mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Crank Swap Potential Weight Loss

I currently have a chinese carbon 29er frame with a sram 1x10 setup. The frame is BB30 and I am running a gxp crankset and BB with a Sram adapter sleeve. The crankset is from a 2011 specialized stumpjumper evo, which is called "Custom SRAM S-1250, 7050 alloy arms, 33t single ring, GXP spindle" which I do not know much about but when taken off the bike seemed surprisingly heavy.

My idea: The budget is limited, but I am considering swapping cranks to a BB30 x7 or x9 spiderless with either a HB spiderless ring or MRP when those are available. I have a HB ring currently on my SS which I could use, and replace that crank with the one coming off this bike.

I know because of that random and uncommon crank that came on my specialized this might be hard to judge, but do yall think the weight savings will be worth it? I have no idea what either way but in my hand the x7 feels lighter and with the adapter sleeve and gxp BB it seems like a good bang for the buck upgrade to switch to BB30. What do yall think? Anyone know the numbers on that crank?

FWIW the bike is chinese carbon frame/fork, bb7s, arch ex wheelset, fast trak 2.2's, x0 rear, x7 shift, specialized carbon bars, thomson post, phenom saddle and right at 21 lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anyone have any idea how much weight is to be lost here? Guesses welcome, just wondering if it would be worth the $, as right now I am seeing the crank/bb setup as the weak link in the weight loss program.