banned

Disc Rim: Alex XCR Pro Scandium - 315g

I got these nice rims:

Alex XCR Pro Scandium
    eyelets (!!)
    32-hole
    315g

I was able to weigh 20 pcs. and got the lightest samples for myself
    the lightest ones were around 315g, most around 319-321g and one weighed 327g. The finish is just perfect. the weld is hardly visible at all.

outer width: 23,3mm
    inner width: 18,5mm

I will lace them to some no-Name hubs and try them on my winterbike. The hubs are lighter than some DT240 and alltogether the wheelset should be around 1300g. i hoped for 1250g but since the rims came with eyelets they got about 15g per rim heavier. i am glad they have eyelets though as building the wheels is much easier. the next hubset i will lace these rims to will be my old Amclassic hubs which then should closely reach the 1270g mark.we will see...

there's still plenty of stickers all around the rims so a couple of grams could be saved by removing them as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nino; 11-21-2008 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    In what pricerange are these rims? Are they cheaper/more expensive then Notubes?

El Toro
    $200 pair on the bay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    no name hubs....lol

after 2 weeks of ride...

good luck

mtbr member
    Weights seem pretty consistent, and these seem like a good chance to build pretty light wheels without spending a fortune. I'll probably wait to hear reviews but hope to grab some early next year. Glad that they are close to claimed.

Hack Racer
    I thought they do not have eyelets

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rim-Scandiu...742.m153.l1262

Is then there an option when you buy them? To buy with eyelets or without eyelets?

mtbr member
    That Rim profile looks VERY similar to Stans No bead hook design in my opinion. That'll be interresting to see how long those last.

Go faster!
    3mm tall bead hook or what a heck do you call that. it seems very small to hold a tire in place.... wide tires will be a problem on these rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ha will stan's sue them too?... JK.
    A bit wider than stans too... Interested to hear about their strength

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What about a V-brake option?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    A bit wider than stans too...
    not so.

ZTR RACE inside cavity 21.4mm - nino said these are 18.5

width adds a lot of stability to the ride of a tire at low pressure.

El Toro
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigo
    What about a V-brake option?
    this is the profile:

so, removing stickers, do you think could be used for rim brakes?? (the V brake version does NOT exist)

Go faster!
    Its a small rim width, it will not add stability to the tires, compared to wider rims.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by palmix
    this is the profile:

so, removing stickers, do you think could be used for rim brakes?? (the V brake version does NOT exist)

I would say no. V brake rims' brake track is usually machined after welding of the rim to remove any lateral run out. Also I believe V brake rims require stronger side walls and some have internal bracing to prevent the collapse of the brake track.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    A friend scooped a set; weighed em at school for 299g ea untouched.

His rims are holding out solid, he beats em worse than I beat my stuff. DT240s hubs, I can't remember what they weighed put together. Light rims for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    A friend scooped a set; weighed em at school for 299g ea untouched.

His rims are holding out solid, he beats em worse than I beat my stuff. DT240s hubs, I can't remember what they weighed put together. Light rims for sure.

299 grams...do his rims have eyelets? Does he run them tubeless? If so, what rim stip does he use? I'm wondering if these can be used tubeless via Stan's yellow tape. Thanks

ups and downs
    The rims in the original Alex XCR Pro rim thread that mentioned these were eyelet free, and that was likely part of the reason that had a limited weight capacity. The eyelets would explain the weight difference.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seven-22
    299 grams...do his rims have eyelets? Does he run them tubeless? If so, what rim stip does he use? I'm wondering if these can be used tubeless via Stan's yellow tape. Thanks
    most probably no eyelets. Eyelets add about 15-20g per rim.

Cracow, Poland
    Sep 2005
    These look very interesting, do you have their ERD? I couldn't find it anywhere...

Anyway, Nino keep us posted how they hold up

Legend
    Nov 2004
    His have eyelets, but he doesn't run them tubeless (last I saw the wheels, anyways).

mtbr member
    Nino's rim as you can see have Eyelets hence the extra 15g

The above pic with the red background looking at the rim towards the background can be seen not to have eyelets hence the sub 300g weight.

It will be interresting to see how long they last as there smack bang inbetween the Olympic Rim and the Race Rims yet appear to have a similar rim profile/design - although who knows how long this will last going by the current lawsuit.

Hack Racer
    I disagree that the Alex XCR Pro cross section is similar to the Notubes Bead Hook type...

Alex XCR Pro Rim. Notice that there is a greater flat section before the hook starts

Now compare with Notubes cross sections. Notice there is very little flat section. Which Stan's claims is what gives tires their extra volume and greater contact patch.

A good question to ask is how would the two compare in terms of lateral stiffness.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    I disagree that the Alex XCR Pro cross section is similar to the Notubes Bead Hook type...

Alex XCR Pro Rim. Notice that there is a greater flat section before the hook starts

Now compare with Notubes cross sections. Notice there is very little flat section. Which Stan's claims is what gives tires their extra volume and greater contact patch.

A good question to ask is how would the two compare in terms of lateral stiffness.
    Another question is if you run tubeless -- the Stan's design can be run with just yellow tape, for a couple of grams penalty. These Alex rims would probably need the rubber rim strips, all of mine are 60g each. That'll even things out -- might even tip the tables back.

Dunno if other, lighter tubeless conversions are available, or would work with these...

Hack Racer
    If you are going to run a tubeless conversion using non UST tires, I do not see why anyone would use anything other than stan's notubes rims. It is not like the Alex XCR Pro rims are cheap. They are more expensive that ZTR Olympics...

banned

tubeless vs. tubes....

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    If you are going to run a tubeless conversion using non UST tires, I do not see why anyone would use anything other than stan's notubes rims. It is not like the Alex XCR Pro rims are cheap. They are more expensive that ZTR Olympics...
    i am currently using prototype inner-tubes which offer lighter weight AND puncture protection at the same time on my Scale. At the same time i am running lightweight Conti Tubes on my winterbike using the same Conti raceking 2.2 tires where i get flats at least every other ride i have 5 (!!) repairs on my front tube alone...3 on the rear. i used tubelesskits for the last 7 1/2 years with maybe 3 flats total over that period. it's a whole new experience to get flats again. not that i like it but it just shows that i have forgotten how much those inner tubes $ucked.

if i would run tubeless i would use the 20g Eclipse rimstrips anyway. The Eclipse kits weighs 35g per wheel (rimstrip+valves). But correct - that's still heavier than Stan's yellow tape for sure.

But as mentioned i am running tubes that might make tubelesskits obsolete anyway

still no more details on the tubes but rest assured they are the BOMB!!

i expected to get the wheelset saturday but it turned out they didn't even have started with the build....oh-well.hopefully mid this week but we have snow right now so riding is limited anyway.

These rims are lighter than Stans Olympics and come with eyelets which is a big plus for any wheelbuilder and also for the long term.Alloy nippels tend to seize in non-eyeletted rims and also make tensioning less easy. I have to admit i was not expecting eyelets as well but i really like them now. my wheelbuilder had a big smile...
    Last edited by nino; 11-24-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast