I ride a bike.

New question here. Cut some weight on Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

I recently bought a Specialized FSR Comp, and I want to cut some weight off it. I only weigh 140 lbs., so I don't want any extra weight on my bike! I need some recommendations that are easy on the pocket. Thanks!

Ransomed
    Quote Originally Posted by colorado
    I recently bought a Specialized FSR Comp, and I want to cut some weight off it. I only weigh 140 lbs., so I don't want any extra weight on my bike! I need some recommendations that are easy on the pocket. Thanks!
    Hi there Colorado -

Check out the FAQ's on this forum, get parts weight listings on www.weightweenies.starbike.com, and find a huge gallery of light bikes with build lists at www.light-bikes.com.

Good luck!

GF

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Standard answers for that bike are going to be:

rear cassette
    bottom bracket/cranks
    wheels/hubs
    handlebar
    seat
    seatpost

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why?

Why are you trying to lighten your bike? Are you racing and want to increase performance? Is it just for the cool factor? If you were me, and I wanted a bike that would help me ride faster than those around me the first thing I would get are some faster tires. My stumpjumper came with Roll X race's and they are amoung the slowest tires I have. I don't know where you live, or what conditions you like to ride in so I cannot really say what some better tires might be. Specialized tires suck. I would not replace the cassette until it wears out, then get a lighter one. (XT if it were me) You might consider making a spreadsheet listing all of your parts, and thier weights. List cost too, and then you can evaluate what parts are going to give you the best savings for your money. Search the Forum for Posts by Dafiremedic. He has posted some really good spreadsheets that I copied. Very Helpful. Good luck.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    Why are you trying to lighten your bike? Are you racing and want to increase performance? Is it just for the cool factor? If you were me, and I wanted a bike that would help me ride faster than those around me the first thing I would get are some faster tires. My stumpjumper came with Roll X race's and they are amoung the slowest tires I have. I don't know where you live, or what conditions you like to ride in so I cannot really say what some better tires might be. Specialized tires suck. I would not replace the cassette until it wears out, then get a lighter one. (XT if it were me) You might consider making a spreadsheet listing all of your parts, and thier weights. List cost too, and then you can evaluate what parts are going to give you the best savings for your money. Search the Forum for Posts by Dafiremedic. He has posted some really good spreadsheets that I copied. Very Helpful. Good luck.
    In general I agree with you about Specialized tires, the exception being the Team Control/Master. They grip like crazy (better than my Racing Ralphs or Karma DTC's) and consistently do well in the rolling resistance tests. Their only shortfall is that they weigh in the 550 gram range.

Also, My guess is that the bike came with the LX cassette, which weighs over 430 grams. A $35 XT would knock off about 170 grams, a big weight/dollar savings.

I'm glad the spreadsheet was useful to you. If you want it in Excel format so that it can be manipulated, let me know.

DFM
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

I ride a bike.

response to pedalfaraway

"Why are you trying to lighten your bike?"
    I have only been riding for about five months now, but I am young and in college, so I had the summer off and rode a lot. I have caught on pretty quick to the sport, and want to continue advancing my ability, and hopefully participate in some races. That is the reason behind wanting a lighter bike.

"I don't know where you live, or what conditions you like to ride in so I cannot really say what some better tires might be."
    I ride a lot of single track in the Colorado. I don't know if you have ridden near Golden/Morrison area, but that is where I ride. The terrain is predominantly rocky and steep, with occasional roots, etc.

I have been riding five days out of the week lately, so I feel less weight would be beneficial to my performance and energy. Thanks for the advice, and I hope I have provided enough information that you could recommend some tires, and maybe some rims!...tubeless tires?
    Last edited by colorado; 08-16-2004 at 09:24 PM.