mtbr member
    Jun 2004

crankset choice?

lately i was almost certain on getting the new deus x type crankset but with the reviews im seeing im getting hesitant.some of the other choices i'm thinking about now is fsa carbon pro team issue with i dont know what kind of bottom bracket or a race face turbine with whatever bottom bracket. Also i dont think i want to go titanium.can you please tell me your crank and bottom bracket combination that youve used over the years that is light.
    "Work hard, Ride harder"

bang
    check out this thread for some ideas.

Trail rider and racer
    There seems to be a really mixed consensus on the new combo crank/BB sets. XTR have apparently had problems and so too have Dues - These purported problems may or may not be serious but since the products are so new this is to be expected, and as normal if need be, can be replaced with warranty.

I happen to think the new XT combination is a great deal, much nicer looking than XTR and less $$$ too.

Another good option is the good old FSA Carbon Pro crank-sets. They look great, they are totally durable (Been using a pair for almost a year) and shift just as good as my previous XTR crankset too. You can use either XT Octalink or ISIS BB or you can wait till 2005 when we will see in the introduction of FSAs take on the integrated combinations.

Other options include the Race face cranksets (See above link to other thread) or even the 2005 Shimano LX option which looks so very similar to the current XT range.

Just a few ideas...
    Cheers
    Trevor!
    Trev!

Driven by watts inside
    I have the new RF Deus crankset and I love it. Got it from Performance for $211 using a 20% off coupon found in the "Where are the Best Deals?" forum.

It just takes a bit (or a lot) of trial and error with the spacers to get them installed perfectly. The only "problem" I've had is a creaking in the pedal interfaces, but that was solved with a lot of teflon pipe tape on the pedal spindle threads

Currently, I think the Deus or XT cranks are the best deal. Being able to use any 4 bolt compact chainrings along with $29 replacement BB's is very nice.

- Jeremy -

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

XTR is good!

I have been riding XTR m-960 for almost two seasons now. I ride about 6 hours a week average on the mtb with epic rides and some endurance racing as well. There have been NO problems yet. The bearing still spin smoothly and all is good! Chainrings are also in great shape.
    This crankset is incredibly stiff, the larger bearings and huge steel spindle really make a difference. I would expect the other (RF and soon FSA) outboard bearing systems to be very stiff as well. The real drawback of XTR is the price and the expense of replacing rings as the XTR rings are not replaceable with anything else. My solution is to replace the chain quite often, if you replace the chain before significant stretch/wear occurs the chainrings will last a long time, also keep the drivetrain clean and lubed to reduce wear. I wash my bike with water, but not with a pressure cleaner. My bearings are perfect still. It may be that the people who have had problems with these systems are not installing correctly.
    No matter what else you decide I would very strongly reccommend going with one of the new outboard bearing system cranks, they are a significant step forward in stiffness with the added benefit of weight savings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Had problems w/ my RF Deus

Rode and raced w/ a Deus crankset for the past 3 months with the following gripes:
    1. Drive side bb bearing completely wore out (replaced w/ XT bearing)
    2. BB had lots of drag that never really went away
    3. The crank arm came loose repeatedly when torqued to manufactures spec

That said, the cranks are stiff, shift way better than XT, are light, and there's a chance that my BB issues were due to poor installation at the LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    XT Hollowtech 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Square taper...

Still using square taper as its light and bulletproof. Check out my Storcks on MTBR classifieds!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    thanks every one i like the idea of just the race face turbines or fsa carbons. what kind of bottom bracket do you reccomend. I don't need anything silly light just around 200-220 grams thats reliable and isis.
    "Work hard, Ride harder"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xsport652
    thanks every one i like the idea of just the race face turbines or fsa carbons. what kind of bottom bracket do you reccomend. I don't need anything silly light just around 200-220 grams thats reliable and isis.
    sorry isis or sqare taper bottom bracket.
    "Work hard, Ride harder"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    definitely stick with square taper if you want reliability as well as many lightweight options ...you don't need "extra" stiffness of integrated cranks unless you are a heavyweight

ISIS is going to die i think so that shouldn't even enter into the equation...

Chrome Toaster
    I've been riding two sets of 960 XTR cranks for almost two seasons now in VERY wet and muddy conditions and submerged and run UNDER water relatively frequently. I only had problems with one of them which developed a slight squeek. I traced the problem to the non-driveside bearing running completely dry after 3 months on one of the cranks. Riding like this would have ground down the bearing in a few weeks. Apparently the stock grease used in early models was too thin. I repacked the bearings with Pedros Syn grease which is extremely thick and after over a year they are still running great. There is really no reason for those huge bearing either on the RF or Shimano cranks to seize prematurely. If they do its an obvious indication they were not lubed correctly. Just make sure they are always packed with grease and they should last for a LOOONG time.
    I just installed a set of Deus cranks on a new bike yesterday but have yet to ride them since I have not finished building the bike up. As far as installation goes the RF cranks are a lot more finicky to install. Getting the spacers and shims right can be a bit confusing and I'm not so sure it was really worth the trouble to get 1mm of adjustable chainline over the XTR's which are brilliantly simple to set up. The bearings run very tight due to the seals. I'll have to see how much they ease up and if they really seal any better in the end. The XTR's run smooth from day one and the seals seem good enough. I'm very curious to compare the shifting between the two. Shifting on the XTR's is impeccable as usual.

Cheesiest
    I've been using the Deore square tapers, and they seem okay. I would replace the rings for a better set up. From the light-bikes website, they seem to weigh about as much as the turbines.

Ghetto bike parts rule. More money for beer.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I was thinking of getting the deus, but I have the same worries you have. I might get them eventually, but now the plan is square turbine lps with a phil wood bb. They are light enough and are just the best quality bbs. The cost of both sets are about the same.
    Herro prease

Just passing through....
    6 months now on my ISIS RF Next LP's with FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB, and no probs yet. Hopefully it will stay that way. My buddy is an expert class racer and has had no problems on his ISIS BB for over 2 years now. Theres been alot of reports of ISIS problems, so I wanted to report some success. And I definitely notice the increased stiffness over the square taper set up on my back up rig.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    if there is a sqare taper version of the fsa carbon team issue cranks ill do that with fsa ultimax chromoly. if not ill just do turbines with whatever sqare taper.
    "Work hard, Ride harder"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    6 months now on my ISIS RF Next LP's with FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB, and no probs yet. Hopefully it will stay that way. My buddy is an expert class racer and has had no problems on his ISIS BB for over 2 years now. Theres been alot of reports of ISIS problems, so I wanted to report some success. And I definitely notice the increased stiffness over the square taper set up on my back up rig.

Of course many people will have success with ISIS but many people have been having bad luck with it as well which is most likely attributed to incorrect installation but little bearings aren't the best idea.

Da, your claim of increased stiffness may very well be valid but it would be nice to see some proper scientific blind tests with identical bikes (not back up rigs) and cranks since the Next LP's come in both ISIS and square taper...I honestly don't think someone under 200 lbs could pass the test over a series of runs but I could be wrong...

I still prefer square taper b/c I'm a ww but would go with integrated over ISIS if I wasn't so concerned with weight ....huge bearings...just have to make sure they always have enough lube like someone mentioned.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    Of course many people will have success with ISIS but many people have been having bad luck with it as well which is most likely attributed to incorrect installation but little bearings aren't the best idea.

Da, your claim of increased stiffness may very well be valid but it would be nice to see some proper scientific blind tests with identical bikes (not back up rigs) and cranks since the Next LP's come in both ISIS and square taper...I honestly don't think someone under 200 lbs could pass the test over a series of runs but I could be wrong...

I still prefer square taper b/c I'm a ww but would go with integrated over ISIS if I wasn't so concerned with weight ....huge bearings...just have to make sure they always have enough lube like someone mentioned.
    I fully agree on the stiffness thing, its only my impression.

Also on the small bearings. I looked at the BB the other day and wondered how big those things can be inside that tiny case. Looked waaayyy too small.

I needed to go with either an ISIS or Sq. Taper because I wanted a 5 bolt compact pattern and none of the integrated cranksets have that bolt pattern.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yep, 5 bolt compact = can use Sugino CSP3R me too

well it's nice to see your ISIS is cooperating

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    does anyone know if there is a sqare taper version of the fsa carbon team issue?
    "Work hard, Ride harder"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    does anyone know if there is a sqare taper version of the fsa carbon team issue?

I don't believe so... if you are looking at carbon why don't you consider the Storck PowerArms ....the absolute lightest available

Just passing through....

Theres also the RF Next LP's, they come in sq. taper, and are fairly reasonable right now. The Storcks are nice and very light, but the price means mortgaging the house to buy them.

BTW Eurorider: Did you grab those Suginos on Ebay? I noticed they disappeared that day, I assume someone bought them with "Buy It Now".

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have been using the 960 XTR crank set. It's stiff, sorta light, beautiful and shifts amazingly. It doesn't seem to keep water out though as I've re-packed the bearings twice do to squeaking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If Q-factor (crank width) matters to you, the Deus XC is more narrow than XT. There is just enough difference to keep my knees from aching. FRM appear to be the most narrow with integrated bearings, but that is just from claimed specs. I would expect the external/integral bearing setups to last, but I don't have any experience riding them yet.

I would stay away from ISIS. The bearings are too small and any contaminant causes them to fail very quickly. I've tried many and none lasted more than 3 months without some problem. Mabye they would be OK in nothing but dry and relatively clean riding or racing.

I much prefer the 104/64 4-arm bolt pattern, so it's too bad there are no light square taper options here. My Next LP ISIS cranks were very nice until they cracked a few months ago. I still have a few sets of Specialties TA chainrings to use up with those cranks!