Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070

    Crank recommendations...

    Hello,

    So in the next few days i'll be fitting a Sram Red from mech to my bike along with some Scrub rotors when i get some.

    This leaves me with 1x Shimano part on my bike - which i would very much like to get rid off

    So new cranks. I use 2x9 now so im thinking either FSA K Force Light, THM Clavs (if i can get the money) Truvativ Noir Or.......

    I only want to use External BB style cranks

    Any recommendations or opinions?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Here's a quick question...

    Sram Red cranks - come with 39/54t chainrings... I can get some custom chainrings made - would it be possible to get some 5 bolt 29/30 t and 44t chainrings and fit them too one??

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hand/of/Midas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Here's a quick question...

    Sram Red cranks - come with 39/54t chainrings... I can get some custom chainrings made - would it be possible to get some 5 bolt 29/30 t and 44t chainrings and fit them too one??

    first off, i tried putting some rival cranks on my HT, nope, not possible. crank arm hit the chainstay, and i have narrow chainstays that only fit 2.0 max tire. i spaced the drive side cup out and still same problem. just wanted to warn you, know before you buy them if they will fit for sure.

  4. #4
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Here's a quick question...

    Sram Red cranks - come with 39/54t chainrings... I can get some custom chainrings made - would it be possible to get some 5 bolt 29/30 t and 44t chainrings and fit them too one??
    Road cranksets are designed to be used with a 43.5mm chainline. Mountain bikes use 50mm chainlines. Unless you have a really odd or custom mountain bike you will not be able to fit an integrated spindle road crankset on your mountain bike, as you can not easily shorten the axle going through the BB shell. Prior... square taper (or ISIS) you could potentially buy a BB w/ shorter axles and mounting road crankset spider and arms. But now with everything integrated the answer is no.

    Best crankset considering all the trade offs in strength, reliability, stiffness, cost, and of course weight... the winner for the next couple of years is always going to be Shimano FC-M970.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Oh well, that would have been trick to have some Sram Cranks! I was looking at the new Race Face Next SL's last night - there not that expensive to be honnest 350 and are 750g - minus about 30 g for the granny ring i don't use.. Then again those FSA K Force Light 2x9 cranks looking very nice!

  6. #6
    Freedom Isn't Free
    Reputation: A-Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    317
    You are going to have to go w/a mtb crank. Noirs (which I have in bound!) are perfect and can be run 2x9 w/FSA mtb rings (or other mtb BCD rings) if you want that gearing and to be "powered by SRAM."

    Or, as you have said, go w/the K-Force Light 2x9 cranks. Everyone will tell you go get XTR cranks, but I'm with you...get rid of anything that says "Shimano" on my bike!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,273
    To me this is the best dela for lightweight cranks out there. The only problem is their are no reviews.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/AEROZINE-X12-SL-...742.m153.l1262

    Erik

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    well...

    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    To me this is the best dela for lightweight cranks out there. The only problem is their are no reviews.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/AEROZINE-X12-SL-...742.m153.l1262

    Erik
    to me the "best" are the ATIK crankset.

    almost identical to the Aerozine above but they come with titanium spindle and ceramic-hybrid bearings: 718g - that's already 70g lighter than XTR!

    and with lighter rings such as FRM you can get them as low as 669g (Triple!)


    BUT i am planning to do a 2x9 conversion on such ingerated triple cranksets. i will do 27/42 which is what FRM also offers.that's the ideal gearing for crosscountry. such a ATIK crankset should weigh no more than 630-640g!

    i also had the FSA 2x9 on my scale: 712g
    BUT they have a custom bolt-circle! you can't fit other rings on them.and the 44 chainring alone weighs 100g...

    forget about those claviculas! those prices are just ridiculous!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Yes getting rid of Shimano branding from my bike is the priority but what ever replaces it can't be heavier (preferably lighter)

    Those Aerozine cranks are availalbe here in the UK actually - cheap too. No reviews as you say though....

    Are Noir cranks wider than XTR cranks?

  10. #10
    Freedom Isn't Free
    Reputation: A-Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    317
    Quote Originally Posted by nino

    i also had the FSA 2x9 on my scale: 712g
    BUT they have a custom bolt-circle! you can't fit other rings on them.
    Ah...didn't realize the FSA 2x9s had a custom BCD. Figures...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    We have the Aerozine Ti cranks here:

    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/produ...roducts_id=144

    But the arms don't look like they'd be too stiff....

    Those 2x9 FSA cranks are nice just a shame about the rings. Whatever cranks i get i want to fit a Titanium middle ring for durability - might get away with hiding a Carbon/Ti XTR ring there.....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i also had the FSA 2x9 on my scale: 712g
    BUT they have a custom bolt-circle! you can't fit other rings on them.and the 44 chainring alone weighs 100g...
    Nino,

    I'm shocked. How long would it take to have that chainring down to 65-70g with careful Dremel and drill press application?

    Tiffster,

    I'm sure Mattias could easily make you whatever chainring you wanted to go on those FSA cranks, no matter what the BCD.

  13. #13
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Are Noir cranks wider than XTR cranks?
    2mm wider Q factor on the Noir.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Hmm that's interresting the XTR's are wide as it is.. I assume the chainrings are further out too which might cause problems with my Sram Red front mech setup.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    holy sh!t

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    We have the Aerozine Ti cranks here:

    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/produ...roducts_id=144

    But the arms don't look like they'd be too stiff....

    Those 2x9 FSA cranks are nice just a shame about the rings. Whatever cranks i get i want to fit a Titanium middle ring for durability - might get away with hiding a Carbon/Ti XTR ring there.....
    300 pounds???

  16. #16
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Hmm that's interresting the XTR's are wide as it is.. I assume the chainrings are further out too which might cause problems with my Sram Red front mech setup.
    51mm chainline on the Noirs.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,770
    I've posted positive comments about the Aerozine comments before. Unfortunately since then i've had some issues with the left crank arm coming loose a few times. The cranks have been stiff enough for me and shifting has been good, but the arm coming loose even after putting Loctite on the single pinch bolt and spindle bolt, checking the torque is correct, etc has happened too often for me to want to keep the cranks.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tiffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Nino - what's up with the price??

    Thanks for the chainline on the Noirs. I suppuse i'd need to test ride them might wait till after Interbike to make sure theres not some lighter ones coming etc...

    Sounds bad about the crank arm coming off

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation: nino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,770

    simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Nino - what's up with the price??
    it's too high

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    21
    What about the Rotor 2 x 9 - Aquilis? Use External BB and seem like the business?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12
    In which lenght are available this crankset?

    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    to me the "best" are the ATIK crankset.

    almost identical to the Aerozine above but they come with titanium spindle and ceramic-hybrid bearings: 718g - that's already 70g lighter than XTR!

    and with lighter rings such as FRM you can get them as low as 669g (Triple!)


    BUT i am planning to do a 2x9 conversion on such ingerated triple cranksets. i will do 27/42 which is what FRM also offers.that's the ideal gearing for crosscountry. such a ATIK crankset should weigh no more than 630-640g!

    i also had the FSA 2x9 on my scale: 712g
    BUT they have a custom bolt-circle! you can't fit other rings on them.and the 44 chainring alone weighs 100g...

    forget about those claviculas! those prices are just ridiculous!!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    I've posted positive comments about the Aerozine comments before. Unfortunately since then i've had some issues with the left crank arm coming loose a few times. The cranks have been stiff enough for me and shifting has been good, but the arm coming loose even after putting Loctite on the single pinch bolt and spindle bolt, checking the torque is correct, etc has happened too often for me to want to keep the cranks.
    A friend I ride with has also had this problem. Having just one pinch bolt does not appera to be enough.

    I had a K-Force Light triple on my bike but had a really strange issue with the chain not wanting to settle on the big ring after a shift. This caused one accident and I swapped it out for an XTR (this was not an adjustment issue and the chain stretch (XTR) was fine).

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm
    A friend I ride with has also had this problem. Having just one pinch bolt does not appera to be enough.

    I had a K-Force Light triple on my bike but had a really strange issue with the chain not wanting to settle on the big ring after a shift. This caused one accident and I swapped it out for an XTR (this was not an adjustment issue and the chain stretch (XTR) was fine).
    That bolt design is awful. The best way to fix the left crankarm to the axle is how shimano do with it's XT/SLX line.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm
    I had a K-Force Light triple on my bike but had a really strange issue with the chain not wanting to settle on the big ring after a shift. This caused one accident and I swapped it out for an XTR (this was not an adjustment issue and the chain stretch (XTR) was fine).
    That is rumored to happen to them if you forget a wave washer on the left side during an installation.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    189
    I'm curious - why get rid of all Shimano? Is it:

    Political - Dont like stuff from that part of the world?
    Aesthetic - Dont like the look of them?
    Too ordinary - You dont want stuff on your bike that most people have?
    Functional - You dont like how they work?
    History - Have you had a bad experience with them in the past - things breaking,etc?
    Weight - Just not light enough?
    Image - They dont have the right 'image' or emotional charge to them?
    Coordination - Want to coordinate your stuff in some way and Shimano doesnt fit?
    Something else I've missed?

    I ask because I went through a phase of not wanting Shimano because of a few of the reasons above but realised eventually that it was just silly. If it works well, good weight, price, durability etc (like their XTR cranks) why not use them?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    678

    Tricone I agree completely

    Been riding mountain bikes for almost 20 years now and I looked at the above posts and asked my self the same questions you have posted above. All I know is the newer xtr cranks are stiff as hell and still pretty light. Riding Sram sure as hell isnt anti-establishment.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    That is rumored to happen to them if you forget a wave washer on the left side during an installation.
    Thanks for the tip. That makes perfect sense. The wave washer was in place but perhaps had weakened slightly over time or I didn't have the left crank fully tight.

    The cranks were great in all other respects so I'll be happy to move them onto another bike. The bike they came off was XTR for the rest of the drivetrain, so at least now everything matches.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2times's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    335
    What on-line stores sell the Atik cranks ?

  29. #29
    illuminator82
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    251

    cuz

    shimano changes $h*t just to change. i remember when they went from a square taper bb, to octalink one, octalink two, to external bb three. christ, needed a fricken different tool to change the crap out, and i still say i dont really think the new bb's are any stiffer than the older square taper bb's, and the internal bearings lasted much longer.
    remember shimano went dual control, crash and replace with another $200 part, and then the retarded rapid demise than would never stay ride tuned and would tick endlessly.

    now i did not say it does not shift well, and last a long time, just they can be frustrating.
    Last edited by brook_63@yahoo.com; 10-06-2008 at 08:15 AM.

  30. #30
    Lefty Heaven
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    102
    Tiffster
    This may be a dumb question, but why not Middleburn? I'm not familiar with their BB set up. Is that the problem?

    They seem like an obvious option.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stevemtu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    738

    I tried the aerozines

    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    To me this is the best dela for lightweight cranks out there. The only problem is their are no reviews.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/AEROZINE-X12-SL-...742.m153.l1262

    Erik
    Maybe I got a lemon...but, the spindle/chainrings were not true (chainring wobble). I tried them on three different bikes. The other problem was that there is only a single, small, bolt on the non-drive crank arm which I could not keep tight (loctite etc) so the crank arm kept coming off. The 'picture' on ebay showed two tightening bolts like on the xt, which might have worked, but that is not what I got. So...I went back to Shimano xtr. I hate to say it, but the xt and xtr are the only external crank/bottom bracket that I have ever used that lasted for more than 1000 miles with no creaking or bearing failure. The truvative and american classic stuff was just too 'sensitive' for me. I have never tried race face or fsa though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.