mtbr member

Custom Titanium 29+

I've decided to give 29+ a try for my next race bike. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted in any off the shelf frames, so I decided to go full custom titanium. Since I'm spending this much on the frame itself, I've decided to go ahead and invest whatever is necessary to get the "best of the best", and have a bike that I can ride and enjoy for several years.

On previous bikes, I've always had buyer's remorse. For example, my current bike has XX1 cranks. At the time I purchased them, I didn't do a lot of research and thought they were the lightest I could get. Same with my Nox teocalli rims. They are amazing and I have zero complaints, but after having ridden them for around 1300 miles, I'm fairly certain I could have gone with their lighter skyline rims. Anyway, on this new bike I'm hoping to get the absolute best components for my application, and never have to wonder about how much lighter the bike would have been if I had gone with something else.

Some info:
    I weigh 155 pounds

Durability is important. I plan to put thousands of miles on this bike, and it's very rocky and rooty here. I also like to get a little air and ride aggresively (motocross background). While saving weight is very important, I need a bike that can be ridden.

My goal is to end up with a bike around 20 pounds.

I have health issues, so comfort in the saddle is very important. That's the primary reason I'm building a plus bike.

Here's what I have in mind so far. I'm posting this here because I have very little knowledge of "weight weenie" parts. I'm familiar with the basic shimano and sram equipment, but outside of that I'm not sure what's available. Please let me know what you'd change on this build. I really appreciate the help

Frame = Funk Cycles (estimating around 4.5 pounds) (already purchased)

Rear Hub = Project 321, 12x157, 216 poe, quiet option, and ceramic bearing upgrade (already purchased)

Front Hub = Project 321, 15x110, ceramic bearing upgrade (already purchased)

Front Rim = Kappius 29 XCW, 28h, 40mm internal width, 435 grams (already purchased)

Rear Rim = Kappius XCW, 32h (already purchased)

Spokes = Sapim CX-Ray (already purchased)

Nips = Sapim alloy (already purchased)

Fork = Niner RDO Boost (Looking at this for the long AC and boost spacing)

Headset = King (not too picky on what I go with here. Never had king so was thinking I'd try them this time around)

BB = King?

Bars = Enve Sweep (have these on another bike and like them, but am open to alternatives)

Stem = Enve Carbon

Grips = ESI (might go with lizard skins dsp to save some weight)

Brakes = XTR (have also been looking at magura mt8, but no experience with them. Have had shimano on my last 7 bikes)

Post = Syntace highflex carbon (It's heavy, but I sometimes have a lot of pain while riding in the saddle and I think this could help)

Saddle = Specialized S works power (159 grams. I currently have 4 of these and they are the best fitting saddle i've ever ridden. I may be open to something lighter, but needs to be around 143mm width)

Post clamp = Funk titanium (already purchased)

Cranks = Next SL G4 (not sure if there's anything lighter that wouldn't sacrifice too much durability)

Chainring = Absolute black 32t oval

Pedals = XTR Race (open to alternatives, but has to be SPD. I have multiple bikes and 1 set of shoes, so have to have the same interface)

Chain = XTR (open to alternatives, but I've had good luck with these on singlespeeds. They seem to stretch a lot slower than KMC)

Cog & singlespeed spacers = Niner titanium (thinking ti would be cool to match the frame, but I do have some niner alloy cogs that would save weight)

Tires = Bontrager Chupacabra 29x3.0 (not the lightest at 850g, but several people are racing them around here and they seem to be the perfect plus tires for our trails)

Thanks for the help, and again, I'm looking for a light build, but don't want to get too crazy with the weight savings and have something I'm afraid to ride.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    A super-quick and lazy total for your build gives me 9360 grams, or 20.6 lbs, so your target is within reach. What you gained with the frame is more than offset with the rigid fork and rear cog. (I assume a 1500g wheelset build, 200g for the post, 90 each for rotors, 1200g for the fork, and posted weights for most of the other stuff.)

Some random comments/replies to your post:

-Will the plus tires fit the frame? Unsure if you did a custom build, but it was tough to gauge clearance from the Funk website example.
    -King headsets are well known, so no debate there. I've been pleased with a King BB on my PF30 bike, as these can often squeak, but the alloy King BB has been great - easy to maintain too.
    -You can go lighter than the Enve bars, but it will cost you. See Schmolke or MCFK for amazing examples, depending on budget of course.
    -I wouldn't waste money on a carbon stem. I have one, but the weight savings to cost ratio is poor for this piece. Go with a good alloy.
    -XTR aren't the lightest, but after trying Magura and Formula, the XTRs have been the most reliable for me, so this choice seems to match your overall build theme.
    -I'm not a fan of that seatpost, and you can go a lot lighter. I'm not sure how much the flex will help you anyway. Your call though.
    -Don't bother with a different saddle - you found one that works for you, which is amazing. Stick with it.
    -I think there are lighter SPD-compat. pedals out there, but I'm unfamiliar. I love the Crank Bros Eggbeater 11s, which are about as light as you'll get, but they use a different cleat.

Please keep us posted as to your build, with lots of pics!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    A super-quick and lazy total for your build gives me 9360 grams, or 20.6 lbs, so your target is within reach. What you gained with the frame is more than offset with the rigid fork and rear cog. (I assume a 1500g wheelset build, 200g for the post, 90 each for rotors, 1200g for the fork, and posted weights for most of the other stuff.)

Some random comments/replies to your post:

-Will the plus tires fit the frame? Unsure if you did a custom build, but it was tough to gauge clearance from the Funk website example.
    -King headsets are well known, so no debate there. I've been pleased with a King BB on my PF30 bike, as these can often squeak, but the alloy King BB has been great - easy to maintain too.
    -You can go lighter than the Enve bars, but it will cost you. See Schmolke or MCFK for amazing examples, depending on budget of course.
    -I wouldn't waste money on a carbon stem. I have one, but the weight savings to cost ratio is poor for this piece. Go with a good alloy.
    -XTR aren't the lightest, but after trying Magura and Formula, the XTRs have been the most reliable for me, so this choice seems to match your overall build theme.
    -I'm not a fan of that seatpost, and you can go a lot lighter. I'm not sure how much the flex will help you anyway. Your call though.
    -Don't bother with a different saddle - you found one that works for you, which is amazing. Stick with it.
    -I think there are lighter SPD-compat. pedals out there, but I'm unfamiliar. I love the Crank Bros Eggbeater 11s, which are about as light as you'll get, but they use a different cleat.

Please keep us posted as to your build, with lots of pics!
    Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I plan to put a spreadsheet together with all the weights, but haven't had a chance yet.

The frame is being built specifically for plus tires, so no clearance issues. Almost every dimension on this is different from the bike listed on their site. I'm also going with 12x157 rear spacing.

Thanks for the comments on the king parts.

Not familiar with schmolke or mcfk. I'll check them out.

I'll probably stick with the enve stem. Just been curious to try one, and am getting it at a really good price.

Thanks for the comments on the xtr brakes. I currently have XTR on 2 of my bikes, and XT on another. Never had a single issue and they are easy to bleed. Only reason I considered something different was to try to save some weight.

Thanks for all the info. We're currently in the design process of the frame, but are getting close to finalizing all the dimensions. There's a fairly long wait with Funk, so it's looking like August before I get the frame. I'll definitely post up some pics and ride impressions when I get it

mtbr member
    I've been searching for a US supplier for parts such as schmolke and mcfk. Looks like fairwheelbikes is an option, although I've never heard of them.

Looking around at some of the options, I'm amazed at the possible weight savings over more typical brands. I'm a little hesitant to try a super light post or bar though for safety reasons. I know most parts are designed with a safety factor to cover heavier riders, which probably results in heavier than necessary parts for a 155 pound rider, but I do ride more aggressively than an average rider.

I'm completely unfamiliar with most of these "weight weenie" brands. Which would be considered some of the more proven and reliable that are also easily available in the US?

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Those brands are reliable, and there seems to be a lot of them centered in Germany (Tune also comes to mind). You can also buy directly from Europe, and it is typically less expensive than buying from a local intermediary - especially if US:EUR is good.

You are ideal for these products given your weight, however in the case of Schmolke, you can actually specify a weight limit in the build, and the product can be made to suit that. Aside from that, these brands post specific weight limits. As reference, I am closer to 175-180 lbs, and have used an MCFK bar, stem, seatpost and saddle without issue for 3 seasons now. (Edit: and seatpost clamp, and expander.)

I forgot to mention Extralite as another known mfg (Italy).
    Last edited by phlegm; 05-22-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Specialized
    Those brands are reliable, and there seems to be a lot of them centered in Germany (Tune also comes to mind). You can also buy directly from Europe, and it is typically less expensive than buying from a local intermediary - especially if US:EUR is good.

You are ideal for these products given your weight, however in the case of Schmolke, you can actually specify a weight limit in the build, and the product can be made to suit that. Aside from that, these brands post specific weight limits. As reference, I am closer to 175-180 lbs, and have used an MCFK bar, stem, seatpost and saddle without issue for 3 seasons now. (Edit: and seatpost clamp, and expander.)

Unfortunately Martin stopped making the seatclamp . He sent me a message saying it was time consuming . Treasure that clamp Phlegm !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think your build sounds amazing!

Never worry about weight in your grips, saddle, or seatpost in mu opinion. Especially on a rigid bike those all matter for comfort way too much.

What kind of bike are you coming from now and what are your current comfort issues. I like riding 29+ but I don't really consider all that much more comfortable. More so than a general rigid bike but the geometry plays more a roll than the tires.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member

I would avoid Extralite like the plague. I've had issues with 3 of their products. Overpriced and unreliable. Also, their warranty is non-existent.

Broken CyberEnd
    Custom Titanium 29+-broken-cyberend.jpg
    When I contacted them about its abnormal deterioration (before it broke), first they played dumb saying my pictures weren't clear enough and then they called it "surface abrasion." A freaking piece of aluminum had chipped off!!! A few months later, it broke (luckily, while I wasn't riding my bike).

HyperBar
    Custom Titanium 29+-markedhyperbar.jpg
    I used carbon paste and tightened the stem bolts to 3Nm. It was used in combination with a stem that features well rounded edges at the bar clamp. After just one very light ride, spent mostly on the road, I removed the HyperBar to adjust its position just a bit and inspected it. I didn't like what I saw. I shipped the handlebar to them to have it inspected (assuming they would replace it, which they didn't do). First, they implied this was caused by me not knowing the correct tightening sequence, which I found both insulting and laughable. Then, they called it a "0.07mm deep superficial compression of the finishing surface." Anyone with good working eyes can tell it's much deeper than that. It's by very far the deepest dent I've ever seen in any of my carbon handlebars. And I've been riding carbon handlebars for a decade. I've never had this issue with any bars made by AX Lightness, MCFK or Ritchey. In fact, I tried the same stem with a Ritchey carbon bar that I had laying around and it didn't leave any marks at all. What happened here is they had little experience with carbon, but they thought they could make lighter handlebars than AX Lightness, MCFK or Schmolke. The end result is an unreliable product.

Hyper JR hub with scuffed red ring
    Custom Titanium 29+-extralite-hyper-jr.jpg
    I bought the hub brand new from r2-bike. I didn't bother complaining about it, because I figured it was just cosmetic and shipping stuff from Argentina to Europe is expensive. Terrible quality control on a 400 euro hub though.

Oh, I almost forgot. When I posted about the issue with my HyperBar on foroMTB.com, another user shared pictures of his broken one. His HyperBar broke at a non-clamping area and the grip looks intact, so they can't blame it on him missing a step in the tightening sequence nor crashing. This guy decided to throw it away and never buy anything made by them again. I should have done the same thing, instead of wasting even more money mailing my handlebar to them. Handlebar that they kept by the way. It's been 3 months, but they still haven't returned my handlebar to me, even though I've asked them several times to do it. Sergio Riva is a crook and a thief.

Custom Titanium 29+-bgm3sr.jpg
    Last edited by sfer1; 10-14-2017 at 06:55 AM.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I'm sorry to hear that. My use from them has been limited to their Blacklock axles, and they've been reliable - thankfully.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    I think your build sounds amazing!

Never worry about weight in your grips, saddle, or seatpost in mu opinion. Especially on a rigid bike those all matter for comfort way too much.

What kind of bike are you coming from now and what are your current comfort issues. I like riding 29+ but I don't really consider all that much more comfortable. More so than a general rigid bike but the geometry plays more a roll than the tires.
    Thanks, I've been thinking a lot since I started this thread. I've decided to stick with the specialized power saddle, since it's so comfortable for me. The builder highly recommends the syntace post, so I'm probably going to give that a try. The DSP grips I listed are actually more comfortable for me and more durable than ESI, but it takes a LOT of work to remove the 2 sided tape when changing grips. They really are my favorite grips, but the last year or so I've been running ESI due to how easy they are to change.

Currently riding a Niner One 9 RDO. Has a RDO seatpost that flexes some and I'm running 2.35 tires on 26mm internal rims. Biggest issue is hitting small to mid size roots, rocks, and bumps while seated and pedaling. A larger tire would help, but 2.35 is the limit on this frame. I spend most of my time out of the saddle, and have no comfort issues there, which is why riding a rigid bike doesn't bother me. I only have pain while seated. I do have a full suspension bike, but I really want a comfortable and light rigid singlespeed, and I think 29+ is probably the closest I'm going to get.

I've recently sold a couple bikes to help fund this, and they were a Niner ROS 9 and a Salsa El Mariachi. They ROS frame was very stiff and a lot less comfortable than the One 9. I was able to run 2.6 tires on it at low pressures though, and that made a huge difference in comfort. The El Mar frame had some flex and was very comfortable, but the geo wasn't quite what I wanted and it was limited on tire clearance. I also owned a rigid fatbike in the past. Even with an aluminum frame it was comfortable, but the huge 4.6 tires had too much rebound for me, and the bike also weighed around 30 pounds. After my experience on these bike plus several others, I'm thinking 29+ on a frame that has a little vertical flex in the rear will be the best compromise for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    I would avoid Extralite like the plague. I've had issues with 3 of their products. Overpriced and unreliable.
    Thanks, I'll take them off the list of options.

For now, it looks like my areas for potential weight savings are:

Bars: Undecided, but need 740mm width

Pedals: Thinking Xpedo M-Force 8 ti (saves around 70g over the XTR pedals and works with SPD cleats)

Brakes: Still undecided, but leaning toward Shimano XTR Race. I've never had a single issue with them, and I'm not finding any others that appear to be much lighter.

Cranks: Leaning toward next SL g4.

Grips: DSP would save around 28 g over ESI

Bottle Cages: Leaning toward King ti so they'd match the ti frame, but might go with a lighter carbon option.

mtbr member
    The Ritchey Superlogic Carbon Link Flexlogic seatpost flexes some and it's about 50g lighter than the Syntace P6 HiFlex.
    https://r2-bike.com/RITCHEY-Seatpost...exlogic-Carbon
    Note that German stores deduct VAT (19%) for non-EU customers.

Custom Titanium 29+-ritchey-superlogic-link-flexlogic-carbon-sattelstuetze-matte-ud-carbon-27-2-mm-350-mm-sb-15-mm-4.jpg

Custom Titanium 29+-ritchey-superlogic-link-flexlogic-carbon-sattelstuetze-matte-ud-carbon-27-2-mm-350-mm-sb-15-mm-4.jpg

I'd go with MCFK for the handlebar.

mtbr member
    Put a quick spreadsheet together and it looks like this build will end up about where I wanted. Most of the weights came from r2 bike website, where they show the parts on a scale. Some other things were estimated such as the wheels. The kappius xcw rims and nox farlow rims are approximately the same weight, so I used the weight for a nox/p321 build shown on the nox website. Not exact, but close enough to give me an idea of where this will end up.

If it ends up too heavy, these look like my options. Not sure on bars and post, so just picked one at random:

ESI to DSP grips - Saves 33g
    Syntace to schmolke post - Saves 114g
    xtr chain to kmc - Saves 9g
    Enve bars to ? - Save 80g
    Remove bottle cage - Save 28g
    180 front rotor to 160 and remove adapter - save 56

Total potential savings if I change grips, post, chain, bars, bottle cage, and rotor = 320g. Would theoretically drop the weight to 18.7 pounds

Thanks for all the help

Custom Titanium 29+-weight.png

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Looks good - nice combination of options, and good to see you are evaluating others. Please do post back once you have the frame, and ideally show us pics as you build!

Maromero
    Your MT8 weights are heavier than what I got, these are on a Turner Flux 27.5
    Name:  MT8 del.JPG
Views: 743
Size:  41.4 KBName:  MT8 tras.JPG
Views: 762
Size:  38.6 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    Your MT8 weights are heavier than what I got, these are on a Turner Flux 27.5
    I used what was shown here. I estimated how much weight would be saved by trimming the hose to the same length that shimano comes with, so I could get a fair comparison between the two. That dropped to 210 each. I assume trimming the hose will lower the weight some, but surprised to see how light yours are.

https://r2-bike.com/MAGURA-Disc-Brake-MT8

mtbr member
    His are the first version of the MT8's (which was recalled, because many of them leaked).

The current MT8 Next brakes are slightly heavier.

mtbr member
    His are the first version of the MT8's (which was recalled, because many of them leaked).

The current MT8 Next brakes are slightly heavier.
    Thanks for the explanation.

The full system including rotors looks to be lighter than XTR. I'm very hesitant to go away from shimano, but I've read the latest version of the MT8 are really nice and seem to be worth giving a try. The builder is giving me a good price on them too, and will cost less than shimano.

Maromero
    Yep, first gen MT8, this one didn't leak!

Specialized
    I also have the first version and mine haven't leaked but I guess you meant the majority .

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Ritchey Superlogic Carbon Link Flexlogic seatpost flexes some and it's about 50g lighter than the Syntace P6 HiFlex.
    https://r2-bike.com/RITCHEY-Seatpost...exlogic-Carbon
    Note that German stores deduct VAT (19%) for non-EU customers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ritchey-Superlogic-Link-FlexLogic-Carbon-Sattelstuetze-matte-UD-carbon-27-2-mm-350-mm-SB-15-mm-4.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	1138842

Name:	Ritchey-Superlogic-Link-FlexLogic-Carbon-Sattelstuetze-matte-UD-carbon-27-2-mm-350-mm-SB-15-mm-4.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	1138843

Views:	100 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	1138844

I'd go with MCFK for the handlebar.
    At 135lbs the Flexlogic hardly flexes and I have quite a bit of post showing.

No matter though, as I mainly purchased it for the weight and clamp design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
    At 135lbs the Flexlogic hardly flexes and I have quite a bit of post showing.

No matter though, as I mainly purchased it for the weight and clamp design.
    I'm 155 and currently use a Niner RDO. Even without a lot of post showing, there is a very noticeable amount of flex. On the same bike, I switch between a KS Lev Carbon dropper and the Niner RDO. The difference in comfort is similar to what it's like switching between a 2.1 tire and a 2.35 tire. That's on a rigid bike, but I experimented on a full suspension, and even with suspension absorbing the bumps, the post made a significant improvement in comfort.

Comfort is one of the design goals of this new bike, and one feature to help with that is a shorter seat tube than would normally be used on a bike this side. It will allow more post to be exposed (not too much) for more flex, and will also have the added benefit of more standover

Would have gone with another on this build, but just wanted try something different.

mtbr member
    I've had some time for a little research over the weekend, and am considering MCFK bars, stem, and post. I'm waiting on the builder for pricing, but MCFK 12 degree bars, 70mm stem, and 30.9 post will save 150g over Enve 760mm bars, Enve 70mm stem, and syntace 30.9 seat post. Seems like this brand may be up to more aggressive riding than some of the other lightweight brands.

Also looking at saddle and came across the ax lightness Leaf. The shape and width look similar to my specialized and the leather version is 65g lighter. It looks like these have had durability issues in the past, but can't find much recent info on them.

I hate working with DSP tape, but probably going to put a set of those grips on since I already have them. They are a PAIN to remove, but they last a lot longer for me than ESI. We have a lot of tight tree gaps, and it seems like the slightest bump will tear esi. I also seem to wear though them where my thumbs rub.

Also looking at other places to save weight. MCFK makes an expander plug that I'll probably go with over the one that comes with Niner. Absolute black makes a very light cap/stem bolt combo that's inexpensive. The plug and cap that come with Niner fork weighs 45.5g and the MCFK and absolute combo weighs 16.8g

MCFK Bars
    MCFK Stem
    MCFK Post
    AX saddle
    DSP Grips
    MCFK plug
    Absolute integrated cap and bolt

Savings of 276g or 0.61 pounds. I think that will safely get me under the 20 pound goal.

Waiting to see pricing before I can make a decision. The builder can provide help with pricing on my current component choices, but not sure about other brands.

These light parts could get this bike down to about the same weight as my full carbon rigid SS 29er, but cost is a factor. This is turning in to a very expensive build for a bike with no suspension or gears lol. I remember a few years ago I was on a $900 bike and thought it was amazing. One day I rode with some people on carbon bikes that cost over $3000 and I thought they were insane. Never imagined I'd even consider spending this kind of money, but the fun and health benefits of riding are worth it to me and my wife

Pictures of the 2 saddles. 159g vs 94g. Gamble is I know the specialized is durable and it's by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. Feels like it was custom made for me. I'll probably stick with specialized, but just looking at options.

Custom Titanium 29+-power-saddle-3.jpg

Name:  AX-LIGHTNESS-Sattel-LEAF-Leder.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  8.3 KB

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Ah, I forgot about AX Lightness - another Euro brand, although I've never used them.

I also tried the DSP grips, but they are just too much of a pain with the tape. However, on the positive side, I found them far more resistant to tearing than ESI (I like to snag trees), so in that respect you may not have to swap them out as often. By yeah, that tape is irritating.

On the saddle front, we both know how hard it is to find one that works. If the Spesh one works for you, I say take the extra weight. You can experiment with eBay carbon, which is cheap enough to try. You might be able to find a shape that is at least close to something you like, and then hope the flex is nice.

Specialized
    The durability issues were mostly with their seatposts . Lots of images of broken heads . I have two AX seatposts and they are still going strong but I am just waiting for the day I get a carbon shard up my ass !!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Put a quick spreadsheet together and it looks like this build will end up about where I wanted. Most of the weights came from r2 bike website, where they show the parts on a scale. Some other things were estimated such as the wheels. The kappius xcw rims and nox farlow rims are approximately the same weight, so I used the weight for a nox/p321 build shown on the nox website. Not exact, but close enough to give me an idea of where this will end up.

If it ends up too heavy, these look like my options. Not sure on bars and post, so just picked one at random:

ESI to DSP grips - Saves 33g
    Syntace to schmolke post - Saves 114g
    xtr chain to kmc - Saves 9g
    Enve bars to ? - Save 80g
    Remove bottle cage - Save 28g
    180 front rotor to 160 and remove adapter - save 56

Total potential savings if I change grips, post, chain, bars, bottle cage, and rotor = 320g. Would theoretically drop the weight to 18.7 pounds

Thanks for all the help

Name:	weight.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	1139006
    Looks well thought out. The M-Force 8 are super solid, almost at Eggbeater 11 weight, but much more robust. For brakes, I would also recommend looking at Hope Race X2s (https://r2-bike.com/bilder/produkte/...schwarz_b6.jpg), or if you want the lightest and best there is, check out the Trickstuff Piccola brakes https://r2-bike.com/TRICKSTUFF-Disc-Brake-Piccola-Set

You can get a lighter chain than the XTR one by going with the KMC X11 SL. Rock solid chain.

That's about what I had to offer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have had a few Mcfk parts and they are nice. I currently have the 12* bars. I would caution you about seats and seat posts. They will break eventually. No necessarily because of one incident, but I have had 2 just fail and fold back. Best I can tell in the rails break right at the end of the seat clamp and the seat breaks downward. Could be dangerous. At least with a leather covering, you may have some protection if this happens. I just don't think the weight savings and cost is worth it. I now have an Anvl Stealth Carbon and it is great. Approx 153g.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Lightest chain is YBN TITANIUM. $200 but has lasted much longer than any chain I have owned. Read up on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    Looks well thought out. The M-Force 8 are super solid, almost at Eggbeater 11 weight, but much more robust. For brakes, I would also recommend looking at Hope Race X2s (https://r2-bike.com/bilder/produkte/...schwarz_b6.jpg), or if you want the lightest and best there is, check out the Trickstuff Piccola brakes https://r2-bike.com/TRICKSTUFF-Disc-Brake-Piccola-Set

You can get a lighter chain than the XTR one by going with the KMC X11 SL. Rock solid chain.

That's about what I had to offer.
    Thanks for the comments. I have xtr or xt pedals on all my other bikes, so I wanted to stay with SPD. The M-force 8 are the lightest I could find, and from what I've read should be strong enough for my weight.

The builder can get really good pricing on the magura brakes, so that's one of the primary reasons I'm going that route. With their pricing, the Magura provide the best value for performance, weight and cost. A good friend of mine uses hope, and they have been flawless. Never heard of trickstuff, but they look interesting.

I've tried KMC x9sl, x10sl, x11sl, and x11sl DLC. For me, they require tightening much more often than the xtr chains. I can also ride the shimano 2 to 3 times longer than KMC before they start to get noisy. One of the reasons I ride rigid single speeds is their low maintenance, and having to constantly tighten and lube chains takes away from that.

I've taken up a lot of the builders time having them price different options. I've decided to lock in on the spreadsheet I posted above and will be going with enve bars, enve stem, syntace post, and specialized saddle. I ride aggressively and also wreck every now and then. I think for me, it's better to go with these parts since they'll most likely hold up better during wrecks or the occasional hard landings from jumps.

I'm still looking for areas to save some weight:

The niner fork has bolts on the side for rack mounts. I'm looking for nylon bolts to use in their place. I would prefer to use nylon bolts rather than go without bolts. I'm thinking that during wrecks, the bolt heads could help prevent the fork from getting scratched.

Looking for ti bolts for the rotors

I came across paragon rear axles. I'm waiting for the builder to confirm it's compatible with the frame. If so, it will save around 30g over their standard rockshox offering. SK4014: PMW Combo Head 157 x 12 mm Rear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Lightest chain is YBN TITANIUM. $200 but has lasted much longer than any chain I have owned. Read up on it.
    Have you used one on a singlespeed? Curious how quickly they stretch compared to kmc and shimano. I'll gladly spend the money on the chain if it stretches at a slower rate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post

I seriusly doubt that. Ti rollers are likely to wear significantly faster than steel ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Have you used one on a singlespeed? Curious how quickly they stretch compared to kmc and shimano. I'll gladly spend the money on the chain if it stretches at a slower rate.
    No. But mine hasn't stretch a bit in 2000 miles. I am hearing 5000 to 8000 miles out of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Save some money and weight and get a Wren sports stem. About 78 grams. I've been using one this year and have zero complaints.

mtbr member
    Finished build minus saddle, which will add roughly 159g. Met my goal of a sub 20 pound 29+ bike

Funk was excellent to work with through the entire build process. Check them out if you're in the market for a ti bike.

Custom Titanium 29+-imagejpeg_1.jpg

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Thanks for the follow up. Love it!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the follow up. Love it!
    Thanks! Appreciate all the help in this thread with the build.

mtbr member
    Awesome job with the build! I picked up a ROS9+ and converted it to SS. Still working on dropping weight. Leaning towards Nextie Crocodile 42 rims with DT350 hubs. Your spreadsheet states you were going with Chupacabra tires but your build photo shows something else. What tires are those?
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    Awesome job with the build! I picked up a ROS9+ and converted it to SS. Still working on dropping weight. Leaning towards Nextie Crocodile 42 rims with DT350 hubs. Your spreadsheet states you were going with Chupacabra tires but your build photo shows something else. What tires are those?
    Thanks!

Tires are wtb ranger 29x3.0. First ride on them today and happy so far. Lots of grip and fast.