mtbr member
    Jan 2004

creaking s-works epic(i figured you guys were the experts!!!!)

i have had an epic s-works for about 16 months and 2000 (????) miles now, it has developed some creaking noises suddenly. i tried taking the crank off and cleaning and greasing the rings, bottom bracket shell, bottom bracket spindle, seatpost(!), seat(!), chain, and everything inbetween but it still prevails. I think the next step,although i would figure early, would be to take out and lube the pivots of the fsr full suspension (although i live in l.a. and have only rode in wet weather maybe twice).....so, my question is (since my lbs would not tell me): what lube to use, what torque specs to use, etc!!!!
    thanks in advance for your answers!!

-> SickLines.com <-
    before jumping directly to pivots.. Can you locate a general region which the creaks are comming from? Alot of creaks tend to come from the following:
    Seat/Seatpost
    Stem/Bar
    Pedals
    Chainring bolts
    Wheel-Quick release's

etc

I'd check all that before jumping to the pivots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thejuru
    i have had an epic s-works for about 16 months and 2000 (????) miles now, it has developed some creaking noises suddenly. i tried taking the crank off and cleaning and greasing the rings, bottom bracket shell, bottom bracket spindle, seatpost(!), seat(!), chain, and everything inbetween but it still prevails. I think the next step,although i would figure early, would be to take out and lube the pivots of the fsr full suspension (although i live in l.a. and have only rode in wet weather maybe twice).....so, my question is (since my lbs would not tell me): what lube to use, what torque specs to use, etc!!!!
    You might want to lube your skewers, as well as checking the stem bolts before doing the bigger items like the frame pivots although that would be a likely source of creaks as well.

Goodluck, fishy

Complete Bastard
    Isn't 16 months about twice as long as those xtr bearings are supposed to last? Might want to check those. Also check your derailleur hangar, if that thing comes loose it'll creak and drive you nuts trying to find it. I literally disassembled a bike once trying to find the creak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hmmmm.....all good info, thanks! what "xtr bearings" are you referring to????

Tom
    where are the roots?
    Another thing to think about that I read about on the framebuilders e-mail list:

There are some production aluminum bikes built with
    all main triangle tubes jigged up together, down tube
    covering the bottom of the seat tube, which leaves the
    front 1/4 or so of seat tube contacting the bottom
    bracket shell but not welded to it! This builds in a
    manageable but never completely curable creak which
    drives bike owners and their mechanics crazy trying to
    eliminate it. It has ensured that certain of us would
    rather ride a frame made out of bamboo lashed together
    than certain "big name brand" aluminum frames!
    David Feldman
    Vancouver, WA
    here's the link: source

I know something like this is not what you want to hear, but it sounds like it's a possibility in this case. I had a GT frame which had this kind of creaking.

Complete Bastard
    hmmmm.....all good info, thanks! what "xtr bearings" are you referring to????
    The crank bearings. Suppsedly the new style xtr bearings don't last very long, esp if you get water down in your bb shell.

Social Retard
    It's embarassing, but sometimes like someone else already said, it's something as simple as the skewers being dry. Now they are the first thing I check, not the last

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by the pup
    It's embarassing, but sometimes like someone else already said, it's something as simple as the skewers being dry. Now they are the first thing I check, not the last
    What do i win???

Driven by watts inside
    My '04 S-Works Epic has just developed a creak, too. It only happens when I'm out of the saddle and hammering on my left pedal downstroke. Right near the bottom of the stroke there are 3 clicks. Yesterday, I removed my bottom bracket and cleaned and greased the **** out of it before heading out for a 50 mile ride. The clicks were gone for the first few minutes of the ride, but after a few miles they came back.

I'm gonna go strip down most of the bike in a few minutes and see what I find... Wheee!

- Jeremy -