Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Crank Brothers Triple-Ti Eggbeater Pedals

Any users of the above-mentioned pedal here?
    What is your weight and what is your verdict?

I fluctuate between 160 lbs and 170 lbs.
    That seems awfully close to the 185 lb weight limit suggested by Crank Brothers.

Maybe the Twin Ti (with cro-moly steel axle - no weight limit) is a better idea for me?

Do share your opinions / expertise!

Thanks!

-Lost81

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Candy Ti Pedals

I weigh 190# and have been riding XC only for 3 months and no problems! I pull them apart
    and regrease every 2-3 weeks take 5 minutes. I'm more concerned with the junk inboard
    bushing than the spindles !

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

im selling mine for half the price MSRP

I weigh 160lbs w/ gear. I prefer the 959 over eggs. Contact me off board if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I Love Mine!!!

I have had mine( triple ti) for over a year and a half with 20 races in 04+ training rides. I just sent them to Crank Brothers last week for a rebuild. No problem even at 170 lbs. If you can stand the price they are IMO the best pedal out there for racing!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi, 2 years of racing and training (5000+ km) on them, and I weigh between 175 and 185 lbs (depending on the time of year). No problems at all! Last year, I changed the bushings by precaution. Maintenance is a snap with the grease port.

Now, I don,t do hucking or stuff like that! Exclusively XC racing! Keep that in mind...

Luego!
    CODMAN MCM#101

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Depends on your riding style...

I'm a big fan of eggbeaters in general (they're on all my bikes- even my road ride). As far as the ti spindle is concerned, I've had no problems, but I know a guy who bent a spindle on his. While his weight is about the same as yours, he's friggin nuts; too fast for his hadling skills and absolutely fearless, so I'm not surprized he messed one up. However, even his lasted over two years.

Basically, I imagine the pedals are suitable for a 200lb mild-mannered rider, but may not be for a 160lb crazy hack. If you fall somewhere in between, you'll probably be just fine following the weight recommendation by crank bros. If you have the cash and want the extra weight savings, go for it. Crank Bros is awesome about replacing stuff, and they'll bend before they break anyway, so you'll probably be pretty safe all around.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    So is it the general consensus that the Egg-Beaters Triple Ti are better pedals than the Shimano M959?

I have shimano M515 on my touring bike, M747 on my Specialized M2.
    Going to the Egg Beaters for my Merlin Mountain will mean I need to get another pair of cycling shoes.
    I want to be really sure before changing to a completely different platform.

Thanks.

-Lost81

bike weenie
    Weight wise, eggs win no contest - but at a hefty price (triple ti). In dry conditions... I still prefer how Shimano pedals feel clipping in and out. Where there's mud - eggs over the 959s. Hard to say one's definitely better IMO.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Different, yes... better for some

Quote Originally Posted by Lost81
    So is it the general consensus that the Egg-Beaters Triple Ti are better pedals than the Shimano M959?
    As I see it, there are three catagories (styles, if you will) of mtb pedals.

1: Shimano style (or Ritchey, or anyone who copies the design). They are stable, have little float, and fair to good mud clearance.

2: Speedplay. They have a unique designe that is good in mud and provides lateral float without sacrificing stability.

3: Eggbeater- Time (wire retention system). Best mud clearance by far (especially the eggbeaters), and provide moderate float. Times are a little more positive when clipping in, eggbeaters slightly easier to get into and out of.

I started out with shimano style pedals and switched to Time ATACs and then eggbeaters. In my opinion, the eggbeaters are the best, but that's just how I feel about them. If you like a really solid, locked-in feel, I'd stick with shimano style unless you really want the extra mud clearance and weight savings (and servicability).
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    Just an update here, folks.

Thanks for all the valuable advice.

I bit the bullet and paid $279.99 + S&H on eBay for a pair of NIB Triple-Ti Eggbeaters.
    They are a beauty indeed. The presentation box is really overkill though.

Next to the Shimano 747, they are featherlight

Thanks again.

-Lost81

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Crank Bros Stainless 266g = $85
    Crank Bros Triple Ti 185g = $295

81 grams and $210 difference = $2.60 per gram! AND you are getting a part that will potentially be the weak point as the manufacturer warns.

Is your bike that light, that no other part can be upgraded to yield better than $2.60/g

mtbr member
    can't forget that the pedals are rotating weight as well, so it might be worth it to upgrade that over other parts that will yield better price/weight savings

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ctracer01
    can't forget that the pedals are rotating weight as well, so it might be worth it to upgrade that over other parts that will yield better price/weight savings
    They are not in the sense you are trying to pass them off. Not even close.

mtbr member
    physics 101:

a lighter mass will accelerate faster than heavier mass. cooperatively, a machine that has less weight in moving parts will accelerate faster than a machine with more weight in moving parts.

no it's not as important as your wheels, never said it was. but it's far more important than your seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebar, shifters, brakes, etc....

plus, about the manufacturers warning: every light part made has a potential weak point. "light, strong, cheap-pick 2" will only extend so far. there's a certain point where you have to accept that the weight savings you are gaining will lead to a less reliable product. crank bros has simply pushed the envelope as to require weight restrictions beyond the "normal" limits of the day. same thing with the turner nitrous, sid's, certain rims, the list goes on. these products are simply not built for everyone, and the buyer has to accept that, and take into account those limitations, or they shouldn't be buying it in the first place

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Black you are right that 2.60$/g is steep...

But how many other parts can you save 81g by changing a single part? Ultra-light handlebars usually save around 25-40g, seatposts maybe 40g, saddles... saddles you can actually save a lot on... But most other components you can,t save all that many grams on! And if you compare the weight savings compared to a Shimano, or time Ti, we are talking in the 150-180g savings!

If trying to be an ultimate weight weenie, the pedals remain an excellent buy (not per gram as stated above, but rather in a total weight reduction perspective). And unless you are treating your ultralight ride like an all mountain/ FR bike (which most weight weenies don't cause they know better), the pedals are very durable!

Just my 0.02$!

Luego!
    CODMAN MCM#101

mtbr member
    i was riding shimano 747 pedals since 96, then in 2002 i tried the eggbeaters and the difference in weight is pretty noticiable but i had to give up due to lots of durability issues. now im back to 747 and looking foward to get a set of 959 this month. eggbeaters are excelent racing only pedals.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

03 eggs got upgraded...

Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    ... in 2002 i tried the eggbeaters and the difference in weight is pretty noticiable but i had to give up due to lots of durability issues...
    Crank Brothers changed the internals on the 03-and-later models and added a grease fitting so they are now more durable and very, very easy to maintain and rebuild.

HTF
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctracer01
    physics 101:

a lighter mass will accelerate faster than heavier mass. cooperatively, a machine that has less weight in moving parts will accelerate faster than a machine with more weight in moving parts.

no it's not as important as your wheels, never said it was. but it's far more important than your seatpost, saddle, stem, handlebar, shifters, brakes, etc....
    That got me thinking, ctracer01,

I am using the Sun Ringle R.P.M. X-Lite wheelset (24 spokes front; 28 spokes rear)
    They are already light. But I wonder if swapping out the double-butted 14/15, stainless steel, DT spokes for titanium will not only make the bike "feel" lighter, but accelerate faster as well. Titanium spokes require special expertise though, and paying someone to rebuild wheels will cost more than a set of the wheels, new.

-Lost81

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

If you're switching spokes...

and if you're willing to pay for Ti, forget them and pay for Sapim CX-Rays instead. Unlike Ti spokes, which are a pain to build with and bend/break easily, Sapim CX-Rays build up beautifully and are the STRONGEST testing spokes on the market. They are nearly as light, provide aerodynamic profile (which isn't much of a big deal on mtb, but hey), and look super cool.

Let's put it this way: The Banesto pro road team used them for like 10 years. They were light and reliable enough for pro roadies. THE SAME SPOKE is used on pro DOWNHILL bikes.

Of course, they take ol' Kieth's adage "Strong, light, cheap- pick two" to an extreme. Some of the lightest available, strongest, and most expensive spokes around.

Forget Ti- Sapim CX-Rays are the way. See the wheels forum for more info and similar testimonials. I love mine- worth every penny.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    wazco whats your email?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    Crank Brothers changed the internals on the 03-and-later models and added a grease fitting so they are now more durable and very, very easy to maintain and rebuild.

HTF
    i know that, but what about the spring tension? is it better now? my 02 lost noticiable spring tension in less than a year of riding. i think shimano 959 is still much more trouble free and more durable.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Dude!
    I love the EB Candy SLs as they are relatively light and have that platform for times when you make ride without mtb shoes or when clipped out. About 100 grams heavier than the Ti but lighter than most other pedals. They rule. Plus got mine for 70 bucks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

here it is

Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    wazco whats your email?
    nsaturay@comcast.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

... and if we just ...

When I was considering these I found it was cheaper to buy the twin tis and the ti axle kit and make your own. I decided against 200 dollar pedals though in favor of 11 dollar brand new m505s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    do the triple ti's have any new adjustments, as in spring tension?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast