mtbr member
    Dec 2005

custom steel/carbon townie project

Ok it's not exactly a weight weenie bike, but hopefully you can appreciate it. This is a new custom Vimana steel frame set up for belt drive use with a full carbon seat tube and a Ritchey seat mast. The wheels are AC front/Alfine rear, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, and custom carbon disc friendly rims. It also has a carbon stem/bar combo, R1 brakes, SRAM Force cranks, ESI grips, and Schwalbe Sammy Slick cross tires. I also put some Crank Brother's Mallet pedals on it to allow for dirt road/winter training miles. All the custom paint work was done by Vimana.

I wanted something to ride around town and walk the dog with and couldn't be happier with how it came out. My first impression is that it is astonishingly quiet and fast. Chris at Vimana was awesome to work with. We went back and forth on a custom geometry, ending up with something close to my 29er race bike but with quicker handling like a cross bike. The Alfine hub is great for stop and go type of riding (think stoplights and dog walking) and works great with the belt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails custom steel/carbon townie project-img_5028.jpg  

custom steel/carbon townie project-img_5030.jpg  

custom steel/carbon townie project-img_5032.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Does it weight less than 14 lbs? Nice looking!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ha, with downhill pedals and a 4lb rear hub, it is north of 20lbs. You could build it up pretty light as a SS though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Pretty sweet...it just needs a drop bar, and raced cyclocross.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    In case anyone might be thinking of drop bars with this setup, hydraulic disc brakes and the Alfine shifters present problems with that setup (for the time being), but I prefer flat bars anyway. Don't worry, I plan to tear some legs off with this thing at the local "worlds" cross practices this fall.