mtbr member

Disc brake for SS Lynskey build

If the sky was the limit.....what disc brakes would be best trouble free and lightest for a bike with dt swiss 240 S.speed centerlock rear hub and 240 front centerlock hub ? This one is tough for me as I have never owned disc brakes. Thanks to all for the help getting me this close to the end of the build. Also the centerlock rotor....or adapter choice ?
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

Hack Racer
    2011 XTR

or

2010 Hope X2 Race with centreloc adapter.

mtbr member

Hope vrs. XTR brake

How does the hope mono mini pro compare to the hope x2 race ? It looks like the 2011 XTR brake would be more expensive and maybe not as good as hope but would come as a centerlock which is what I need for my centerlock dt 240 swiss hubs. This one last item for my build is gonna kill me ! The very last thing.........as usual. Thanks for the help guys everything else went swimmingly !

gone for a bike ride
    how hefty are you? do you ride steep trails? how late do you like to brake?

XTR would look great with a Ti frame + great stopping too, mineral oil so easy to maintain

09 magura Marta SL are great brakes too, they come in silver/black with ergonomic carbon levers, have great stopping power, also use mineral oil + good prices for them too

bike building is masses of fun - don't get hung up on choosing stoppers!

mtbr member

Brakes

Thanks culturesponge. The Lynskey is a single speed if that matters much. I am fairly light at 158 lbs and don't ask much from the brakes.....never had anything more powerful than v brakes and running 93 centerpull rim boys now. Big time steeps where I ride but I come down slow and brake like a newby. Is there any brand better to use with an xtr or avid centerlock rotor. Like to avoid the adapter deal but by your scale readings it wouldn't b much. I have gone pretty top notch on the build but have no problem saving a few dollars either. What would u buy ? Magura 09 or hope 2010 may be a deal. How much is the 2011 xtr.....haven't found them for sale...but I think its out there? Thanks --BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I love my m975 xtrs. They are light and have been flawless so far.

mtbr member

Xtr's

Do u remember what they weigh as complete package ? I think they will just slap right on to my 240 swiss centerlock hubs ? xtr rotor also on yours......what hubs do u have ? You can pm me also if u like. Thats what I wanted to hear !

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    BB7's with Hope's fancy centerlock discs. Lite and more than enough brake for your weight and riding.

mtbr member
    Sorry if I'm making your decision harder, but I love my XX brakes. I put a set on my FS, too.

Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member

scram xx brakes

Wow.....nice brakes and beautiful build bholwell ! When I asked about brakes at Lynskey for mySS ridgeline they suggested.....scram xx... R1's....and hope tech v2. In that order. The dt swiss 240 ss centerlock hubs deal is what makes it a bit tricky. The lighting in your pics is so good I can't tell if your frame is Satin or not....buffed ? It's too nice to ride ....... almost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal
    Wow.....nice brakes and beautiful build bholwell ! When I asked about brakes at Lynskey for mySS ridgeline they suggested.....scram xx... R1's....and hope tech v2. In that order. The dt swiss 240 ss centerlock hubs deal is what makes it a bit tricky. The lighting in your pics is so good I can't tell if your frame is Satin or not....buffed ? It's too nice to ride ....... almost.
    Thanks! Well, Avid makes some centerlock rotors, so if you go the XX route I would buy those and maybe sell the 6 bolts on fleabay instead of going the adapter route.

http://www.bikesonline.com/Avid-Cent...e-Lockring.htm

And the finish on the bike is the hand-brushed option. I think it's a more durable finish since small scratches can be buffed out with a scotchbrite pad. But it's definitely not too nice to ride!

Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member

Oh yes there will be mud !

I see we not only ride.....we race. My Lynskey will lead a more sedate life ....... mainly as a hill climber. How are the sweeeeet TI eggbeaters working for u ? I have only used shimano pedals but I was going to try them for the weight savings.... Rotational....so it's OK to spend an arm and a leg I suppose. Enjoyed your pics as did others I'm sure. Thanks

mtbr member
    How are the sweeeeet TI eggbeaters working for u ? I have only used shimano pedals but I was going to try them for the weight savings.... Rotational....so it's OK to spend an arm and a leg I suppose. Enjoyed your pics as did others I'm sure. Thanks
    Thank you. Actually, the pedals are just the regular SL version with an aftermarket titanium spindle upgrade. Best bang for the buck, and they work great- no complaints.

www.titaniumspindles.com

mtbr member

Thanks everyone..Scram it is.

Decided to go with the Scram xx brakes. Final factor was seeing them on bholwell's Lynskey race bike build and their good weight and reputation. This completes the parts needed for my 09 SS Ridgeline build......once I get them here and build it. Thanks!

mtbr member

It's always something

Ok now I see that the scram xx rotors will not work with centerlock adapters. Dt is working on a new one for the xx and xx is working on a new centerlock rotor. So in the mean time after I get the scram brakes what rotor do I buy for the dt swiss 240 centerlock hubs I have. Just when u think the game is over.....something else. Who can suggest the best lightest centerlock rotor for the scram xx brakes ? After this I go away for a bit and come back with pics later....promise !

mtbr member
    Ok now I see that the scram xx rotors will not work with centerlock adapters. Dt is working on a new one for the xx and xx is working on a new centerlock rotor. So in the mean time after I get the scram brakes what rotor do I buy for the dt swiss 240 centerlock hubs I have. Just when u think the game is over.....something else. Who can suggest the best lightest centerlock rotor for the scram xx brakes ? After this I go away for a bit and come back with pics later....promise !
    First of all, its Sram...no "c"

Second, you can get the Avid XX rotors in Centerlock. Hope this helps!

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=92402

mtbr member

Link for Centerlock Rotors...

Link:

Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    Avid makes some centerlock rotors, so if you go the XX route I would buy those and maybe sell the 6 bolts on fleabay instead of going the adapter route.

http://www.bikesonline.com/Avid-Cent...e-Lockring.htm

mtbr member

brakes

Thanks for the help and info!