mtbr member

Crankbrothers Cobalt SL headset disappointment

So their website would suggest the weight is 65 grams for the cobalt SLdirectset. Well, like a happy weight weenies I purchased it thinking that's what I'd be getting....instead 85.6 grams (w/o starnut) is what I received. Apparently in the description it also states preload is 25 gms. Not even sure what the hell that is (my fault obviously), however when the weights on the website states 65 gms that should be the total weight. Disappointed I was in thinking I was getting a headset that would be lighter than my extralite headset for 1/2 the price. No pics to prove since my cardreader is kaput.

http://crankbrothers.com/directsets_cobaltsl.php

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    The headset is 65grams, this is the same way Chris King and others weigh their headsets . 'Preload' refers to the top cap, starnut and bolt.

i personally think they are a great weight considering they also come with 5 year warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    The headset is 65grams, this is the same way Chris King and others weigh their headsets . 'Preload' refers to the top cap, starnut and bolt.

i personally think they are a great weight considering they also come with 5 year warranty.
    I didn't realize that. They are even at 85 grams total, much lighter than the kings at 115 ish grams. Looks like I"ll be using some lightweight topcaps and ti bolts to bring it down a bit now.

mtbr member
    yea the bang/buck on these is awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    Especially if you pick them up for a discounted price. I got my Cobalt SL from an ebay seller for $86 shipped.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    How is spending ~$90 to save ~30 grams a great deal? When I needed a new headset, I just bought a cheap FSA Orbit headset which weighed about 120 grams. It was $22.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy
    How is spending ~$90 to save ~30 grams a great deal? When I needed a new headset, I just bought a cheap FSA Orbit headset which weighed about 120 grams. It was $22.

1.i get less than wholesale on most bikes/parts.
    2. i wouldnt do this to everybike i own(about 10-11), but one or two light/race bikes its worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy

Yeah, that orbit weighs ~same as a king. Thinking of saving 1/8 lb by going with crank seemed reasonable...after all this is the weenie section. Intending to only save 30gms, the purchase would not have occurred.

A Real Winner.
    I have a Crank Bros. Cobalt C and an Opium C. They both weigh 69 grams. Just an FYI, headset weights are generally the headset cups, bearings, crown race, that ring thing that goes around the fork on the top, and the top bearing cover. Headset weights do NOT include starnuts, topcaps, and starnut bolts as these items are not "headset specific" and lighter parts can be used. For example, the Crank Bros topcap weighs in at 9 grams, but I have some plastic ones that only weigh 3.

The point is the headset weight is just for the headset itself. Here are some other 1 1/8" threadless cup style headset weights as an FYI for comparison:

Crank Bros. Cobalt C-69 grams
    Crank Bros Opium C-69 grams
    Woodman Axis SL-90 grams
    Cane Creek S8-97 grams
    King NoThreadset-99 grams
    Cane Creek S1-186 grams

All weights do not include the topcap, starnut, or preload bolt. They include everything else that is in the actual headset though. As you can see, the Crank Bros. is clearly the lightweight press in cup style headset right now. This is an easy way to drop an ounce off your bike.

Party!
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyisdope
    I have a Crank Bros. Cobalt C and an Opium C. They both weigh 69 grams. Just an FYI, headset weights are generally the headset cups, bearings, crown race, that ring thing that goes around the fork on the top, and the top bearing cover. Headset weights do NOT include starnuts, topcaps, and starnut bolts as these items are not "headset specific" and lighter parts can be used. For example, the Crank Bros topcap weighs in at 9 grams, but I have some plastic ones that only weigh 3.

The point is the headset weight is just for the headset itself. Here are some other 1 1/8" threadless cup style headset weights as an FYI for comparison:

Crank Bros. Cobalt C-69 grams
    Crank Bros Opium C-69 grams
    Woodman Axis SL-90 grams
    Cane Creek S8-97 grams
    King NoThreadset-99 grams
    Cane Creek S1-186 grams

All weights do not include the topcap, starnut, or preload bolt. They include everything else that is in the actual headset though. As you can see, the Crank Bros. is clearly the lightweight press in cup style headset right now. This is an easy way to drop an ounce off your bike.

Party!

Looks like I'll be using my extralite top cap and ti bolt to bring down the weight a bit. Now I know about stated weights for headsets.

mtbr member
    technically after your bearings are preloaded and your side bolts are tightend you dont need a topcap. Bmx kids do this alot, but then again those stems weigh 200g, not 100g,and dont have torque specs.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Thanks, I did not know that either. Funny, other headset makers don't mention that.

That said, I just installed the Opium C (DH) version for my 6" bike, and the weight savings was a good 100+g.

Note also that the C versions bearings material will be stronger than the Stainless, so if you ride in the dry, save a few additional bucks. see here: http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=The_BEST_Headset

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 06-27-2008 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    technically after your bearings are preloaded and your side bolts are tightend you dont need a topcap. Bmx kids do this alot, but then again those stems weigh 200g, not 100g,and dont have torque specs.
    Yeah, I used a schmolke top cap on my extralite setup, however on this one I guess I don't have to either, but I do have the extralite top caps around.

What lighter and cheaper..if that's possible...alternative for top caps. Tune gum gum?

I can't weld
    How much does the extralite top cap weigh? Purelycustom.com makes a great 5g aluminum top cap in any color and design you want.

mtbr member
    The best headset in the market is Kingīs one, and there is nothing that CB can do about it .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beatnik_
    The best headset in the market is Kingīs one, and there is nothing that CB can do about it .
    The "Best" is subjective. From a weenie perspective, it's not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Bike Bling . com has them a bit cheaper. The "C" 's are only $55.00 and weigh the same as teh "SL" 's
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    Bike Bling . com has them a bit cheaper. The "C" 's are only $55.00 and weigh the same as teh "SL" 's
    awesome deal on those! Those guys are here in sdiego

eBiker
    Read here and ask George : http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=The_BEST_Headset

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    funny avatar...chicken neck?

mtbr member

i disagree.

mtbr member
    Yep, itīs easier to blame on the headset. Trekīs fork is a perfect example of quality, well as the whole bike, but thatīs another question.

That Cane Creek is another example of quality. I have one of these in my bike, and a CK in another, and i canīt feel any difference handling the bike