Thread: Cranks Delima

mtbr member

Cranks Delima

ok- heres the deal...I have a set of old race face progidy xc cranks with like an srx bb? or somthing like that...(it came with the crank)...and they are SUPER heavy and i want to get a new set. my choices are:
    612g -truvativ stylo team cranks.....but what bb?? $129
    600g -fsa afterburner cranks....but what bb?? $144
    435g -raceface turbine cranks w/ rings....but what bb?? $150

pazzaz makes a steel bb, that weighs 147g...which seems very light, but i don't know were to get one and if it is that good?

please help!
    thanks
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ok first off, the racefaces are NOT 435g with rings, I think all the weights you have there are with rings other than the race face

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Have you thought about getting an intergrated crank set?

I'm just saying this,as lots of people here haven't had good luck with ISIS. And it seems like the whole ISIS thing is being scrapped by many companies.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Integrated are all 798grams(XTR) and above, and some people complain about Q Factors. But I prefer a bottom bracket that won't disintegrate on me so I'm using the heavy, comparatively, XT 760s and would have made the jump to the new FSAs had they not been the same weight and twice the price. Still looking at them, mmm... carbon fibre, but it's a sideways move from the XTs.

mtbr member

go to this link

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/112...t--9-speed.htm

price point says that thats the combined weight...but they could be wrong..

i have thought about the integrated type thing but its too much money...
    i can't spend too much money on like xtr or xt cranks...

but please keep helping me with my issue
    JF2 Racing!

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    I'll go through this ONE MORE TIME for some of you that fail to comprehend.
    ISIS is not being scrapped, ISIS is the interface for the crankarm to bb. Outboard products still use the ISIS interface, it (outboard) simply allows the manufacturers to spec larger bearings.
    So can we all say, ISIS still exists-we now understand?
    integrated is not isis. similar idea, but it isnt isis.

sorry about the pic quality...

mtbr member

bb and cranks??!!

still looking for some reviews and suggestions....thanks!
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member

please

are the raceface turbine cranks good then?? cause thats what i am leaning for besides the stylos...but just because they are lighter...(which i don't know fursure).
    so please help me make that desicion....
    and also sugg a bb please

thanks
    JF2 Racing!

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by full_xtr_racer
    integrated is not isis. similar idea, but it isnt isis.
    What Mr. Scary meant to say is that you can still have an ISIS interface, and have outboard bearings at the same time. There are going to be some ISIS-splined, outboard bearing BBs showing up this year.

These new BBs may be moot though in the end, because the current bling is outboard bearings AND hollow spindle, something that hasn't shown up in an ISIS interface yet.

LE Reporter
    Dec 2004

Listen! Weigh of Race Face Turbine LP crankarms

Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    ok first off, the racefaces are NOT 435g with rings, I think all the weights you have there are with rings other than the race face
    Exactly, my Race Face Turbine LP crankarms (BCD 94/58, 175 mm, square taper, 2000 or 2001 model) weigh 435 g without any chainrings and without bolts.

mtbr member

in between 2 now

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Bikes
    ok- heres the deal...I have a set of old race face progidy xc cranks with like an srx bb? or somthing like that...(it came with the crank)...and they are SUPER heavy and i want to get a new set. my choices are:
    612g -truvativ stylo team cranks.....but what bb?? $129
    600g -fsa afterburner cranks....but what bb?? $144
    435g -raceface turbine cranks w/ rings....but what bb?? $150

pazzaz makes a steel bb, that weighs 147g...which seems very light, but i don't know were to get one and if it is that good?

please help!
    thanks

ok- i have narrowed down enough just to take out the afterburner cranks! lol
    BUT!- what should i do! i already have raceface chainrings so maybe i could just buy some turbine crank arms?!?! i dunno!
    but on the other hand i still want the stylo team sl cranks!
    so please help!
    JF2 Racing!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Bikes
    ok- i have narrowed down enough just to take out the afterburner cranks! lol
    BUT!- what should i do! i already have raceface chainrings so maybe i could just buy some turbine crank arms?!?! i dunno!
    but on the other hand i still want the stylo team sl cranks!
    so please help!
    If it matters(which it doesn't) I never really liked the way the truvative chainrings shifted. So thats something to keep in mind with the cost(as you may end up wanting new chainrings..).

mtbr member

The Turbine LP`s are fine...

a good strong setup but a bit heavy. The Stylos are in the same league as the Turbines. The RaceFace Next LP`s are lighter and more $, but very stiff. If you`re a big guy buy the Next. The RaceFace rings are not the lightest by any means, but if you already have them - use them, and then buy some Specialites TA`s or Boone Ti rings when the old ones wear out.

A Ti BB would save some weight. Action Tec & FRM comes to mind but there are others. A good old XT would fit the bill... strong and reliable (heavy).

If you`re feeling adventurous and money is no object buy these... Storck Power Arms Some serious "cool factor" and light!

BTW... have you been here? ... http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php
    Compare some weights and decide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    a good strong setup but a bit heavy. The Stylos are in the same league as the Turbines. The RaceFace Next LP`s are lighter and more $, but very stiff. If you`re a big guy buy the Next. The RaceFace rings are not the lightest by any means, but if you already have them - use them, and then buy some Specialites TA`s or Boone Ti rings when the old ones wear out.

A Ti BB would save some weight. Action Tec & FRM comes to mind but there are others. A good old XT would fit the bill... strong and reliable (heavy).

If you`re feeling adventurous and money is no object buy these... Storck Power Arms Some serious "cool factor" and light!

BTW... have you been here? ... http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php
    Compare some weights and decide.

thanks for the info on that.... but i am very light at 130 lbs!
    my bike is an actually pretty light bike but the cranks are really weighing it down..
    i just need some lighter cranks of the weight that i will actually be able to tell!
    my cranks now are raceface progidy xc cranks with a raceface srx bb which is really heavy!
    any idea's that are cheap....like 200 for the set of cranks and bb together?
    JF2 Racing!

mtbr member

That`s a tough call...

If you`re buying new. Go to ebay - used Next LP`s (arms only) and Ti BB together should be under 200. But then there`s shipping. Still - you should be able to.

mtbr member

specific

Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    If you`re buying new. Go to ebay - used Next LP`s (arms only) and Ti BB together should be under 200. But then there`s shipping. Still - you should be able to.

any specific kind of bb?? like any better than another??
    also would you recommend a pazzaz which weighs 147??
    thanks
    JF2 Racing!