system (F)2003Eclipse A126U125.0gRimstrip, valve, tape, 75 grams sealant, air.
    tire seal system (R)2003Eclipse A126U125.0gRimstrip, valve, tape, 75 grams sealant, air.
    TOTAL10.34kg
    TOTAL22.74lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

B4SL where?

I've been searching for another pair for quite some time. Where are they still available?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast